The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
Churchill

New member here, showing off my new old truck!

Hello all! I just purchased a beautiful 1970 Chevrolet C20 2WD. All numbers match, I checked. Supposedly it's 88k miles is all original and I am inclined to believe that. I bought the truck from my uncle who bought it from his friend, who bought it from his friend the original owner. Originally is had a camper on it and only was used for camping.

I am excited about the wealth of information on these forums and I look forward to sharing my build with y'all in the future!
Attached Images

Churchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
Churchill

Re: New member here, showing off my new old truck!

Here are a few more pictures as well as some more info. The only rust on the truck is a small hole and a couple spots on the passenger rocker and the panel above the windshield inside on the ceiling. I checked the A pillars and there isn't any continuing rust from the rotten forward ceiling panel. I plan to buy a patch panel for the ceiling and weld it in there, and also replace the entire passenger outer rocker. Then I will fix the epoxy on the rain sills and seal up those top marker lights to prevent future leaks. That should keep the Washington rain out of the truck. I plan to do a roll on bedliner after brushing out all the surface rust. A set of flowtech headers come with the truck and I will install those as well as some header mufflers (I was thinking the medium length flowtech purple hornies, the 50 dollare ones). I have rebuilt the edelbrock 1406 as well as purchased a new manifold (edelbrock 2701 performer EPS). And I have an HEI tuning kit so I can properly calibrate that HEI dizzy they just dropped in there. I also have some other plans but that is farther down the line and who knows if those plans will change or not!
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2014, 11:10 PM   #3
Churchill

Here is the top end all mocked up and plugged ready for install, It's so pretty I almost don't want to install it, just let it sit on my coffee table! More pics to come. Thanks for lookin!
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2014, 04:29 PM   #4
Churchill

Just a small update, needed to reroute the fuel inlet because of the new air cleaner.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
sduckworth13

Very cool, thanks for sharing. Looks like you got a nice truck there.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #6
TwinsSpeedShop

Welcome aboard! Great looking truck for you to enjoy, and keep the pics and updates coming! Have fun
TwinsSpeedShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:50 AM   #7
Churchill

Thank you gentlemen for the kind words! I am pretty lucky to have gotten this truck at such a low price. I also can't get over how cheap everything is to build one of these old 350's! My last experiences were a Ford Bronco II which I traded for my 1998 Camaro. All the parts to build up that engine are so much more expensive than this 350! If I can get the truck to get about 20mpg or more than I will seriously consider getting rid of the camaro and making this truck my daily/money pit.

I can't decide between what do do with the chassis/suspension. At first I wanted a lifted muddin truck, but seeing some of the nice lowered hot rods on here... IDK. I do need the truck for hunting though so that may dictate my decision..
Old 05-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #8
Churchill

Got some work done these last couple of days. new intake manifold, rebuilt carb, crane HEI recurve kit. headers going on tomorrow. We've been scratching our heads over a problem the truck had. It would stall as soon as it was put in gear, but idled in park just fine. I figured all these upgrades would fix the problem, but they didn't. I pulled the plugs out and they were at .03. Set them to .045 and now it runs and drives perfectly. I feel silly, it being such an easy fix this whole time.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2014, 09:12 PM   #9
Churchill

More pictures
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #10
Churchill

The brass plugs I put in the front leak a little, even though I put teflon tape on them. I used the grey "easy tape" incase anyone is familiar with it. Does anyone know a good way to seal those things up? Also the chrome inlet arm leaks at the top by the carb and where the barb is threaded into the end. Any suggestions??
Old 05-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #11
Churchill

Well I got everything put together and I picked up some paste type thread sealant with PTFE that I'll use on the plugs. The two plugs in the front coolant passage leak a little bit of coolant. I also had to pick up a air cleaner spacer in order to clear the distributor.

And with the purple hornies bolted right to the headers... this thing is LOUD

A little too loud though so I'm going to throw an X pipe and a few feet of pipe in there and see if it helps. If not I still want the mufflers farther back away from the cab and I can just get some dynomax's or flowmasters or something.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
71cheynne402

Very cool!
Old 05-25-2014, 06:52 PM   #13
gdavis

Welcome aboard there matie. truck looks solid from here good find and good luck.

Cars I owned in the past.
1962 chev II Nova - 1965 Chevelle SS - (2)1966 Chevelle SS 1965 chev C10 57 belair chev
1967 Chevelle SS - 1969 Chevelle SS - 1972 Chevelle SS

1967 Buick electra 225 1995 Harley Davidson bager

What does not kill you will make you stronger

1968 c10 short wheel base stepper
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:34 PM   #14
Churchill

Thanks man! I'm definitely enjoying it. This is my third vehicle and so far it is the one I like the most out of all that I've had
Old 01-09-2015, 04:09 AM   #15
Churchill

Done a few more things to the old gal recently. I have a kenwood stereo from my old camaro that blew up(seen in pics above) installed in the glove box, new steering wheel to replace the original wheel which lost chunks by the day. Also looks like, since I posted this, I added MSD super conductors, a throttle return spring bracket with double springs (and fixed the leaks from the elbow in the picture). Got a couple window cranks the other day because someone busted mine. Not sure if I'll use these ones I got.. Also scored some 72 cheyenne door panels. Not sure if I'll use them but I'm painting them. And last, but not least, A herculiner painstakingly installed by yours truly.

Keep on a Chevy'in!!
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2015, 04:59 AM   #16
98Murray

Nice truck! One of the better ones I have ever come across on here.
98Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:28 AM   #17
Churchill

Thank you sir! I was really fortunate to find it in the condition it was in. It only has 81k miles, has almost ALL of the paperwork that could possibly be assiciated with it including build sheets and registrations. Also service and parts receipts. Had a refurbished th350 in 2006, but wasn't driven much after that. Had a new flex plate, starter, plus everything in the picture. She'll be getting the full rebuild treatment soon enough. (probably within 5 years) All the rust I can find is the drip rails letting water through and rusted the inside above the windshield, the right side outer rocker. Some is starting to show on the right side lower fender. Also some on the inside where the kick meets the floor on the driver side, and the passenger side floor board is starting to go from the outside in. Probably $1k in bodywork before the cab gets primed. Not too terribly bad considering it's 45+ years old.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:13 AM   #18
swamp rat

Welcome from Spanaway!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote