The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
Grizz1963

'60 Chevy and GMC owners - Your threads please.

I suspect this is about the easiest way to get a load of build threads and related threads to one year in here, other than the search function, which I also use regularly.

Nicola and I seem very stuck on getting a '60 Chevy Fleetside SWB truck to replace our existing cars.

Mine

Hers

I was wondering how many '60 trucks on here have their own build threads and if you guys who have them, would mind posting up the links to your threads or build threads.

We know very little other than that we want one and will be getting one, especially now the "End of the world" has come and gone like most such dates till now.

What I can offer is a couple of bad photos of a truck I am investigating at the moment.

Colour/color is presumably Crocus Cream with a white roof.

Going by this paint chart.

All of this is still in very early phase of investigation.

I do not even know if the truck is for sale yet.

Hope to find out in the next two weeks.

It has a 350/700R4 combo, airbags, and the front has a 5 stud disc brake clip, rear runs a 6 stud hub, so far from perfect, but I am excited at this point.

Now we obviously need to learn as much as possible about these trucks and any potential pitfalls before committing a load of money to it.

What is in its favour is that it has a load of stuff done to it which I would not have to do, and more importantly, it is already registered and taxed in England.

Thanks for your help and advice.

We really want to get this one right first time around.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Re: '60 Chevy and GMC owners - Your threads please.

Cool Anglia
I assume you know that all the build threads are here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=197
It's a pretty easy search since most members put the year of truck they're building in the title.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum! Nice rides you already have, I love the little Anglia. A link to my build thread is just below. It's not a fleetside, but it is a 1960 - GMC.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post

Cool Anglia
I assume you know that all the build threads are here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=197
It's a pretty easy search since most members put the year of truck they're building in the title.
Thanks guys.

Yes, I do know, I was just being lazy as mentioned and was looking for comments as to reasons why I should not continue to be in love with the '60's looks.

I will also continue to use the search function.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Welcome to the forum! Nice rides you already have, I love the little Anglia. A link to my build thread is just below. It's not a fleetside, but it is a 1960 - GMC.
LOL !!

Thanks, interestingly your thread was the first I read on this board, and showed my wife all excited..... she does not like the GMC grille but loved the change you made.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz1963 View Post

and was looking for comments as to reasons why I should not continue to be in love with the '60's looks.

There's a lot to like about the 1960, specifically the Chevy pickup. From a certain perspective it's the purest of all the 60-66 designs. Everything after 1960 was either a minor trim change or a purposeful modification from original, but the 1960 was the model that millions of dollars and years of development went into. Considering the trucks that preceded the 1960 run, the entire body, the width of the cab, the new suspension design for 1960 were a huge departure. And the trucks were designed to be fleetsides. The stepside was given no consideration or investment at all. I can only imagine the thousands of man hours that went into the original cab and fleetside design creation.

From the GMC position, it appears they were given a few days and a $500 styling budget to make it look different (mostly uglier) for brand identification, so other than the V6 engine it isn’t very special compared to the Chevy.

After 1961 the new hood eliminated a major portion of the original styling. And after 1962 the suspension and convertible chassis went away either due to cost reductions, a Chrysler law suit, or both.

So if you really like the 1960 models keep your enthusiasm alive. It’s a nice riding dependable truck, and a milestone year in Chevy truck history.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

I've got my '60 4x4, and in the future am planning on a 2wd 64, 65, 66, so I have one of each (main) style. I have loved the looks of these trucks for as long as I remember. Good luck in your hunt Grizz!

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote