The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
CEE1NG_RED

...How to check if a dash w/ tach is working and for a v8 model.

...I'm going to check out a dash w/ a tach tomorrow, but I need some help. How do I check if the dash is functioning/working and how do I know if the dash w/ the tach is for a v8, not a I6. Thanks in advance!!!
- 2003 Ford SVT Cobra "Terminator" 281 (Once in a blue moon driver/weekend driver)
CEE1NG_RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: ...How to check if a dash w/ tach is working and for a v8 model.

It will be stamped on the back of the tach, either 6 cyl or 8 cyl. Chances are it is for an 8 cylinder. The only way to see if it works is to hook it up and run it. Make sure it is grounded, or you will fry it.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by leddzepp; 05-02-2011 at 08:31 PM.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
CEE1NG_RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
It will be stamped on the back of the tach, either 6 cyl or 8 cyl. Chances are it is for an 8 cylinder. The only way to see if it works is to hook it up and run it. Make sure it is grounded, or you will fry it.
Can I use a voltmeter to see if all the gauges work??? I can't hook it up to a vehicle since he sold his c10 and mine is currently not running. Anyway to ensure that it's functioning? Use a car battery??
- 2003 Ford SVT Cobra "Terminator" 281 (Once in a blue moon driver/weekend driver)
Old 05-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
smorg007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE1NG_RED View Post
Can I use a voltmeter to see if all the gauges work??? I can't hook it up to a vehicle since he sold his c10 and mine is currently not running. Anyway to ensure that it's functioning? Use a car battery??
I received this from another board member to test my tach and it a good way to do a bench test without risk of damage. It worked for me.

Here's what to do with ohm meter.
Take one lead and place on the white wire going to the meter asm and the other lead to the black wire on the board. The tach needle should deflect up the rpm scale. If it deflects downward, reverse the ohm meter leads and redo. If you have no movement from the tach meter, then it is damaged and will need to be repaired.
smorg007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
CEE1NG_RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorg007 View Post
I received this from another board member to test my tach and it a good way to do a bench test without risk of damage. It worked for me.

Here's what to do with ohm meter.
Take one lead and place on the white wire going to the meter asm and the other lead to the black wire on the board. The tach needle should deflect up the rpm scale. If it deflects downward, reverse the ohm meter leads and redo. If you have no movement from the tach meter, then it is damaged and will need to be repaired.
Okay...put one needle on the white wire and the other needle on the black wire that's at the back of the gauge/dash cluster. How will the tach meter move when using a ohm meter??? Also, how do I make sure that the other gauges work as well? Will it move like you stated about the tach meter?

How much doe repairs usually cost??
Old 05-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
smorg007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE1NG_RED View Post
Okay...put one needle on the white wire and the other needle on the black wire that's at the back of the gauge/dash cluster. How will the tach meter move when using a ohm meter??? Also, how do I make sure that the other gauges work as well? Will it move like you stated about the tach meter?

How much doe repairs usually cost??
Like mentioned in my original post the tach meter will move up the rpm scale and peg out at 5000 rpm. I did not test any other of my gauges because they were in my working cluster in my truck. I was buying and installing a tach to add to my cluster. So I don't have the answer about the other gauges. The board member who offered me advice and info was DAVE of DND Trucks. Maybe you can send him a PM and ask him if he knows. Tach repairs quotes from several internet companies were between $300-500. (More than the tach was worth.) Good luck.
smorg007 is offline   Reply With Quote