The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
canuhover

Ideas needed on how to fix this

Hello,

I am slowly starting my 57 Apache build and discovered some rust under the cowl area under the dash. What would be the best method to fix this?

Completed Project - Factory Five Racing Roadster MK3
Graduation thread Class of 2009
canuhover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
NEWFISHER

Re: Ideas needed on how to fix this

Ospho to kill it and then either cut it out and patch panel it or glass it. Depends on how far you want to take it to fix it correctly or get you by for a decade.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
OrrieG

I had a few places like that. Cut it back to good metal, fab a patch piece and weld it in. It is up high under the dash so its a good place for practice. Look down at the bottom too, water gets in there from a leaking windshield seal, rust hole up higher that let water in and run down the A pillar, or the area below the cowl vent (top) not draining. I think you can also get mud up in that area off the tires that will hold moisture over time too.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:58 AM   #4
canuhover

That's what I will do, cut it out and patch it. You are right NEWFISHER and OrrieG, I need lots of practice before I tackle the cab corners, etc. Thanks a lot for the advise.

Completed Project - Factory Five Racing Roadster MK3
Graduation thread Class of 2009
canuhover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
_Ogre

shave the cowl vent and leave it be
you will never get all that rusted metal replace in the cowl without major major surgery

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
made2drag

if it cant be seen unless you look under the dash....cut out the rust so it doesnt spread, spray some weld thru primer on the exposed edges, trace the old piece to a new piece of sheetmetal for a patch, weld the patch , spray it with "rust fix", then epoxy primer then engine paint on top. wont have any issues ever again
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
pvienneau

For those of you that have cut out the cancer and used patches, where are you getting your patch panel metal and what guage? 16 18 ???

Thanks

Pat
pvienneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
NEWFISHER

I used to keep an old free hood and a fender alongside the back fence and would cut patch panels from them. I would think 18 gauge, but I never bought new from the steel house for body repairs.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
made2drag

if you dont have a steel supplier near you, you can go to lowes or home depot or tractor supply. they sell 10 x 20 inch pieces in a couple of thicknesses for less than 10 bucks. the sticker will tell you what guage. they are plenty thick for repairs.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
pvienneau

Thanks
pvienneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
I used to keep an old free hood and a fender alongside the back fence and would cut patch panels from them. I would think 18 gauge, but I never bought new from the steel house for body repairs.
I keep an old front fender around for practice before working on the real parts. Also use it when I need curved pieces.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #12
mr48chev

I'd have to agee with the guys in that old body parts that are damaged a bit are the best sheet metal doners.

I've looked at the metal at Lowes and Home Depot a few times and to me that metal is way too expensive to use on one of our trucks unless we just flat have to have a piece on Saturday afternoon or Sunday to finish a project. Snoop around and see what steel yards or fabrication shops in the area sell remnants. We have a local farm equipment manufacture (feed boxes and manure spreaders for trucks) that also has a steel yard and you can go in and pick up remnants that are the size you need without paying cut fees. I get all of my pieces for gussets and small brackets out of the pile that the usually have on the floor. They also have racks with sheet metal remnants that you can get a piece that will work without paying for a whole sheet or without paying a cut charge. That 10.00 piece at Lowes will probably cost 2.00 at a place like that.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
62lwbc10

I used 18 gauge steel for all my fabrication. You can get away with 20 for some things, especially if you will apply body filler over it.
62lwbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #14
mknittle

I would buy a patch panel and only use the minum amount needed {not the whole panel} If you are new to metal work compound curves can be a pain. but give it a try if it don't work out use a patch panel.If you get frustrated walk away for a while.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #15
made2drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
i'd have to agee with the guys in that old body parts that are damaged a bit are the best sheet metal doners.

I've looked at the metal at lowes and home depot a few times and to me that metal is way too expensive to use on one of our trucks unless we just flat have to have a piece on saturday afternoon or sunday to finish a project. Snoop around and see what steel yards or fabrication shops in the area sell remnants. We have a local farm equipment manufacture (feed boxes and manure spreaders for trucks) that also has a steel yard and you can go in and pick up remnants that are the size you need without paying cut fees. I get all of my pieces for gussets and small brackets out of the pile that the usually have on the floor. They also have racks with sheet metal remnants that you can get a piece that will work without paying for a whole sheet or without paying a cut charge. That 10.00 piece at lowes will probably cost 2.00 at a place like that.
x2
Old 12-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #16
made2drag

you can also get creative with pieces you might already have at the house. ive got a spare tailgate left over from my 93 yukon...instead of scraping it i can trim pieces using the tailgate's curves and make them work for small patches...already galvanized from the factory too.
another thing ive seen is...people who want to tub their firewall for eng clearance...use the natural curves from a wheel barrow for a nice stock looking look.