The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
SunSoaked

CHAOS (69K10-M1008 Hybrid)...by SunSoaked

I figure its high time to start a thread to document and track my latest adventure into restoring/modifying my newest money depleting hobby. I have "hot-rodded" G-body cars (El Caminos) previously but have seen the light and moved over to the 67-72 trucks.

To begin- I made an impulse purchase several months ago by giving a guy $1500 for the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned! But....it was a 69, a longbed, a V8 and 4 wheel drive, everything I wanted. At the time that was all that mattered to me.

Since then, I have removed much of the ugly factor the PO had installed over the years. He was the original owner, a "do-it-yourselfer" and an offshore yacht enthusiest....hence the major rust damage and one of a kind accessories for his weekend excursions to the gulf of mexico.

I was fortunate enough to stumble upon this website, and am getting an education on new terms and technology regarding these old trucks.

I think the folks on here are awesome..knowledgabe, willing to help, and dedicated to these old trucks in whatever form they take on.

I'm sure this build will be much more expensive and take longer than I plan, but I have been down this road before. I remind myself it's the journey, not the destination.

With that said, here are a few photos of the newest family member, the day I brought her home..
Attached Images

Last edited by SunSoaked; 06-18-2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Title
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: PROJECT CHAOS...by SunSoaked

Looking forward to the build!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
Gene

Welcome, you have definitely came to the right place. Lots of knowledge here for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
SunSoaked

First things first. I had to keep this thing running reliably to keep the homeowners association off my A**. So I quickly pulled the original intake/carb and oil bath off it and stuck in a used intake combo and HEI I had laying around. Next as I really looked this thing over, I became somewhat disheartened by the sheer amount of rust damage it had. The rockers were completely shot as was the front of the bed floor, I discovered when I pulled the "extra" fuel tank out of the bed. I could actually see daylight thru this thing! The rockers literally sluffed of pieces of metal every time I closed the door. It was a case of vehicle leprosy!
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
JRANGER

ouch...good luck and will be looking for the updates on progress
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
SunSoaked

And then I got my first big break I found a member on this site advertising a 69 cab and bed for sale. I realized that shipping costs associted with these larg items are often deal breakers. Lucky for me, I was within striking distance of Las Vegas and made a good deal on the whole package if I would pick it up. One saturday roadtrip later, I had a near "perfect" rust free parts truck sitting in my driveway
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
JRANGER

nice finds
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
VA72C10
VA72C10

That'll make the build a LOT easier

I admit...My name is Jonathan and I am jealous of those in the NW and SW with their rust free sheetmetal...
Old 04-19-2012, 04:24 AM   #9
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Looks like a great start.... next time you're in Vegas, let me know....

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
SunSoaked

Update:

Removed the old rusted out bed from chaos this weekend. First thing I realized was how simple these trucks are beneath the skin. Had to apply the cutoff wheel to get all the welded on crap off the PO had installed over the years. Fortunately for me, he was a crappy welder and the "extras" were easy to remove.

Looking at the two "yes TWO" driveshafts between the T-case and diff makes me wonder why I cant have just one? After some lift and the ranger splitter (moves the T-case rear 12 inches), I'm thinking that second shaft is gonna have some exteme angles.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2012, 02:04 AM   #11
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

If you add the range box and push everything back, you can probably eliminate the double shaft. I would talk to a driveline shop, or call Jesse at High Angle Driveline in Cali...

http://www.highangledriveline.com/

(530) 877-2875

Main shop Phone Number

Hours 8am to 5pm for orders

Monday thru Friday - Pacific std time

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE

Last edited by mcmlxix; 04-25-2012 at 04:43 AM. Reason: added link and contact info
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #12
67chevy1series

those extra leafsprings on the back are those helper springs? are the an option?
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

Looks like a pretty Cool build! The Ranger is only going to set you back 7.5", and since your doing a complete build it would be easy to set your engine forward just a few inchs to help..youll gain firewall clearance and your shifters will be easier to reconfigure plus helping your driveline angle...so if you just went 2" forward that would put you at only 5.5" over your stock setup and I would think you shouldnt have any problems with either a 4"or 6" lift.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #14
SunSoaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
those extra leafsprings on the back are those helper springs? are the an option?
Got me. I'm new to these old trucks. I think they are according to the PO who bought it new in 69.

I'll look at the SPID and post a photo. Maybe someone can decipher the code if it's original equipment.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #15
SunSoaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZERMAN View Post
Looks like a pretty Cool build! The Ranger is only going to set you back 7.5", and since your doing a complete build it would be easy to set your engine forward just a few inchs to help..youll gain firewall clearance and your shifters will be easier to reconfigure plus helping your driveline angle...so if you just went 2" forward that would put you at only 5.5" over your stock setup and I would think you shouldnt have any problems with either a 4"or 6" lift.
Whats involved with moving the engine? Is it simply moving the crossmembers and reattaching to the frame rails?
Old 04-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #16
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

Yes its just a matter of moving the engine crossmember forward and redrilling your holes, your transmission crossmember has to be moved whether you move the engine or not...it will have to be moved rearward.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #17
SunSoaked

Got the fuel tank in today. I am pretty impressed with it so far. Still have to work out the filler neck when I set the bed back on.

I scored at 40 gallon tank complete with EFI internals (pump, pickup, sending unit, etc) and the straps out of a running 91 GMC suburban for $150.

The retrofit into the frame was very easy. I removed the rear x-member and turned it upside down, moved it to the rear of the rails and bolted it back on. There was a smaller U-channel x member that I removed (it was bolted-not riveted) to the rails. I used it as the front support rail for the tank straps.

Once I got the tank in, I bolted in a peice of 1x3 rectangular steel across the front of the tank (on top of the tank but under the upper frame rail) and slid it back until it was snug (the frame tapers up over the wheelwell here).

Added a piece of 7/16th allthread and a coupler to extend the tank strap bolts about 2 inches and tightened it down. This leaves a 1/4 inch gap between the top of the tank and the cross rails on the bottom of the bed.

All in all, I think it looks almost factory. I was able to lose the tank in the cab, both saddle tanks and got factory efi fuel pump inside the tank.
Attached Images

Last edited by SunSoaked; 05-13-2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Two many beers and needing glasses :>
Old 05-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #18
mjensen

Hey, it's good to see someone else running with the Ranger Torque Splitter. I haven't moved the rear X member yet, but I may take the advice that Blazerman suggested and move the front cross member forward a couple of inches. That will help with shifter clearance as well.

'69 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Build Thread
mjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #19
SunSoaked

Thats my plan too. Working with the cab/bed off sure makes things easy. Keep me posted on your progress and get lots of photos. You will finish before I will. I need to slow down a bit thru the summer and work on the cashflow for this hobby.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #20
SunSoaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSoaked View Post
Got me. I'm new to these old trucks. I think they are according to the PO who bought it new in 69.

I'll look at the SPID and post a photo. Maybe someone can decipher the code if it's original equipment.
Only mention of the springs is the HD Fronts? Dealer option? Aftermarket? I know they been on there since 1969.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #21
mjensen

Mine had overloads that were added by the dealer when my grandfather purchased the truck to haul the camper he purchased with it.

Name:  DSCF1027.JPG
Views: 1025
Size:  71.4 KB

Old 05-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #22
SunSoaked

Project "Chaos", how fitting! So I got the old cab off the chassis yesterday. Lot of work disconnecting the steering, brake, clutch components and stripping every last part off the cab/bed. It does make working on the drivetrain easier with it off! My wife about had a heart attack when she saw the "mess" I had created. I told her I was harder to steal when it's mostly in boxes

I was disappointed to realize my NP205 was actually a rockwell

Guess I'll be adding a rebuilt Tcase (205) to my budget. Got most of the rivot heads cut off the spring brackets. Next week I should be able to swap brackets and bolt in the 14FF.

BTW- I am having to work on this beast outside at my storage area until I get it running again- got to love (or hate) homeowner associations. Really sucks when its 115 out
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #23
mjensen

Isn't that so much fun?! Looks like some good progress.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #24
SunSoaked

Rockwell T 221. Coming out. Its getting replaced with a NP241 behind a NV4500.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #25
gmc 2500 4x4

i will take the t-case linkage and maybe t-case...
gmc 2500 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote