The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
yossarian19

Tahoe IFS swap

So, for a variety of reasons (price, OEM parts, weight capacity, a chronic impulse to reinvent the wheel) I'm going to try and swap a GMT-400 Tahoe IFS (torsion bar style) into my '57.
We'll see how the price works out once I'm done with time, energy & experts to make it all work.
In the mean time - has anyone done this or a similar project? Issues you ran into, best way to narrow the setup, brackets, etc?
Steering... I haven't figured out yet.
Any ideas?
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Tahoe IFS swap

Well the first thing I'd do is set the rolling chassis of the Task Force truck next to a bare rolling chassis of a GMT-400 Tahoe and get out the tape measure

Unless you want a stock height or raised appearing truck I think you will most likely be severely disappointed in what you see though. If you look at the Task Force truck the frame is pretty straight front to back except for a slight kick over the rear axle. When you look at the GMT-400 frame there is quite a kick up at the front and rear of the frame to allow for a full suspension and still have a fairly comfortable ride height on a stock Tahoe.

I quit working in shops before that series of trucks came out and don't know a lot about the suspension but you need to see what is entailed in the mods you have planned.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote