The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
TX58

average build time? im stressed out

what is the average build time to get one of these old trucks done? I've had mine for six weeks and its completly stripped down to the cab and rolling frame. Im staying mostly stock on this 58 so theres no modern mods. I see guys here taking 5,10,15 yrs to finish a truck. I want to drive mine now! This is my first restoration and i would like to know is there a sequence to putting it back together? I know rust repair,primer, and paint are first. Whats next? should i paint it partially put together? Or in parts? Ive also got the frame painted already. Engine and tranny are back from the shop. Plan on new wheel bearings and brakes. Interior and trim are last? Wiring is mystery to me, but i plan on tackling it myself. Im stressed out here, need guidence.
Thanks
TX58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:48 AM   #2
Root2812

Re: average build time? im stressed out

I have heard that the average for most guys to complete a project like this is around 5 years but there are guys on here that are over 10 years. It all depends one how much work your truck needs, your skills and tools, and how often you get out there and work on it.
Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:04 AM   #3
Maximus

It all depends on how much work your doing and how much time you have per week to work on it.

I have had my truck for 10 years, and drove it for the first time 2 weeks ago... BUT if I had no other life destractions, I would have had it done in 2 years, max. it spent most of its life waiting...

Its all depending on your time/motivation/MONEY but you will get there, just be patient!!!!!
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:06 AM   #4
TX58

Feeling better already, thanks
Old 01-25-2012, 04:17 AM   #5
tmoble

Relax, there is no standard time at all. If you have lots of cash and plenty of time it can be done relatively soon. Do all the mechanical work possible before the body. Make a trial fit of the cab, doors, hood and front fenders. correct any alignment problems found, then body and paint. Many nice trucks are painted apart, then assembled. kinda depends on how detailed of a look you want and how much you've go to spend on paint. Body and paint costs often balloon when the true condition of the sheet metal is discovered during paint prep.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:53 AM   #6
Daze57

i am one of those ''long time builders '' - what the others say is all true - you make your own speed - just be proud of what you do - it'll take a l'il bit but ya learn as ya go - and you can hone your skills -there are some very talented builders on this forum and tons of ideas to utilize - and never be afraid to ask questions - we are all here for the same reasons - to build and have a truck you can be proud of - no matter what style you like
my ''15'' year 2cents worth
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #7
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

6.5 for mine . I burn out twice and let it sit .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX58 View Post
what is the average build time to get one of these old trucks done? <snip> ...I would like to know is there a sequence to putting it back together? I know rust repair,primer, and paint are first. Whats next? should i paint it partially put together? Or in parts? Ive also got the frame painted already. Engine and tranny are back from the shop. Plan on new wheel bearings and brakes. Interior and trim are last? Wiring is mystery to me, but i plan on tackling it myself. Im stressed out here, need guidence.
Thanks
Hi TX58. If you got all of that done in 6 weeks, you're at the front of the herd (a little Texas humor). I'll put in an average of about 1000 hours in, +/-, depending on initial condition, stock or custom, and whether it's a driver or a show truck. If you treat your restoration as a journey and not a destination you'll reduce your stress a little. However, driving will still be fun too when you get there!

To help you with your sequencing questions I'll assume you're doing a stock drivetrain with minimal exterior and interior mods, and that the truck is a driver -- the most basic of restorations. (If it were a full-blown show custom there are assemblies and disassemblies going on all the time, but we'll keep it simple.) Even at that, for me there's a lot going on before I get to "paint". At a minimum, after rust repair, I'd torque the cab down, hang the fenders, doors and hood, and panel match all the sheet metal. Fit the grille to avoid scratching paint in the final assembly. Weld and use filler to make sure everything fits the way you want. (Since you've already done the chassis, be prepared to clean all the dust off at the end.) The bed isn't as critical, but it's easy to scratch your paint if your tailgate doesn't fit well. For that reason I'd do a prelim assembly back there too, in case you want to modernize something like tail lights or tailgate latches.

When I paint I like to do it all in one day. A lot depends on the type of paint job, however. If it's a non-metallic color you can probably get by with painting on multiple days. If you're shooting metallics or pearls, all bets are off on paint match if you break the job up.

My last resto took 4 years, and I worked from a 22-page schedule, but I'm a little sick in that regard. (I tried to upload the schedule, but it's 2 meg plus.) That's enough from me. Maybe someone else can speak to final assembly. (If not, I'll be back...)

Bob

Last edited by DransportGarage; 01-25-2012 at 09:14 AM.
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

According to the TLC channel it should be a week. But in reality it take as long as it takes, be patient and do it right so you'll be happy to say you did it. The better the underlying work is the longer the resto lasts and the paint stays good.

