The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
iluvmy72

hit a wall....need help climbing over

I know this is a 1973-91 burb and blazer spot....but I posted this on the 88-99 site....nothing! So i am hoping someone here can help or point me in the right direction. I have a 1994 suburban. It had a 454 tbi in it. I opted for a 350 swap. It is in......however I am running into EGR issues with computer and harness from the tbi. The idea was to use all of the same stuff from the tbi and just use the brackets from a 350 tbi to mount them to. Well GM hosed me by using the newer 5 pin EGR found on vortecs. I have to hve egr working......should i get it reprogrammed a certain way? Is there adapter to use newer egr on older mounts? Because if this requires a Cpu swap, this complicates the harness. I do not have time or money to change out the harness. There has to be something out there. Anyone? I am so close!!!!
iluvmy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
edhtrd71

Re: hit a wall....need help climbing over

Not sure I completely understand but here goes. The tbi computer is not reprogrammable. If you are using vortec heads they are not built with egr ports. You must bring the exhaust from the passenger side manifold to the intake at a port that should be plumbed to your egr. If you have the intake manifold that will mount a tbi and has egr (which i think is available) It will mount an old style egr valve. Then you use a kit sold by preffered aftermarket company to plumb the exhaust manifold to the intake manifold. Hopefully im understanding what you are saying.
edhtrd71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:58 AM   #3
iluvmy72

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhtrd71 View Post
Not sure I completely understand but here goes. The tbi computer is not reprogrammable. If you are using vortec heads they are not built with egr ports. You must bring the exhaust from the passenger side manifold to the intake at a port that should be plumbed to your egr. If you have the intake manifold that will mount a tbi and has egr (which i think is available) It will mount an old style egr valve. Then you use a kit sold by preffered aftermarket company to plumb the exhaust manifold to the intake manifold. Hopefully im understanding what you are saying.
Thx for trying....I already have the intake from GM that has the EGR and a tube on the drivers side plummed using stock vortec exhaust manifolds. My issue is the previous 454 used electronic EGR. The intake has vacuum style.
iluvmy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Try calling these guys:

http://howellefi.com/
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote