The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
MadManAndrew

Jensen HU's, Jensen BT, and double-dinning my '02

My question first and foremost is about Jensen Bluetooth adapters. The only one I've been able to find has been one that is designed to clip to your sunvisor, and I really don't like that. I want something that is hidden. Does Jensen not make any behind dash bluetooth adapters?

My second question is about the head unit I'm looking at. It's a Jensen VM9324. I picked it because it has iPod Control, Dvd, and nav and I found it for $245. Couldn't really find any other units with such good reviews for that kinda price. Has anyone else had any experience with that unit or know of any comparable ones?

Third and finally, I found a kit from thedetailss.com for installing a double-din on a 99-02 with only trimming of the radio panel itself. Anybody used one of these?

Oh, and also can anybody recomend a cheap but reliable back up camera?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
king-918

Re: Jensen HU's, Jensen BT, and double-dinning my '02

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...H-P2400BT.html
I only roll pioneer. I really dislike jenson once had a vm9512 it turned out horrible. It would introduce noise into the music and about a yr later it died. The unit I posted does not come navigation but if you have an android or iPhone who needs it?
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh yeah I'm really a Toyota guy, but had some stuff sitting around.

Oklahoma
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

To start with, why are you looking at Jensen? There are much higher quality pieces for decent prices, in my opinion Jensen is limited to my beaters and work trucks that just need sound, not something I actually spend a lot of my time in. And be wary of purchasing from SonicElectronix, I have had bad experiences with them in the past and if you search around, it is not an isolated experience.

As far as double din in a 99-02, that kit will work to mount, but note that significant changes will have to be made to the bezel to get it to look good. You can also go to the junkyard and get a 03-07 dash bezel and radio bucket/bracket and bolt it right in and have a nicer cleaner look for about the same price.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

I bought the pioneer 7300 with BT it had the loose mike too didn't like the idea i returned it
got one without BT the 5300
kinda wish i kept it, cept i didn't like the "blue" display, numbers display was whitish
and i am doing it in red theme
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
MadManAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCncsuHD View Post
You can also go to the junkyard and get a 03-07 dash bezel and radio bucket/bracket and bolt it right in and have a nicer cleaner look for about the same price.
I disagree. To me, that's the easy way out. The way the oversized dash bezel hangs down over everthing and the pocket holes don't line up with the pockets in the dash just makes the whole thing look like a hack job.

I ended up with a Pioneer 3400BH which I love, my only problem is getting used to the 8-band EQ compared to the 3-band on my previous P400UB.

I installed it using the kit from TheDetailss.com and the installation went flawlessly. No trimming of the inner structures required whatsoever, the only problem being with trying to get the wires tucked up behind the center support so I could slide the radio all the way back, but that's a problem even with single din installs. I was kind of surprised that with being twice as tall it's still just as deep also. Anyway, I'm in the process of painting my dash bezel right now and I will post pics when it is done and on.
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I'm also a pioneer guy, followed right behind by alpine and (kicker for speakers and subs, not for HU)

I have an older deh-6800mp which has everything except bluetooth, that was only $220 when it was new. They make newer models with all those features in the 400-500$ range, with the bluetooth voice controls etc. They make a pop-out version as well, if fitting a single din with adapter is easier than cutting for a double din.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
jimmydean

If I was running a HU, it would also be a Pioneer 95% of the time. For as much radio as I listen to, Pioneer has always had the best tuner.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManAndrew View Post
I disagree. To me, that's the easy way out. The way the oversized dash bezel hangs down over everthing and the pocket holes don't line up with the pockets in the dash just makes the whole thing look like a hack job.
If you get the correct bucket everything lines up, and as far as the bezel hanging down over the ashtray and power ports, just get the correct knee bolster and you will have no issues.

I have yet to see the detailss kit installed, I do look forward to installed pictures.

And you made the right move ditching the Jensen for that Pioneer.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
MadManAndrew

As promised, here are the pics. I loved the fit of the kit, it left plenty of material still intact top and bottom and just bolted right in. Being my first time ever using bondo or anything though, it doesn't exactly look great, and the "camo" job just made it ten times worse. Someone with a little more bodywork kind of skills could have probably made this look ten times better, but I favor fabrication so I did my best with trimming the hole and finsihing the new trim pieces and it turned out nicely for my first try. The next time I have the dash apart (I have a backup cam and a parking brake bypass on order) I will take pics of the fit of the bracket. I put the mic in the instrument cluster bezel since I thought it looked pretty tacky up on the A-pillar, and it come through completely clear.

I give TheDetailss.com five stars.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
MadManAndrew

Sorry about the low quality pics, it was really sunny out.
Posted via Mobile Device