I would prepaint door jams and places that are had to get at when assembled and leave the exterior paint till its ready for windows.

DransportGarage has a good idea of a laid out schedule and task list, that way you can allocate time and funds a little easier. Its real easy to get lost in a resto and lose your interest because nothing seems to be getting done. Ticking of a task list gives you the sense that something IS getting done and your closer to the end.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
mknittle

The whole idea is to have fun. so don't let it become a job that causes pressure or you will likely give up on it!
There a lot of cars and trucks around here that are built while remaining derivable.I notice more showing up at cruse nites and the nsra nationals. I like watching them progress. It shows that" Car nuts" as Kabwe calls us are coming to the shows. for a while it was Pro built high dollar cars that the owners have no clue about.
most of all HAVE FUN!!

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
mr48chev

A little extreme But you can read the date on the award and the truck still isn't done.

Yes way above average in time but life got in the way and finishing the truck wasn't one of the priorities although I did drive it daily up until 2002 when the engine got so worn out that the pistons had to decide which hole they wanted to run in on a particular day.
Hopefully it will be up and running before the year is out and ready for a big road trip a year from March.

No need to stress TX58, put a plan together and knock off one step at a time as you go. I'd start by getting the frame and running gear squared away and all painted and done and maybe go on to get the engine and trans finished and back in the rolling chassis and then tackle the cab and each piece as they come.
If cash is short for one thing work on something else that takes time and little cash. When it becomes work instead of fun take a day or weekend off and do something else for that day or weekend so you can hit with a fresh mind the next time.

The main thing is try not to get caught up in a deadline where the truck "has to be finished by" that longest time unfinished award that I showed above was partially caused by deadlines for having the truck running and going somewhere and never taking the time to actually finish it. It's down to the bare bones now and when the frame is up and rolling I'll get the cab squared away and then things hopefully will take off with abandon.

Last edited by mr48chev; 01-25-2012 at 12:55 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
A little extreme But you can read the date on the award and the truck still isn't done.

Yes way above average in time but life got in the way and finishing the truck wasn't one of the priorities although I did drive it daily up until 2002 when the engine got so worn out that the pistons had to decide which hole they wanted to run in on a particular day.
Hopefully it will be up and running before the year is out and ready for a big road trip a year from March.

No need to stress TX58, put a plan together and knock off one step at a time as you go. I'd start by getting the frame and running gear squared away and all painted and done and maybe go on to get the engine and trans finished and back in the rolling chassis and then tackle the cab and each piece as they come.
If cash is short for one thing work on something else that takes time and little cash. When it becomes work instead of fun take a day or weekend off and do something else for that day or weekend so you can hit with a fresh mind the next time.

The main thing is try not to get caught up in a deadline where the truck "has to be finished by" that longest time unfinished award that I showed above was partially caused by deadlines for having the truck running and going somewhere and never taking the time to actually finish it. It's down to the bare bones now and when the frame is up and rolling I'll get the cab squared away and then things hopefully will take off with abandon.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
_Ogre

relax, have a beer. a lot depends on what level you take your truck too and how much work you self perform.
from what i see of your truck, doing a basic resto on yours will be quick.
but quick could set you back a year or two... life gets in the way.

most of us get the fit and finish better than factory, we forget these are trucks.
most of us modify suspension, panels, doors, stereos, fuel systems, etc...

mine was a 7 yr odyssey to get back on the road, but who puts a trunk on a truk?
i spent almost a yr on my interior alone, granted other project were on going (and i might have gone a little over the top)
i too had a couple of burn out periods and a couple of medical problems that interferred with time.

my truk will never be done done.
something will need modifying...

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #14
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

As you can see you are not alone.lol We all have been at our projects for a while, unless you have unlimited funds and lots of time, this will take awhile.lol This project is suppose to help relieve stress not add to it, so relax and enjoy your build.

BTW I'm going into my 5 year and I don't see the finish line anytime time soon. It does not matter because this is my hobby and I enjoy doing it and when I finish I'm just going to build something else anyway.lol
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #15
OrrieG

I just did a calculation and have about 1400 hours (175 man days) in mine. That includes 140 hours in 1985 when I converted the running gear to V8 and 4WD. I figure I have about 120 hours to go, if I do not paint it myself. I tore it apart in 1998-99. From 2000 to 2006 it sat with minimal attention as work and life intervened. I did continue to accumulate parts during that time. In 2006 - 2008 I made good progress until the economy affected my business and I had to go into survival mode. Since then I have been working on things that require minimal cash outlay. Looking at the build threads, pros like Delmo (and I assume some helpers) can know one out in 8-12 weeks. A lot seem to be in the 3 year range; a lot like me, with about 5 years probably being the average.

If you are that anxious to have a driver, get one and upgrade it as you drive it or just drive it while you work on the one you have apart. Most of all, have fun with it and enjoy the process, not obsessing on the lack of progress.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #16
bondobob

My "trick" for getting through a project is to do something every day even if it's only making a list or finding a part number. Organize your tools, parts, etc. anything just to keep moving. My 57 was started in '07 and I worked on it for two years and then got divorced, sold house, moved, bought new house, added on to garage, and finally moved it into the new space. So during that time I wasn't working on it but definately thinking about it and making plans. I just finished restoring my '82 Chev plow truck and that took 8 months of very steady work. Now I can really say I'm working on the '57 next! Another thought, if you spend time going to car/truck shows and cruising the net or reading magazines maybe you will feel like I do. "Heck, I should be home working on my stuff not looking at other peoples stuff". But that's just me...
bondobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #17
jimig1

I have about a 1.5yr in mine but i hope to be driving it by June for MSRA back to the 50's I know it will not be done but at least drive-able
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin
jimig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #18
Indian113

My thoughts are that I never bite off more than I can chew!

I try to do little things at a time so I can keep driving it and not get discouraged because it's tore down.

I've found out that if you have a big pile of pieces it's easy to get ovwerwhelmed .

It has been 3 years on my wifes 64 and could take another 3 before it's done completely but it's a DRIVER
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #19
meter swinger

youll get there

i just got back on mine afer it sitting for three years. in the last 5 months all i have done is a set of six-lug rallys with new rubber, and got the truck re-wired.
i just got a trans crossmember and engine crossmember from classic parts. once those are installed ill have new roller bearings coming for the front end and get the exhaust done. then the gas tank moved to the back and a cheapo plywood bed for now. should be on the road by summer.
plan to drive it through the summer then tear it apart and clip the front.

if your like me youd rather be driving than wrenching ( i got five boys so my time is limited in garage)

my solution as some have said is to pick up a running beater if you have the cash. this was my idea of a cheap running beater

now if i run out of momentum (beer) i hop in the binder and go get re-stocked.
Attached Images

meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #20
1956chevtruck

7 years from the time I picked it up on the flat deck until the time I put him in his first show. He was in 100's of pieces and I had to search, buy, and build another 1000 pieces. I had 3-4 great friends help me with the build and I wouldn't change a thing. I would be lying if I said it didn't matter how long it took, I wanted to drive that truck everyday since we first fired it however, We just kept our heads down and carried on.

"The ox is slow, But the earth is patient".

Have fun and enjoy yourself.
Byron
1956chevtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #21
DransportGarage

I mentioned in my thread above that my sample schedule was too big to download. So I made a Microsoft Word doc of just my task list from my GTO build. Now, no one else here is going to have a list this detailed, so no ribbing about how crazy I am. Anyone, feel free to use it, modify it, or do whatever...
Attached Files
File Type: doc GTO Build Task List.doc (79.5 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by DransportGarage; 01-25-2012 at 07:30 PM.
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #22
Narxoleptic Customs

Alot of times people go in with bigger than needed plans and completely tear a vehicle apart then in 4-6 weeks are tired of it bc the hard stuff begins. If I didn't have a 60 hr/wk job, needy wife and want to spend 2-3 hrs a night w my 2 yr old daughter; I could have had my truck done in 3 months, not 16 ($$ permitting)....
Posted via Mobile Device
Narxoleptic Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #23
TX58

I did agree to just get the cab and front end completely done first. The bed is kinda banged up so I think I'm going new. I'm ok with not having a bed for awhile. That should cut my project to a reasonable time frame. So I should fit the front end and doors then paint it? That sounds right. Do I paint interior cab first? It's going all one color and only the steering column,wheel,and door panels are going accent color. Those I can paint away from truck. I'm not too worried about engine and tranny. The big thing for me is paint and wiring harness. This will make or break me. Be prepared for lots of questions and pics to get this right. I appreciate all the help from you guys and respect all the work that goes into keeping these trucks on the road.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #24
BuiltwithIvy

I used to work at a street rod shop and we would typically quote 1800-2000 hours depending on how nice the project was coming in, and how nice the customer wanted it done, attention to detail is pretty important on builds, with complete factory restoration work, you can spend that much time alone in simply research....
"To speak of the art of one loom, the art of one river, the art of one tractor, or the art of one automobile is not preposterous; it is to point to the size and importance of the gap between general knowledge and situated knowledge" - James C. Scott
1969 C10 - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=492064
1930 Tudor Sedan
BuiltwithIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #25
jimig1

That is my plan to get the front end done then worry about the bed. It will save some time and get it on the road sooner.
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin
jimig1 is offline   Reply With Quote