The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
Ahmitchell1

What chassis is best to drop a 65 burb onto

Recently found a 65 burb. I want to drop it on a newer truck chassis to make it a reliable daily driver 4wd. I'd also prefer desiel. I'm just wondering what y'all think would be the easiest
Posted via Mobile Device
Ahmitchell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
padresag

Re: What chassis is best to drop a 65 burb onto

sell it and buy a newer truck with a diesel in it
use the orig frame and put newer components under it
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
gimmy 64

ditto. why would you buy an old truck and try and make it be a new one.by the time you got all of these mods done you could buy a new diesel truck
gimmy 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
Woogeroo

The one it came with would probably fit best.

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
60_project

Everyone is no fun today. I can't disagree buying a new truck is easier, and probably cheaper, but anyone can do that.

A 60-66 burb is a 115" wheelbase. a GMT800 or GMT900 Yukon/Tahoe has a 116" so it is really close you should be able to fudge a half inch on either end... but no diesel. a older GMT400 4 door Tahoe had a 6.5l diesel as an option but it is a 117.5 wheelbase so may require sheetmetal work to make the wheel opening looks right.

All of these will have a slightly wider track width but if you are going for 4wd I would imagine the tires sticking out a little isn't going to bug you too much.
60_project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
mikesacs

I'm working on a 60 burb now. With a build thread on this site.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=504141

Mine has a 1980 3/4 ton 4x4 frame and I'm now installing a 6.2L diesel, 700r4, and a NP241 with a turbo from a 1990 1/2 ton 4x4 suburban. If the 80 frame was not under it already, I would have just used the 1990 frame. My frame is spliced 3 times.

I love the old suburbans and wanted to get 20+ mpg, thus the 6.2L.

It's yor truck. Make it how you like it.
mikesacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:39 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

It is my opinion that it would be easier and better to keep your original frame, and just upgrade the running gear to that frame. As I have said many times before, before a guy goes switching frames, check with your local DMV and see what the legal aspects are in your state concerning switching frames. Some states are more strict than others when it comes to switching frames and bodies. It would suck to go thru all the work of switching the frame only to have titling and or licensing issues. Here in Idaho, if you don't have the proper documentation when switching major components such as bodies and frames, the state can confiscate your vehicle.

I'm not saying it can't be done, in fact I have done a body/frame swap on a 2wd, but just check everything out before you just jump into it. Since you are working on a 4wd the resulting body lift from a frame swap won't look so bad. If it were me, I would keep the original frame as I said previously. The '63-'72 frames are not that different than the '73-'87 when it comes to swapping running gear and drivetrain.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:12 AM   #8
padresag

Thumbs up Re: What chassis is best to drop a 65 burb onto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
It is my opinion that it would be easier and better to keep your original frame, and just upgrade the running gear to that frame. As I have said many times before, before a guy goes switching frames, check with your local DMV and see what the legal aspects are in your state concerning switching frames. Some states are more strict than others when it comes to switching frames and bodies. It would suck to go thru all the work of switching the frame only to have titling and or licensing issues. Here in Idaho, if you don't have the proper documentation when switching major components such as bodies and frames, the state can confiscate your vehicle.

I'm not saying it can't be done, in fact I have done a body/frame swap on a 2wd, but just check everything out before you just jump into it. Since you are working on a 4wd the resulting body lift from a frame swap won't look so bad. If it were me, I would keep the original frame as I said previously. The '63-'72 frames are not that different than the '73-'87 when it comes to swapping running gear and drivetrain.

ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
Ahmitchell1

I don't need a diesel truck, I can borrow my dads. And I have a full shop and very experience guys, this isn't my first build. It looks like I'm going to find a 4x4 Yukon with the 6.2 or 6.0 whichever it comes with and see how that'll do. The reason I want to do this is because I love my 65 c-10 I built it myself starting when I was 15.i want a matching family hauler that can take us to the top of a mountain when I need it to I'm 21 so I'm not having kids for a few years me and the women both agree on that, so i got awhile to get it just right
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
Ahmitchell1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmy 64 View Post
ditto. why would you buy an old truck and try and make it be a new one.by the time you got all of these mods done you could buy a new diesel truck
My Dailey driver is a 09 1500 z71. Like I said this is just another one for the love of Chevy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
gostranger
65 suburban vortec 5.3 bagged

i just used my frame and suburban body and upgraded my drive train you can check my build thread!
gostranger is offline   Reply With Quote