The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
1LowToy

New Springs- \Stock on Beltechs

I tried lowering with beltechs and cutting a coil of my old springs and it was just too low and I had fitment proplems with the 15x8 rallys (pic 1). So I ordered up some stock light duty Moog front springs. It brought it up at least 2" maybe a hair more (pic 2). I have plenty of clearance now, although I have ground a good amount of my lower control arms. I plan on letting it settle for a while to see if I like the stance befor I beef them up. I still have the chevy lean but I have narrowed that down to the right rear spring as being a bit weak. So maybe I can trade my weak right spring for someones left rear spring and we will both be leveled out

In the process I seemed to have lost the plate off my floor jack. I looked all over for that thing. Drove around the block three times, road my bike twice and walked around once. It simply was nowhere to be found. Till.....

Attached Images

Last edited by 1LowToy; 03-05-2011 at 06:57 PM.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Pop's C-10

Re: New Springs- \Stock on Beltechs

I think i found it...lol
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
lilpoindexter

I think i found it...lol
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
72 Super

I like the stance, looks great. Don't forget the plate for your jack

Ray
Old 03-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Chlorin8ed

Is that a new skid plate??? I have never seen one before, where did you get it?

Just kidding, I like the new stance
Chlorin8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
1LowToy

Still a ways to go, but at least I know which corner is low, and another place to look for my tools.

Does anyone know where I can find these items?:

Flat or lower profile front sway bar hangers. I thought LMC had them but I can seem to find them in their catalog.

Rear shock relocation brackets. Only place I've found them is in flip kits. If I could see the design I'm sure I can fab some.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LowToy View Post
Still a ways to go, but at least I know which corner is low, and another place to look for my tools.

Does anyone know where I can find these items?:

Flat or lower profile front sway bar hangers. I thought LMC had them but I can seem to find them in their catalog.

Rear shock relocation brackets. Only place I've found them is in flip kits. If I could see the design I'm sure I can fab some.
Use some 2" square tubing notched for shock clearance. I've done it more than once w/success.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
mooseknuckles

awesome! lol.
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LowToy View Post
Does anyone know where I can find these items?...Flat or lower profile front sway bar hangers......
You can buy the low profile sway bar stands at Early Classic Enterprises (ECE). They are listed under 67-72 but its the same thing.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #10
mooseknuckles

I made my own by sectioning a 1" piece out of them and welding them back together.
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #11
JAG66

1LowToy,
Just curious how you would adjust your right rear up with the flip kit? Could you wedge some hard rubber between the leafs to help the weak spring?
JAG66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:03 AM   #12
1LowToy

Three ways are available

1 New or re-arched springs

2 See pic three and quit laughing lol. See the rivets mounting the shackle hanger. Move shackle hanger lower on the frame on one side. (hasher effect)

3 Heat the spring near the shackle and bend it down. (Not recommended at all! Real Redneck Hash job).

I hope to take apart the springs along with another set I have and make up a matched pair arch wise. If I feel it's setting too low then move the rear shackle hangers lower on the frame. I'd rather go up an inch than do a c-notch. Makes the truck more driveable than a parked show piece. That's one of the reasons for raising the front back up. The front lower control arms are really to low for practical use. If I were to do this again I would use a 2.5" spindle and a 1" lower spring. Especially with 15x8 rallys.
Attached Images

Last edited by 1LowToy; 03-06-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:22 AM   #13
1LowToy

Oh and thanks so much for the line on the easy fab job info for my sway bar and shock extensions. I'll be a lot closer to a driver and still have money left for some gas.

On second thought you may be right about some wedges in the RR spring. Let me think, that would support the arch of the spring. In fact I think thats a GREAT IDEA!!!

JAG66 I think you have just fixed the chevy lean!!

I'm headed to the hardware store tomorrow to get some teflon pads to place between the support springs at the ends.

Last edited by 1LowToy; 03-06-2011 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:41 AM   #14
JAG66

I don't know how much higher you want to adjust the RR, but adding another helper spring would work too. Or modify a shackle to get a shorter centerline.
I'm interested in your 3/5 drop with ralleys because that's what I'm planning with my stock 87. (DJM 3" spindles, not cutting stock spring) Mine is a daily driver.
Are your Bell Tech spindles 3"? Did you have to grind the brake caliper much?
Old 03-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #15
1LowToy

I didn't have to grind on the spindle or calaiper at all. The problem was the 8" wheel and the 3" beltech spindle. The lower contol arm is too close to the wheel. It would likely work with a shorter ball joint that would locate the control arm closer to the spindle than the wheel. I could have went with a 7" wide rally and it would have been a fit. Like I said if I were to do it again I'd go with a 2.5 spindle and a 1" lowring spring. If there is a shorter ball joint out there I'd try that to get more LC to wheel clearance. I have also used a 3/16" spacer to move the wheel out. This issue is disclosed in the Beltech instructions. Maybe I can get a good machinist to sink the lower BJ mount by .25" and .25" a washer on top. Simpler yet get a 2.5 drop spindle and unload mine on someone who has the green for 18 or 20 wheels. For me I'm on a fixed income (I'm married) There is much more clearance with stock springs by the way. In the pic with the can was with one coil cut off and as you can see ther is little to no real clearance at the wheel and poor road clearance.

