The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
BoredJoe

Speaker Pods for Lower Door

One of the members on here (Justpball) has a build thread and built some pods to go on his lower doors. Im trying to build some myself now and was wondering what the best way to wire the speaker up is, i know ill have to probally drill holes but i want it to be clean and not just have wires hanging so how would i go about doing it right. I tried to PM Jpball about it but his inbox was full lol. Id like to know where he put the bolts through to hold it on the door, maybe he will see this thread. Thanks for the help guys if anyone has speakers wired up in their doors and can show me some pictures on how they ran the wire it would be great.

Heres a picture of the pods he made, i think there cool.
Attached Images

BoredJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
BoredJoe

Re: Speaker Pods for Lower Door

Did some reasearch and found theses http://www.keepitcleanwiring.com/cat...-Loom--(1-Pair) Anyone use these or something similar, how did they do and does anyone have some pics with these installed. BTW i forget to mention these pods are for an 83 C10.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
mbgmike

Those look real nice. Why can't you run the wires through your power window bellows? Thats what I would try and do. as far as attaching you can do it without exterior screws. You can add a variety of plastic fasteners to the door. then add the corresponding one to the panel. they make all kinds and we sell all kinds. Metal and Plastic. I think screws would ruin the looks but if you have to maybe just 2 in the lower corners
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
BoredJoe

I don't have power windows in mine wish I did. As far as fastening it justpball said he put four bolts that stuck out the back of the pod the heads were fiberglassed over to hold them and then he drilled four holes in the door, took the door panels off reached in and put nuts on from the inside so no bolts are seen. I'd rather not drill holes but I don't know of any fasteners that would allow it to mount flush without drilling holes. Any ideas on were to drill for wires since I don't have power windows or locks. CAn anyone take a picture of where there powerwindow wires run from door to cab. Thanks. Can't wait to build them, ill be happy if mine turn out half as nice as his.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
mbgmike

here you go. the boot is on the same CL as the door switch. You have to take the door off to install. At least we do. I thought the pic was your truck. The only way to install is some real good tape. slamming the door would cause it to fall off I imagine if not quality tape. They make a round insert. its small used on mid 60's Impalas that is used to install door panels. You could just use four and then attach the clips to the panel. its only four holes.I would use some tape also on it. thats what i would do. if you want to use the hoffman door piece you posted I have two good used ones that you can have for the shipping cost. they are almost like new. Otherwise I would just purchase a rubber one.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2011, 11:27 PM   #6
BoredJoe

Thanks mike, Ill prob look for some rubber boots like the picture but if I can't find any around here I may message you about the ones you have. I think I'm gonna attach it to the door with four bolts I can always cover the holes with a carpet piece if I don't like the pods. Picture helped a lot now I gotta go buy some fiberglass
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2011, 12:00 AM   #7
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredJoe View Post
Did some reasearch and found theses http://www.keepitcleanwiring.com/cat...-Loom--(1-Pair) Anyone use these or something similar, how did they do and does anyone have some pics with these installed. BTW i forget to mention these pods are for an 83 C10.

I bought a pair of them and wanted to put them in my doors for power windows and speakers. There is one problem that prevented me from using them, and that is the ID of the braided hose is tiny. Barely enough room to run wires, let alone speaker wire.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:30 AM   #8
BoredJoe

Thanks for the info jugernot, is the rubber part im gonna need #11 on this page? http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=17 I don’t want order the wrong thing. One other thing about running the wires from the door to the cab, I see how it goes into the cab but where is it routed to inside? I know there’s not just a hole on the inside, can someone get me some pictures of the inside of the cab or describe to me how I need to run the wire. Wish one of our four Chevy’s here had electric windows or something so I could look at them but unfortunately they don’t

Also do i have to use rivets or will sheet metal screws work to connect the rubber boot to the door and cab?

Last edited by BoredJoe; 06-28-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:38 AM   #9
stich626
Account Suspended

mine a 71 hade 5/16th holes in the doors and the area near the light door switch..
I oped them up added a grommit. and was done with it.. no need to add that big door to pillar boot.. for one wire..
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:59 AM   #10
BoredJoe

Well i got the speaker rings cut out of MDF and hopfully can start building the form to fiberglass over soon, been busy working though. Ill post up pictures if these turn out ok, ive never fiberglassed anything so they may end up like crap lol. Wish me luck. Im also kinda worried about where i can drill four holes in the door to mount them i dont wanna hit anything inside and mess my doors up.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #11
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Quote:
Well i got the speaker rings cut out of MDF and hopfully can start building the form to fiberglass over soon, been busy working though. Ill post up pictures if these turn out ok, ive never fiberglassed anything so they may end up like crap lol. Wish me luck. Im also kinda worried about where i can drill four holes in the door to mount them i dont wanna hit anything inside and mess my doors up.
Sounds like we are doing the same thing. I just cut my speaker rings and am just wanting to get the truck back, because I building complete door panels. I read an interesting article about aiming speakers. Just something to keep in mind.

There is the link to the ariticle

http://forums.sonicelectronix.com/th...ng-Kick-Panels

Old 07-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #12
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugernot View Post
I bought a pair of them and wanted to put them in my doors for power windows and speakers. There is one problem that prevented me from using them, and that is the ID of the braided hose is tiny. Barely enough room to run wires, let alone speaker wire.
what are you talking about? Tiny? its like 1/2" diameter i will post pic

Last edited by mbgmike; 07-04-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #13
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626 View Post
mine a 71 hade 5/16th holes in the doors and the area near the light door switch..
I oped them up added a grommit. and was done with it.. no need to add that big door to pillar boot.. for one wire..
I like to keep things stock looking. it seemed to me he wanted to do this the right way
Old 07-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #14
mbgmike

Quote:
I did not know you were trying to build your own there is plenty of room to drill holes and not mess anything up. just reach inside the door. there is not much down there to hit
If you are building fiberglass or any other here is the company we purchase our material from and have used them for years and they have great info to start and learn. i highly reccomend them. you will learn a lot. good luck

http://www.freemansupply.com/

Last edited by mbgmike; 07-04-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #15
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
what are you talking about? Tiny? its like 1/2" diameter i will post pic
Well, when I get the parts back from the shop I will happily show you. No room for electric window wires and good speaker wire. If you want decent sound from good speakers you need to run a thicker wire!

Old 07-07-2011, 06:03 AM   #16
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
I like to keep things stock looking. it seemed to me he wanted to do this the right way
oh, ok.
I'll take my small holes and gromits over a big black piece of unsitely rubber anyday..
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #17
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626 View Post
oh, ok.
I'll take my small holes and gromits over a big black piece of unsitely rubber anyday..
whatever makes you happy dude. sorry i suggested such a stupid idea
Old 07-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #18
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

usally they hide better and they only show when the door is open
but some trucks just have a rubber plug in that hole
may wana add something after that you need more space(elect door lock)
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote