The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
kcsa75

Headlight problems. Bad relay?

A couple of months ago I did the headlight upgrade adding relays to the high and low beam circuits. Everything worked great until tonight. I was driving down the road and my lights went out. Fortunately the high beams work. After a few minutes they would come back on but only for a few seconds.
I pulled over to have a look and everything looked fine. I could get them to come on by tapping on the relay. We'll see how long it lasts.
Am I right in assuming I probably have a bad relay?
Posted via Mobile Device

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
mpotts64

Re: Headlight problems. Bad relay?

I just finished the headlight relays on the old brown truck. I bought headlight relays and holders from a 90's Jeep Wrangler at a pick-n-pull. I bought the new locking spade clips and changed all the wiring to 10 gauge in the holder and then the relay would plug in the top. I spent 4 afternoons jacking with that damn thing because I had no high beams, bought a new dimmer switch. Finally chased it down to the relay holders, wires were coming out, loose in the holder (even though they were new locking clips) lights going off/on, etc. I finally cut it all loose, put yellow blade clips on the wires, no holders, and plugged straight onto the relays and all works well, Check to make sure you have good connections.

When asked why I work on old trucks, I tell them: Been married 27 years, sons are pretty much gone, don't like the wife anymore and don't have a girlfriend, so, gotta do something, the old trucks are cheaper and less drama than a girlfriend -
mpotts64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsa75 View Post
A couple of months ago I did the headlight upgrade adding relays to the high and low beam circuits. Everything worked great until tonight. I was driving down the road and my lights went out. Fortunately the high beams work. After a few minutes they would come back on but only for a few seconds.
I pulled over to have a look and everything looked fine. I could get them to come on by tapping on the relay. We'll see how long it lasts.
Am I right in assuming I probably have a bad relay?
Posted via Mobile Device
To test that relay, swap the high and low beam relays. If the problem follows the relay, buy a new relay.
This time buy two. Keep the spare in the glove box.

The next time this happens on the road and you don't have a spare, swap the relays so you can drive home with your low beams on.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
67Slider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
To test that relay, swap the high and low beam relays. If the problem follows the relay, buy a new relay.
This time buy two. Keep the spare in the glove box.

The next time this happens on the road and you don't have a spare, swap the relays so you can drive home with your low beams on.
Great Idea! Simple, but unless you have dealt with it you probably wouldn't think of it. I have this relay set up and will remember this if mine ever go out

Thanks!
67Slider is offline   Reply With Quote