The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
Dan Wales

New to site first post

Boy like everyone else here I fell in love with the 67 -72 Chevy trucks. I worked on these in my early career in the Air Force. can you imagine supporting 100 of these with 327's and three on the tree. I felt like at one time if you could find a bag large enough I could assemble one in a bag.

Father time has caught up with me and after 40 years federal service I retired a few years ago.

Just couldn't get rid of the impulse to have one of these trucks. Looked high and low for one for a couple years actually. I'm NO body man by any means so I needed to find one that I didn't have to strip to the frame. I still have a little mechanical talent which will be put to the test putting this 71 back in good street condition. Right now I have oil leaks every where on this engine and trans.
Of course I'm going to pull the engine and trans and start from scratch. The seller says that it has a higher stall convertor than stock sounds like it. I have no idea what gears are in the rear end 12 posi I think, I will pull the cover soon and start counting teeth,

Right off the bat I'm asking for a little advice & help I have been reading this board for several days now almost every post learning and trying to remember the past we're talking 42 years.

My first attempts at photos. I'm not sure what brand of headers are on here. The flanges have been cut and headers welded straight to the exhaust nice job actually and the truck sounds good but we all know sound can fool ya. In the one photo you'll see #2 cyl header tube hitting on the right motor mount support. I doubled checked the mount is good engine is sitting level. The fan is square in the fan shroud. In other photos on here, it looks like other header sets are clearing the mount by maybe an inch. The other photo if I can get it on here will show #3 plug boot actually touching the header tube. I didn't know shorter plugs were available until I read on here about the Accell shorty plugs. Sure looks to me this would be the simplest immediate solution to this problem. The intake is a Street Dominator and from what I have read on here they're crap. I intend to bite the bullet and get a Holley and Edelbrock Performer off Summit or Jegs. I'm thinking while I'm at it I might as well upgrade the HEI with a unit off Jegs or Summit.

The alternator bracket isn't getting it either I know I can turn the rear of the alternator and gain just a little clearance the but the belt will still be off center. It is now, the belt adjust is also at max in the bracket, someone put shims behind the bracket so it would clear I'm looking for the cheapest solution here I found a couple brackets that should work on Jegs and Summit they look great but also about $90.

Really sorry for the long post, I have not found how to get to the FOR SALE page on here by other members. The majority of the members on here are WAY over my in head in body and metal work.

One other question might as well get the beating over with. It appears the fan is a original 7 blade fan which I like, however there is no viscous drive and when you whip the motor you get belt squeal that's a lot of blade. Any suggestions I have wore out Summit and Jegs there are a few on there that look like the will work okay I'm hoping someone may have bought one or have a better place to look. One good thing so far the radiator is good and that big fan pulls a lot of air.

I apologize again for the extremely long post but to say that I'm impressed with the level of talent and CIVILITY on here would be a tremendous understatement.

Any help and advice truly appreciated

Dan
Attached Images

Last edited by Dan Wales; 08-19-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Dan Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Low Elco

Re: New to site first post

Welcome! You're right, a lot of the guys on here are packing years of experience and amazing levels of skill. The great thing is, most all of them would drop whatever they're doing to help you, if you're coming from a good place and your heart's in it. Pomposity and negativity are ill-tolerated here. Lots of good, skilled Fla. cats on here. Sounds like a cool project, you're in the right place!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

They make shorter spark plugs for header use where plug wire interference is an issue. Also, put some heat resistant plug boots on them (slip on covers) and you'll be fine. As far as the header goes I would trim the engine stand slightly before I went crazy with a hammer on the header tube. Not sure whats up with the alternator bracket... lol, maybe a factory set of brackets are in order? Look forward to more progress, and welcome to the forum.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
gdavis

Welcome. I hope you well with your build. I took mine all the way to the frame. There is not a bolt or part that I haven't touch or cleaned. I enjoy working on my old truck which I call patches. She has has a patch here and a patch there and that is why she is called patches. I started with a 68 cab which I thought it was. It turned out to be 69. It really doesn't matter for I took it to the salvage yard and got another cab. Worked on it for three weeks and took it to the salvage yard. But now I have a solid cab it is a 1970. But on with my build I am now at a stage to where I am rebuilding the vent windows. My brother-in-law from le high acres will do the fine tuning on the body work this week inn. I have been working on the old girl for over a year and Hope to drive her in the Christmas parade in Cristal river, Florida, this year. anyway happy building and don't worry about asking questions. For that is all I do is asked questions. There is a lot of good guys on this site that will bend over backwards to answer any question that comes up. again happy building abd God Bless

Cars I owned in the past.
1962 chev II Nova - 1965 Chevelle SS - (2)1966 Chevelle SS 1965 chev C10 57 belair chev
1967 Chevelle SS - 1969 Chevelle SS - 1972 Chevelle SS

1967 Buick electra 225 1995 Harley Davidson bager

What does not kill you will make you stronger

1968 c10 short wheel base stepper
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
Dan Wales

Thank you very much for the reply guys. Super Cheyenne what you suggested is exactly what I'm going to do. Take just a little out of that right motor mount bracket. Until I got on here I didn't know about shorty header plugs I DO NOW .

I'm going to go ahead and put a newer HEI on. I think the one on Summit and Jegs is $90'ish.

Not going to mess around, while I'm at it going to order a new Holley and Edelbrock manifold, and some decent valve covers hopefully not only look better but straight and true and stop seeping oil.

I know nothing about this engine other than it is leaking everywhere . I've got to get a handle on a few things before I pull it and the trans. I think a 350 Turbo and good convertor would handle anything I will put on this 350. A 4 speed auto would be nice but for the next couple years I'll enjoy this setup once I get it right, and some working A.C. whew.

I know everyone on here has gone through this .... by that I mean sorting a mess someone else has been running. I have a reasonable budget to get the truck solid, thank goodness mama is good to go with finding some new friends once I can get this truck decent enough to go to a get together and not get laughed at. Gdavis I might just get to meet you sometime soon up at the Cristal River my daughter lives in Ocala.

Once again thanks for making me feel welcome fella's anything I can do for anyone all you have to do is ask.

I'm amazed at the metal working skills on here simply outstanding.

Dan
Dan Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
frednoah
86 Scottsdale

Unless you just have to have brand new, you can usually find an Edelbrock Performer intake in good condition on Craigslist or the like for $50 or so. Might need a cleaning, but leaves more $ for the parts fund.
frednoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Welcome to the board!

Which Holley Street Dominator do you have- the old single plane version or the newer dual plane version? If you have the old version, the Performer RPM will be an upgrade. If you have the newer dual plane version (part# 300-36) , it would not be worth the swap. The 300-36 is an excellent intake...
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
67cheby
67cheby

Welcome !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
Low Elco

The Summit HEI was a great upgrade for us. If you look down (or under) your carb, and there's a divider down the middle, keep it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
gdavis

I am glad i rear your comments. I will look into the shorty plugs. I to am having a little clearance problem with the plugs.
good luck

Cars I owned in the past.
1962 chev II Nova - 1965 Chevelle SS - (2)1966 Chevelle SS 1965 chev C10 57 belair chev
1967 Chevelle SS - 1969 Chevelle SS - 1972 Chevelle SS

1967 Buick electra 225 1995 Harley Davidson bager

What does not kill you will make you stronger

1968 c10 short wheel base stepper
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
vegadesign

Welcome to the forum
Posted via Mobile Device
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=564028
vegadesign is offline   Reply With Quote