The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
Chewvaca

Help with ignition problem please.

Hi, I have been having some trouble starting my car in the mornings. It is a 1987 Chevy C10 with a 350 on it. At first I though it was my carburetor that was flooding, It was my dads truck and it has an adapter plate with a two barrel 302 Motorcraft carb on it. This morning, I checked it and I had no spark. I think thats why it was initially flooding. But now I have no idea how to go at it. The car has never died on me while its running, and only on some mornings it doesn't start. Also, if I wait some time and try to start it again it will fire right up... I really dont know what it could be. I have read a lot, and I keep on seeing that's either the coil or ignition module, but i thought that if these went bad then they are a permanent thing, not intermittent, and much less that once the car is running that it will not stall again, so I dont know what to do. Any help would be much appreciated. Also, could a worn out alternator do this? Like prevent my car from starting? I have an after market amp-meter on the truck and when its running, the current is always ok.
Chewvaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
notyo_cheez

Re: Help with ignition problem please.

Always begin at the source, check for 12V feeding the coil. You have that, then ohm out the coil. If that checks, try a new cap and rotor especially if it's been awhile since they've been replaced or you have no idea how old they are. Modules will fail but not very often. As you mentioned it will only do this on occasion, best guess is that the rotor/cap may have cracks you can't see to the naked eye that will cause a wild arc. They are cheap enough to replace and it's a good start to diagnose. Pick up a fresh set of spark plug cables with the rotor and cap, and a fuel filter for good measure.
notyo_cheez is offline   Reply With Quote