Last edited by 1LowToy; 03-06-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #16
boatpuller

i had the same problem with my beltech 3 inch spindles and stock rallies.i was using their 1 inch drop spring.and mine rubbed in the same spot your describing around the ball joint area.the fix for me was 17 inch wheels and sleeping on the couch for a month.....i'm married too. have been for 26 years.so.i must be doing something right.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #17
f.monroe

You can also adjust the LR a little to match the RR by using a spring shackle from the 88 and up trucks . They are just a little longer than 73-87 trucks by about 1/2 inch . If you install one of those on the drivers side it will help bring it down a little to match the right rear . One other trick is to swap the leafs from side to side if you have a single tank truck . The weight of the fuel settles the spring on that side a little more over the years .
Frank
Old 03-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #18
willstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe View Post
You can also adjust the LR a little to match the RR by using a spring shackle from the 88 and up trucks . They are just a little longer than 73-87 trucks by about 1/2 inch . If you install one of those on the drivers side it will help bring it down a little to match the right rear . One other trick is to swap the leafs from side to side if you have a single tank truck . The weight of the fuel settles the spring on that side a little more over the years .
Frank
Hmm. The rear of my lifted 4x4 truck is just a bit lower than the front, would these spring shackles work for 4wd?
Old 03-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #19
1LowToy

Well I found some teflon this morning and gave it a shot. No luck at all with that theory. It made no change. The springs are just mush. The teflon would be a good idea for a spring isolater but nothing further.

I'm .75" lower on the RR and I think I would like that clearance back so I don't need a C-notch.
Time for new springs, or..........

As for grinding on the lower control arm it's an ugly thing to do, but I have spares and I planned on beafing them up from the underneath side anyway.

I don't like sleeping on the couch so another set of wheels is out for now.

Last edited by 1LowToy; 03-06-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #20
JAG66

Sorry the teflon spacers didn't work for you. Curious, did you jack the truck, let the leaf springs hang and seperate to get a gap in between? How thick were your teflon pads? Installed in spring gaps behind axle?
I assume you have the basic flip kit? You are showing 4 leafs in your spring pack. Has one been removed? For reference, my stock 87 SWB has 6 leafs per spring pack. From your picture, looks like your axle is close to your frame (as you know). How much travel between axle and frame?
Frank has a good idea about the later model shackles also. I just installed a stock pair from my 98 on my 86.

Excuse all my questions, I tend to over-analyze, overplan, take a while to make a decision. I just like being informed.
Jeff

Last edited by JAG66; 03-06-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #21
1LowToy

No problem JAG66. I found some .25 material jacked it up and pryed open the rear of the spring and slid it in as far as I could. I made the teflon piece about 2.5x7". I have 3.0" left and about 2.25 clearance on the right. Just seams a little close for comfort for Old Guys. Seems sad as I horse traded off two sets of spring hangers and shackles before I made a flip kit for $10. Now I gotta go back up again.

Last edited by 1LowToy; 03-06-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #22
f.monroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG66 View Post
Frank has a good idea about the later model shackles also. I just installed a stock pair from my 98 on my 86.

Jeff
Hey Jeff ,
Did you measure them from the center of the mounting holes and compare the older shackles to the newer ones? I cant remember what the difference was exactly since it was years ago that I used this trick on my truck. I thought it was between 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch difference .
Frank
Old 03-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #23
JAG66

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe View Post
Hey Jeff ,
Did you measure them from the center of the mounting holes and compare the older shackles to the newer ones? I cant remember what the difference was exactly since it was years ago that I used this trick on my truck. I thought it was between 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch difference .
Frank
Not much difference:
98 shackle 4 1/2"
87 shackle 4 3/16"
I also have 98 Dodge shackles that are 4 13/16"
For reference, I installed Bell Tech shackles that were 3" more centerline of holes than stock shackles and netted 1 1/2" drop. So, the difference in centerline does not mean that's what your net drop will be.
Jeff