The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2003, 08:21 AM   #1
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

12 Bolt Diff service Questions

I am going to pull the cover on my 12 bolt rear end and change the oil and give it a clean out. I have a new fel-pro gasket to go back on.

How much oil does an axle take, I have about 3 litres in the garage, will it need more than this? Should I use sealant with the gasket as well? ny idea on what the bolts should be torqued up to?

Which teeth do I count to work out my diff ratio and how do I work it out once I've counted?

Any other hints and tips that may help me would be welcomed.

Thanks

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 08:55 AM   #2
ginter

Not sure exactly how much it takes to fill a GM 12 bolt, but 3 litres (quarts, close enough) will be plenty. You probably already know that you just fill it up to the bottom of the fill hole right?

As for the gears, when you get the cover off, count the teeth on the ring gear. It's the biggest gear in there, you can't miss it. It runs the same rotation as the rear wheel and is the cause of the hump in the back of the diff cover. Then count the teeth on the pinion gear. It's the one that is directly connected (more or less) to the drive shaft where it comes into the diff. It's the second biggest gear in there, you can't miss it. Although it's buried in the back there a little bit (front of the differential actually, but you're looking at it from behind the truck so...). A scribe or paint mark near a tooth before you start counting will help here.

The gear ratio is just that. The ratio between the ring and pinion. On a 3.07 for example, the pinion gear will turn 3.07 times for every one turn of the ring gear.

HTH.

Last edited by ginter; 07-01-2003 at 08:57 AM.
ginter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 09:17 AM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

The differential will take approximately 3 1/2 pints, US measure.
I fill and check with my little finger. When I can touch the lube, it is full enough.

Usually the ring gear will be stamped with the number of teeth for the ring gear and the pinion, eg: 43:14 which is a 3:07.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 12:53 PM   #4
smokekiki
Mike

Jim you must be right on the oil.My service manual said 4.5 pints.I got a little more than 3.5 before it started to run out the hole.