The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
rhc10

355 SB / 383 SB or LS????

I'm in the process of replacing my SB 350 as I need to rebuild and at this point want to get more power out of it. So my original thoughts were to drop a new crate motor in as by the time I finish rebuilding the cost difference will be minimal between rebuilding what is in there now vs a brand new crate motor.
Now a new thought has come to mind, should I forget the old SB and just jump into an LS. Ideally I would like to have about 375 - 400 HP out of either motor.

**IMPROTANT, I will not be doing any of the work as to be honest I wouldn't know where to start so I'm paying labor on everything.***
Details on truck 72 c10 with new 700r4 tranny, all pull of parts on old motor in very good condition.

I'm very confused as to which way to go. The biggest thing is the cost in going with an LS which I'm not entirely sure of.
If I go with a SB I will be going with a BluePrint crate which range at $2900 - $3300 depending on the model.
I know I can get an LS for cheaper than that but I'm really worried about the changes I will need to make to the truck for the LS fit as well as how much labor I will end up paying. I was thinking that I can look for a donor vehicle which we can pull all necessary parts off of.

I would appreciate any input you all can give me on this and if you have an idea of cost to do an LS swap that would be great.
rhc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
Fatherof3

Re: 355 SB / 383 SB or LS????

Based on the fact that you will be paying for all the labor involved I would recommend staying with the traditional SBC. If you get some quotes for a LS swap that will help in your decision.

Cheap cost = traditional SBC, Cheap power = LS
65 C20 292 4spd 4:56 Eaton HO52
Fatherof3 is offline   Reply With Quote