The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
mikeyman104

Trying to get on the road

I recently got my grandfathers ’77 C10 long bed that has been sitting in a field for the last 12 years. It has a 250 I6 with a 3 on the tree. My parents were looking to scrap it but I thought it was a cool old truck and had it delivered to my house last year. I have been doing odd and end things on it to get it running and moving but I don’t think it’s anywhere near road worthy yet.

Needless to say I don’t know what areas I should tackle first as I just want to get this thing on the road so I can use it. Not looking for a show truck or anything crazy but again not sure where I need to start.

Cab floors are bad, front and back fenders are pretty rusty, bottom of the doors are in rough shape. I’ve been told the frame is in ok condition or else I wouldn’t have taken on this project to being with. It needs lots of cosmetic help but the engine has good compression and runs ok.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks all!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

mikeyman104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
77ChevySharkBite

Re: Trying to get on the road

Welcome to the Forum!! There's lots of info on here with plenty of knowledge to learn. When you get a chance post more pictures we love pictures here!

My suggestion would be work on getting it road worthy by getting the motor running and driving, after that I would say patch up the cab floor, and then work on the fenders, look into junkyards might be able to find some better fenders than what you have. You saved a classic which is definitely a good thing!

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
rusty76

Welcome to the club man. First things first make it safe. Brakes, suspension and steering in working order. Get the motor running good. Tune up like replace the cap, rotor, rotor button, wires, plugs, fuel filter and maybe rebuild the carb if need be. The carbs aren't too hard to do. It'll take some time but it'll be fun. Any questions post'em up on the board. Plenty of willing souls to help. Godspeed.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
mikeyman104

Thanks for the welcome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77ChevySharkBite View Post
Welcome to the Forum!! There's lots of info on here with plenty of knowledge to learn. When you get a chance post more pictures we love pictures here!

My suggestion would be work on getting it road worthy by getting the motor running and driving, after that I would say patch up the cab floor, and then work on the fenders, look into junkyards might be able to find some better fenders than what you have. You saved a classic which is definitely a good thing!
The motor is going pretty good but after it warms up and gets going, the idle slowly starts to creep up and I have played with the idle needle but without much effect so not sure what's going on there.

I was able to find a front fender on craigslist which was in better shape than the one I got so I was pretty happy about that. Haven't put it on yet though

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Welcome to the club man. First things first make it safe. Brakes, suspension and steering in working order. Get the motor running good. Tune up like replace the cap, rotor, rotor button, wires, plugs, fuel filter and maybe rebuild the carb if need be. The carbs aren't too hard to do. It'll take some time but it'll be fun. Any questions post'em up on the board. Plenty of willing souls to help. Godspeed.
The brakes seem to work OK but I don't know if I'd risk them on the road. No leaks or anything like that though.

I replaced the shocks because, well I could see through the old ones so I figured that probably wasn't a good sign. Got a new rotor cap, wires, plugs and a new Rochester ME1 carb (the old one was completely seized and had a huge mouse nest in it. Probably could have soaked it but it was in tough shape)

Other new stuff includes a new gas tank and sending unit as the old tank hated gas so much that it just spit it out on the ground. Exhaust manifold and gasket as there wasn't much left of the old ones.

Some more pics are below. I know she's pretty rusty but it's a family truck and I couldn't let it go.

Thanks again!
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #5
77ChevySharkBite

Dang bro!! How was the truck even staying up that's horrible!!

I'll say this though bro the hard work you put into it, it'll be worth it when it's all said and done. Glad you were able to get a better looking fender overall truck doesn't like too bad of a truck just needs some TLC which you're going to give it. We all will help give advice and help you where we can, don't be afraid to ask questions or even follow other builds man.

I'm not sure what's going on with the idle man that seems odd.

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
canadian 4x4

fleet side with a wood floor. if you find a new bed let me know what you're doing with this one, im not too far away
Old 05-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
mikeyman104

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian 4x4 View Post
fleet side with a wood floor. if you find a new bed let me know what you're doing with this one, im not too far away
All the wood is rotten in it now and needs all new cross sills. Hoping to just throw some ply wood in the back as a quick fix for now until I can get a kit from Mar-k or something.

The only reason the wife let me bring it down here was because it has a wooden bed and she likes the looks of those (when they're new and nice)
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
1981Stepside

Wow. Spiral shocks. Those are oldies for sure. (besides the obvious rust)
Looks like a good base for a project. Congrats and welcome to the forum
Posted via Mobile Device

My LT1 Silverado build-up: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=549660

Check out my new YouTube channel! - https://youtube.com/channel/UCXk5mZOQI1sEnu5bIkhe7fA
1981Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

hi welcome

the idle slowly starts to creep up<- does it have an electric choke

give it time,your gona be glad you kept it
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
mikeyman104

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
hi welcome

the idle slowly starts to creep up<- does it have an electric choke

give it time,your gona be glad you kept it
Thanks for the welcome!

It has the choke that is controller by the air temperature so I think it is electric but to be honest I am not certain. When it's cool outide it is choked but after a bit of running it will turn off.