The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Angry Ever want to shoot an engineer?

Who designed these dash pads & their mounting? Crud those clips are worse than dealing with multiple ex-wives (and I have had that experience). I am attempting to put in a new on in the 83.

I had to walk away for a while.

OK, Rant done.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
bluex

Re: Ever want to shoot an engineer?

Yes almost everyday. I feel your pain, hope it goes better after the break....
Posted via Mobile Device
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
lilpoindexter

As an engineer that used to work in the Auto Industry, I can tell you we do/did the best with what budget we had. Ease of assembly, cheapness and functionality were all considerations.

So no, I never wanted to shoot an engineer...but the ex-wife...that I understand.

Last edited by lilpoindexter; 06-11-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: ex-wives
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
broey
Square

I used to work for chrysler, and they told us that everything would be designed by different groups, in different areas. and then they would meet up, put all their crap together and as long as somehow there is a way for everything to mount, they call it good.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
lilpoindexter

I worked for chrysler as well, in truck powertrain...we used to get into arguments over who got what real estate under the hood.

Last edited by lilpoindexter; 06-11-2011 at 03:26 PM.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
broey
Square

I laughed pretty hard the first time I went under a liberty and saw the "waterside" for oil when the oil filter is removed.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
bluex

The trailblazer my wife had before this POS van had one of those. I used to cuss that guy everytime I changed the oil in it. Even with the "waterslide" it would cover the entire crossmember with oil...
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

BTW, no offense to our engineers on the board. I was just venting.

I decided to leave he dash for another day and work on sheet metal as well as assembling the guts of the doors.

Banging on sheet metal relaxes the soul

Bill's Gallery
Old 06-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

I once worked on a brand new just delivered treadmill in a hospital that had test points where you could insert meter leads. The problem was if you inserted the meter lead all the way in it shorted on the heat sink for one of the voltage regulators and burned up some of the electronics.

You also couldn't open the box up to replace parts or work on it. Wires too short, etc.

Brain dead design...
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #10
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Ever want to shoot an engineer?

In my line of work, Nearly every day !

Read my sig line.....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
BigBlocksRule

The bastige I want to shoot is the one that decided to use studs with clinch nuts on all 6 bellhousing to block points on the '88 - trucks.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #12
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

or the alternator on my 2.2L sonoma.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

2 things, getting dried out crusty orifice tubes out of the eveporator without ruining the expensive evaporator and getting to the front brake lines where they pass through the frame.

Where engineers get into trouble is that 99% of them work on paper and won't listen to us lowly peons. They should apprentice in their chosen field and have to be journeyman before becoming engineers. would save lots of $$ and time.

Ask ford how they liked having to lift the whole cab off of some 2005 or so F-150's just to change the rear spark plugs.

Yeah, I'm a maintenance guy and get to laugh at least once or twice a week at how the engineers ideas didnt pan out, and I told them why before they even started and it went wrong exactly the way I said it would. but they still never listen to me since I'm not an engineer, so I have a good laugh fairly regularly. oh and the other perk, is I get paid to do the same work twice. job security.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #14
Psycho71

I have a buddy who swears I play "class warfare" when it comes to engineers. I work in the HVAC industry, and constantly but heads with engineers/architects. I've never seen a job that was able to be completed the way a set of blueprints showed it. And there's always some little clause on the plans that prevents the engineer from being responsible for anything. The fact is, it's the worker in the field, on the assembly line, *insert job here*, that makes things work. Engineers are good for providing an overall outline of how things SHOULD go, but they should stop there and let the more experienced workers have the latitude to make the calls necessary to make things work right.

Speaking of newer cars and trucks, I'm not sure I'll ever own another one just because of the way they are engineered. My last/newest truck was a '98 Chevy. While relatively simple to work on, why they ever put a $300 fuel pump in the stupid gas tank is still beyond me when a $100 frame rail mounted pump would do the job just fine. All their design did was make it harder and more expensive, aside from the fact that most consumers wouldn't work on it themselves when a what should be a simple repair is made so difficult. If the fedral gubment wants to play a larger role in the automotive industry, they should police such unnecessary designs and help the consumer save money and aggravation down the road. Not that I advocate the gubment play a larger role in ANYTHING!

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!

Last edited by Psycho71; 06-11-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #15
rjn72

Electrician here, same as above. I have seen engineers design things that absolutely will not work and get mad when you try to warn them. Nothing like a 12 foot conveyor were a 12 inch one needs to go. The last place I worked the engineers started drawing then sent somebody out with drawings and masking tape on the ground, then looked at it and adjusted two or three times to make it fit. With all that said, Kimberly Clark in Conway AR is the best engineered plant I have ever worked in. You don't move 1 wire without it being on paper. You hook it up the way they say, if it doesn't work then they adjust the drawing, then you can adjust the work. You can find everything in the plant on a peice of paper somewhere.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:43 AM   #16
INSIDIOUS '86

how about how GM makes all the bolts to their cars together twice as long as the need to be!!! agravating as ---- and the fact my truck is half metric half standard. gm you twits!!
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:26 AM   #17
Prong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Who designed these dash pads & their mounting? Crud those clips are worse than dealing with multiple ex-wives (and I have had that experience). I am attempting to put in a new on in the 83.

I had to walk away for a while.

OK, Rant done.
That's a cake job compared to those blasted spring clips for the door lock and latch rods. You're guaranteed to have mincemeat hands after that job...
Prong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:49 AM   #18
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

I work at Renault and Volvo Dealer this is what i have to deal with on a dayli basis

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:24 AM   #19
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prong View Post
That's a cake job compared to those blasted spring clips for the door lock and latch rods. You're guaranteed to have mincemeat hands after that job...
Yeah I know. That routine was part of the day yesterday also. Good thing for skinny arms.

Bill's Gallery

Last edited by Palf70Step; 06-12-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #20
njlimbaugh

I'm a retired machine designer (engineer) that learned the hard way. Finished high school and went to work drafting. Learned from a lot of oldtimers and tried to pass down the knowledge because I wound up training a lot of graduate 'engineers' during the last 15 or twenty years of work. Most of them never turned a wrench (I've been a car nut since 1955) and aren't interested in getting their hands dirty. They want to push numbers around all day then go home and play basketball or something. I went home and worked on cars. It's amazing how many of these 'engineers' would come up with something totally impossible to build, much less get it to run. OK, I'm finished. Thanks for letting me blow off steam.
njlimbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #21
Prerunner1982

Not so much on my squarebodies did I have a problem that I had a WTF were they thinking moment. However on my wife's old 97 S-10 Blazer three come to mind. First, the #1 spark plug. You either have to remove the steering shaft, or get a special socked to get it off. Next was the pitman arm. There is a welded cross member right under the steering box so the box has to be removed to get the pitman arm off. Last is the lumbar switch on the drivers seat. As the seat gets old and people slide in and out of the seat over say 10 years the wires to the switch and the seat frame come in contact with each other causing a short... which just happens to make the interior lights come on each time it shorts. That was a real PITA to track down. But as far as my squarebodies are concerned I can't remember anything that really irritated me. Even the dash clips weren't too bad. Of course they could have been bent just a tab, but it wasn't hard to bet it on and off.
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #22
MadManAndrew

Not to contradict, but most of the time it's these engineers who have never done any grunt work who come up with the radical ideas that experienced tradesmen, who have had the norm hammered into them, think absolutely ridiculous. Not to say a good, open-minded tradesmen can't do the same, but it's easier to think abstractly when you don't know what's normal. Some one that designs the kind of thing y'all listed doesn't really deserve to be called an engineer though, just some one with engineering education.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by MadManAndrew; 06-17-2011 at 08:55 PM.
MadManAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #23
BusinessProfessor

The car companies do not want us to work on our cars. They want us to pay dealer prices. This was hammered home when a friend and I looked at some new Chryslers a few years back. My friend wanted to know how we could get at the upper radiator hose to change it. It was blocked by a large cross member. I simply repeated what I said above. The salesman, who was walking by, said that I was right. He then kept on walking!!! My father, who was an aircraft technician figured out many times, how to improve the repair process on many of my collector cars. They worked and lasted! He sometimes even fabricated replacement parts.

Last edited by BusinessProfessor; 06-18-2011 at 11:05 AM.
BusinessProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #24
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Keith Seymore is gonna come in this thread and kick ya'lls collective butt
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #25
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

my wife say I need a good butt kick'n!!

Bill's Gallery