The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2014, 03:12 AM   #1
Matt21lutz

Exclamation Help me! Custom or bolt on air ride?

I'm looking around for air ride kits for 84 c10 and finding that a lot of them have a lot lower stance then I really want even when at max height. I want to have an air ride system with a single tank, most likely one compressor, all the solenoids and whatever else I need. Also want to have a leveling kit on it, analog or digital air pressure gauges but not a touch screen or anything with a screen want real gauges and lastly DEFINETILLY want electric switch to control the valves I guess? not really sure what they're called.

So I need some help here, if I go custom, what all do I need in order to make it? I want to have an ride height that's about in the middle of a 2.5"/4" drop and a 4"/6" drop so roughly max ride height will be a drop of 3"/5" from stock height, not sure if that makes sense? I do know when I park or drop down low I want to drop to the ground almost. I plan on making stops on the bottom of the frame rails so that body doesn't hit the ground but the frame will be sitting on the ground. That's if I go custom.

Need some help here, let me know what you think, should I buy a kit or go custom? lets see some pics too!

Old 03-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: Help me! Custom or bolt on air ride?

Ridetech bolt on http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=345024
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt21lutz View Post

Need some help here, let me know what you think, should I buy a kit or go custom? lets see some pics too!
If your not confident in what your needs are, the easiest route is to order a kit. talk to our Forum Vendors and utilize their knowledge.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
Matt21lutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
If your not confident in what your needs are, the easiest route is to order a kit. talk to our Forum Vendors and utilize their knowledge.

My needs are? I want the performance and handling of a race car on the track and the feel of a Cadillac on the streets lol I know how I want it to ride but I don't know what I need to make my own system, I know I need the air bags, tanks, compressors, air lines, all the fittings, the solenoids, the valves, pressure switches, gauges, switches to set ride height and bump stops.

What I really need to know is what all do i need to consider if i built my own four link style set up. Not entirely sure on what the socks are for if u have air bags, not sure about what kind of geometry nd things i'll need to know. I'm very mathematical and build and make stuff all the time but never made anything like this before.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:58 PM   #5
Matt21lutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post

so i just realized that u were the person i saw here when i first found this forum who had done the ride tech air ride kit. Mind if ask a couple questions about the system? Cause my first thought was to buy that system, specifically level 3, seemed like it had everything that i would need but wasn't sure?
Old 03-12-2014, 11:59 PM   #6
king-918

Part of performance is a lower center of gravity. I would buy a kit; install and enjoy

Oh yeah I'm really a Toyota guy, but had some stuff sitting around.

Oklahoma
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:05 AM   #7
Matt21lutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by king-918 View Post
Part of performance is a lower center of gravity. I would buy a kit; install and enjoy
what do you think would be best for daily street driving?
Old 03-13-2014, 01:18 AM   #8
Pro Performance

Most of the kits out there will have a ride height similar to a static dropped truck, but the ability to go lower. There is only so low you can go before hitting the stock front crossmember and having to raise or notch your bed floor. The lower you go when aired out, generally means your ride height will be lower also.

Give me a call tomorrow and would be glad to go over in detail about what would work best for the vision you have.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:04 AM   #9
andrewmp6

I would go bolt on ride tech like n2trux has on his truck.Its low enough with out doing a ton of work.You get the handling and ride you want.As far as air management you have a few options,Talk to Pro performance he has kits that come with everything from bare basic to the auto adjustment type systems.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote