The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2013, 03:07 AM   #1
gsxr112

1964 Chevrolet C-10 Streering Problem (please help)

Hello all, this is my first post ever on a forum. So if I think I'm posting in the right section. If not cut me break!

So I have a 64 C10 and my pops installed the front cross member/ suspension from a 1976 C-10 way back in the day. The truck rides well but it has a few problems.

The first issue I have is that the truck is that the truck turn too far to the right and not enough to the left side. When you are looking at the truck, it looks like the tire/spindle is going to turn over to the side. I took it into the local alignment shop and they couldn't tell me what was wrong with it.
Do you guys have any suggestions on how to repair this?

The second issue is that the damn steering is too damn sensitive!!! I'll be in the freeway and if I barely turn the steering wheel, the reaction time on the truck is toooo snappy. Should I replace the steering box? or how can I fix this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advanced and happy holidays!
gsxr112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
68racer
Yeah baby!

Re: 1964 Chevrolet C-10 Streering Problem (please help)

Hi, thought I would try to help. Do you have power steering? The earlier trucks did not have a recess in the chassis to take the PS box and if it has been spaced away from the frame this can throw the steering out. Work out the center point in the steering by counting the turns of the wheel and going half way, then have a look and see if the road wheels are pointing straight. If they are not and you have fixed the steering box chassis problem you can adjust the wheels to straight with the tie rod adjusters. The steering box needs to be in the center of it's range when you are going straight. Hope this helps.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
sduckworth13

Power Steering gear box pictures
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=365817
Old 11-28-2013, 04:16 AM   #4
gsxr112

Thanks for all the pointers guys. I'll definitely give it a shot.
I took the front end off the truck and noticed the frame is slightly bent.
I am planning to take it into a body shop to see if they can straighten it out with their frame machine.

By any chance do you guys know how to check for a bent spindle?
Long story short, the truck didn't have power steering. I was driving down this narrow street in la when a dumb a$$ on a little rice burner was flying around a turn. I drove onto the side walk to avoid a head on collision. When I turned onto the side walk, I lost control of the steering as it got away from me. I was doing about 15 mph when I hit. The steering went all the way to the right till it hit its maximum turning radius.
Ever since then I noticed that the wheel is slight slanted when steering straight.

Do you guys know how I can check if I bent the work to if I bent the spindle?

I hope it's the a arm that got bent because I'm waiting to do my taxes to order a set of tubular a arms. When I first got the truck I got a set of cpp dropped spindles and I cut the springs. Could it be that I cut the springs? Everything happened back to back.

Thanks again guys!
gsxr112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I would think that a real alignment shop is your best shot, not just some shop that "does alignments".
Tell them what you have and that it is going to need some custom work, done by an experienced "old guy" who is willing to deal with it. They can do the frame straightening and check all of the parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote