The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Chance's70

70 SWB with Trailblazer SS frame??? NEED HELP???

Ok, this is my very first post so I apologize if I'm doing some things wrong here.
I have always loved this era of trucks. I had a 69' short box in High School and sold it to go to college. As soon as I got out of College, I found another one and flew to California from Wyoming and drove her all the way home!!!

Now I just finished building my shop and time to dig in head first!! I have a 04' Silverado SS and love how it handles and drives and would like to incorporate modern engineering, supspension, and power into the old classic!!

I was thinking about or seeing if it is even possible of buying a salvaged trailblazer SS and using the the running gear and supsenion for my 1970 C10 or doing a complete underbody swap. I believe my frame dimensions are 113" and the SS is 115". I personally think an AWD short box with about 600+ horse would be a bad mamma jamma!!!!!

Has anyone attempted something like this or can any of you point me in the right direction?

Oh yea 1970 C10 Short Box:
Factory AC/ Factory PS/ Factory PB/ Wood Bed/ 350 SB with 700R4 tranny
Chance's70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
Xeen

Re: 70 SWB with Trailblazer SS frame??? NEED HELP???

Anything is possible with enough money, or you could just go buy a 1969 Corvette, I mean you might as well with how much this is going to cost.
It sounds like from the description that the truck is already pretty nice as it is.
I don't mean to sound sarcastic it's just going to cost alot of money to do what you want to do, were talking 100% custom here, just make sure you understand what you are getting yourself into here before you commit yourself to a project like that.

Last edited by Xeen; 02-04-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Chance's70

Yes, I already know that I'm going to have some serious cash into it!! But I don't want a chevelle ss or mach 1, I want a bad ass old chevy that I always remembered.. THey have the most unique styling and a look that could never go wrong!! I can pick up a salvaged Trailblazer SS for around 9-10K... That includes my tranny, motor, AWD running gear, and if I'm patient, probably the frame and suspension as well. SO really all I have to do is finish the body and interior after that. I can do all the metal fab and mount work, just need pointed into the right direction if anybody has done anything like this before????

Thanks for trying to keep me grounded though and making sure I don't ruin something that is already a good thing!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
builtbyKane

The front driveline will be your headache and most fab time. Also think about track width. I think a trailblazer will be much narrower then your c10. But the challenge could be very rewarding if completed correctly.
Posted via Mobile Device
builtbyKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Chance's70

Quote:
Originally Posted by builtbyKane View Post
The front driveline will be your headache and most fab time. Also think about track width. I think a trailblazer will be much narrower then your c10. But the challenge could be very rewarding if completed correctly.
Posted via Mobile Device
See and I thought of all that as well. Thats why I also thought if a Silverado SS short box, but they only come in 2wd, now I really want a AWD C-10. I think that would be one of the sickest trucks around. I just don't quite know how to start, Salvaged Silverado SS frame and suspension, and mod the Trailblazer front end in?? Or just get the trailblazer SS and start digging in. This is "I'll say a little too pricey" to just dig in, so I'm trying to get some good advice from anyone or everyone that wishes to give there .02 cents on it.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
gerfunken

I know somewhere on the board there's a gentleman that has spliced a C-10 to a modern Tahoe (or Yukon). I looked a bit earlier for the link, but couldn't find it. Granted, what he did was splice it together along the body/floorboard. There's also examples of a gentleman that has placed a K-20 body on top of a current K-2500 Duramax/Allison frame. There's an amazing amount of work that is going on on the board, it's just a matter of being able to find and BOOKMARK (sigh, I've lost too many references) the links for future reference.

1972 Chevy K20
Picture Gallery
Build Thread

1930 Chevy AD
Picture Gallery

1929 Ford Model-A
Picture Gallery

1975 Triumph TR-6
Picture Gallery
gerfunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
gerfunken

Aha, found one of them http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498570

1972 Chevy K20
Picture Gallery
Build Thread

1930 Chevy AD
Picture Gallery

1929 Ford Model-A
Picture Gallery

1975 Triumph TR-6
Picture Gallery
gerfunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
TchncnDen

Look in the 47-59 threads, there are guys that have done it there. I think it's a great idea.
TchncnDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:18 AM   #9
c-10ss

You can always look for a sierra Denali awd or an escalade. Awd didnt just come in the ss. You just need to cut the frame down the right wheelbase and then just body swap and modify the frame to suit for the 69 mounts and clearance
Posted via Mobile Device
c-10ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
Chance's70

That is exactly what I was thinking. The only reason I was thinking of the SS was because I own one, and I'm telling you that I think their running gear is almost bulletproof. I have about 475 horse going though my 04 Silverado SS with just a slightly built tranny with corvette servos. I am pretty rough on from time to time, and it has not let me down in the slightest fashion. The trailblazer stock is already a better powerplant and running gear IMO vs the other listed. What do you think or thoughts on any of this??
Old 02-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
Low Elco

Better you than me, but tear 'em up, Cowboy! I'd love to see the building blocks of this and see what the basic relationship looks like. The SS dash and cluster in the early truck would be awesome, too.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
c-10ss

I am not to fimilar with what running gear is in the trailblazer ss but I got a 07 Sierra Denali awd and I am pushing 450 hp in it right now and I got 22s on it and its doing 0-60 in 6.2 seconds ( not bad for a 6000lbs truck) I am not a fan of the 4l60e Trans I ate those things up in my old silverado even built with corvette servos but I really like then new 6 spd in my Denali . I really guess it comes down to personal opinion and how much fab work u are prepared to dig into . I think if u will go the the trailblazer the only thing u could use is the motor and Trans/t case being a narrower track width makes the front diff and rear diff useless
Posted via Mobile Device
c-10ss is offline   Reply With Quote