The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2013, 01:53 AM   #1
cameyer

rear main seal or oil pan leak

I have had a small oil leak on my 64 k10 and it has been getting progressively worse. My leak is coming from the back of the engine and is dripping off the bottom of the bell housing. There is also oil dripping from the 2 larger bots at the back of the oil pan. The oil is also all over the starter front drive shaft and oil filter. I have wiped all the oil off to try and trace the leak but i have no clue how to tell if it is the rear main or the oil pan. Can anyone help me figure out what is causing the leak?
cameyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:36 AM   #2
TopFuel1966

Re: rear main seal or oil pan leak

My money is on the rear main seal. Remove the bellhousing (standard trans) or the torque converter/flexplate inspection cover (automatic). That should tell the story.
TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
T Smith

Check the oil sending unit beside the distributor, very common to be leaking here and running down.
T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
Ronald29609

The 350 I just rebuilt is leaking from the back of the motor. It hasn't been started yet. The crankshaft is .030 under on the mains. The seal came with a Felpro gasket kit.
Is there a special seal to use with an .030 under crankshaft?
There's a one piece neoprene pan gasket and a new pan so I don't think it's a pan leak.
Any help for a retired guy? I haven't done this kind of work in awhile.
Ronald29609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
ACK

The PCV on my 250ci wasn't hooked into the exhaust manifold when I purchased my truck, so it spewed oil from everywhere like a sieve. I hooked it up properly and replaced both the oil pan and valve cover gaskets, it's been tight as a drum ever since.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
cg285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald29609 View Post
The 350 I just rebuilt is leaking from the back of the motor. It hasn't been started yet. The crankshaft is .030 under on the mains. The seal came with a Felpro gasket kit.
There's a one piece neoprene pan gasket and a new pan so I don't think it's a pan leak.
they don't usually turn that part of the crank
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
brokenspoke

Trace the oil up from the botton of the engine.....it could be rear main, oil pan gasket, intake manifold rear gasket, distrubuter gasket, valve cover gasket, pcv, oil sender....all the noted could wind up as you described

Last edited by brokenspoke; 12-17-2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: spelling
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
brokenspoke

BTW I would start at the top cost wise and work down.....valve cover cork gaskets start leaking slow and increase with age....I would change them out...cheap enough
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
tincan1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald29609 View Post

You shouldn't have oil that deep in the pan that it would run out if not running.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
tincan1966

Another possibly way to identify leaks would be to place a large piece of cardboard under the engine area. Start the truck and run it at about 1500 RPM for a few minutes. Let it idle and see if you have any notable steady drips. A rear main seal leaking will normally show as a steady drip while running.

Most of the time, a rear intake seal failure(on V8 engines), valve covers, and oil sender issues will drip after the engine is shut off, as it is residual oil running down the sides of the engine.

As mentioned before, make sure your PCV is working properly and that you have a crankcase vent, as well-either a filter type or a vented oil fill cap. The I-6 engine are notorious for oil leaking around the side covers after someone replaces the oil fill cap. Use of a non vented type on these engines creates pressure inside the crankcase and will push oil out of any small crevice it can find. The V8 will generally leak thru the front seal(behind harmonic balancer) in the case of a plugged PCV.

Just a little input from my experiences, hope it helps.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote