The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
Jahloha

AAW Kit Question/Review

I am seriously considering rewiring my entire truck while the front clip, engine, trans, bed are off the frame. At least I am looking at like wiring a home when there just frames, no drywall.

Anyways, do these kit literally come with EVERY wire my truck will need?

I.E., if I am sold on using this kit, could I just rip out every wire, without concern of missing a wire once the kit gets here?

I wouldnt tear wires out until the kit got here, I just wanted to make a black/white example.

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Jahloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:03 AM   #2
benny70

Re: AAW Kit Question/Review

I did the same for my 67, the instructions are pretty clear and the kit is complete. They also leave the wire long, so after you cut it you have a lot left over if you need more. The only thing you might need are some more splices and connectors, depending on if you waste any.
benny70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #3
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny70 View Post
I did the same for my 67, the instructions are pretty clear and the kit is complete. They also leave the wire long, so after you cut it you have a lot left over if you need more. The only thing you might need are some more splices and connectors, depending on if you waste any.
Thanks for sharing bud. How much electrical experience did you have, prior to install? About how many hours went into it?

And so you ripped all the old wires out, then started the install?

Mahalo!

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-25-2013, 01:40 AM   #4
benny70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahloha View Post
Thanks for sharing bud. How much electrical experience did you have, prior to install? About how many hours went into it?

And so you ripped all the old wires out, then started the install?

Mahalo!
I didn't have a whole lot of experience. I've wired headlights and tail lights but nothing to that extent. It would take at least a weekend, maybe two. Our truck was just a bare cab and chassis when we started, so there really weren't any wires to speak of. On a side note, the truck is finally going to paint this weekend!
benny70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

The AAW Classic Update series kit comes with every wire you will need, and then some. I did mine easilly with no real experience, you can too.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
Lee H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
The AAW Classic Update series kit comes with every wire you will need, and then some. I did mine easilly with no real experience, you can too.
Yes, very nice, very complete. Order based on what you have, need. Like internal reg alt, HEI, etc. call and discuss with them before ordering to make sure you get the kit you need. You will need to proper crimpers, either rent them from AAW or buy them, you can't do a proper job without them. As part the the kit, there is a practice kit of various terminals to get you started. I found the crimping primer on their web site very useful.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
Yes, very nice, very complete. Order based on what you have, need. Like internal reg alt, HEI, etc. call and discuss with them before ordering to make sure you get the kit you need. You will need to proper crimpers, either rent them from AAW or buy them, you can't do a proper job without them. As part the the kit, there is a practice kit of various terminals to get you started. I found the crimping primer on their web site very useful.
Awesome insight. Did you buy a crimper or rent one? If bought, which one did you buy? Were you happy with it?

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny70 View Post
I didn't have a whole lot of experience. I've wired headlights and tail lights but nothing to that extent. It would take at least a weekend, maybe two. Our truck was just a bare cab and chassis when we started, so there really weren't any wires to speak of. On a side note, the truck is finally going to paint this weekend!
Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
Thats the insight I was looking for. I have a good electrical background, just never applied it to a vehicle. So rather then assume I will be competent, best to look at it like a newb. Thanks!

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Lee H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahloha View Post
Awesome insight. Did you buy a crimper or rent one? If bought, which one did you buy? Were you happy with it?
There are two different sizes. I bought both.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
JWPOORE

If you decide to tackle this project, be sure to take some pics and give updates on your progress. I'd love to see your step by step progress to see what I have in store for myself this spring.
JWPOORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWPOORE View Post
If you decide to tackle this project, be sure to take some pics and give updates on your progress. I'd love to see your step by step progress to see what I have in store for myself this spring.
Absolutely. I have been reading a ton of information on the AAW kits and am excited to place an order, albeit a couple months away. I have been reading that the crimpers are key for this project.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
suspect

I did the complete AAW kit. It's real nice. Color coded and every wire is printed with what it goes to. You'll have extra wire and terminals left over. I didn't buy the crimpers. It would've been real nice and quicker to have them, but I just used my standard crimpers and needle nose pliers.

Romans 10:13 Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspect View Post
I did the complete AAW kit. It's real nice. Color coded and every wire is printed with what it goes to. You'll have extra wire and terminals left over. I didn't buy the crimpers. It would've been real nice and quicker to have them, but I just used my standard crimpers and needle nose pliers.
Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for sharing. I am thinking that renting the tool will work just fine, seeing as this would be the only job where I needed a solid crimper.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread