The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
Bigo Serge

turn signal switch help??

Hey fellas,
I have a broken turn signal switch and I am stuck on the disassemble process.
I have taken off the steering wheel, three screws, and hazard switch. The new kit has the switch and the harness assembled together. I have searched older posts about this subject, but have not been successful. I was thinking about removing the pins from the half moon plug and just fishing the new switch through the column.....not sure though.

I am stuck on how to remove the complete wiring from the column? Thanks for any help. Pictures will help too.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: turn signal switch help??

Yes . You have to remove the terms. from the holder. You can remove the conduit from the top of the jacket by bending the tabs out a little. Your new switch will have a different connecter. You can use an adapter or cut & splice the wires.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
hugger6933

Re: turn signal switch help??

I had the same problem several months ago, I never found a satisfactory answer on here. I was changing to a tilt and the switch was bad in it , I had the same problem did not find a fix just used another tilt as I have about 4 of them on the rack. But I since have found the answer according to the factory service manual, You have to remove the upper shroud on the column. A puller was [is?] made to take it off but I did not need it for the one I have taken off. Start by taking a small flat screwdriver[ the promo giveaway kind with the magnet in the tip] and scrape out the crud where the upper shroud meets the body of the column also there is a small slot on the upper shroud to help find the end . Keep going around it a couple of times to loosen up the junk and start pulling up on the shroud it presses on to the column just by a very small area at the bottom. You can take something and go under the lip of the upper shroud and put it on the shaft and pry up on it to pop it loose but be careful it is kinda thin and bends easy. It really helps to go around the bottom first ]it made all the diff on mine] Onca the upper is off it is simple to fish thru then. Good luck
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote