The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #1
Brett66C10

Priming the fender

So I just got a 66 c10 for my early birthday present so I could fix it up. And I sanded all the rust off the back, well must of it. Now I have a problem were the rust is deeper and now I'm sanding wholes in the fender. I was wondering if there's a primer that seals it. I have por15 but decided I don't want to use that (neither does my mom) so is there just a sealer that's easy to apply.
Brett66C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:32 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Priming the fender

Brett, welcome to the site you will find help here. First off by not wanting to use the POR15 is there a reason? Do you not have a place to do this? Do you have neighbors that are hard to deal with? Do you have any spray equipment? You said you are sanding holes in the fender, do you mean into the metal part through the primer or actually through the metal itself? No I am not an investigator and you have not started a big investigation about you and your truck I am just trying to get some thing lined out in my mind so I can better answer your question. Without any more info though I would say, if you are sanding holes into your new fender it may not be much good either. But that is why I am asking. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:09 PM   #3
Brett66C10

Well my mom says that it will be harmful for me, I'd use it other wise if I could convince her and I'm sanding through the medal because some rust spots are deep in there
Brett66C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
tinydb84

POR15 can kill you if sprayed without the right breathing equipment. I would brush it on. If you are sanding through the fender though I would find another one.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:11 PM   #5
bs46488

Brett, my mother-in-law thinks that windex is harmful for you....doesn't mean she's right.

If your sanding through rust spots, you might need to consider replacement patch panel, etc.

I've used a couple of those rust converters in a can. They did an okay job, but its not the "right" way to do it.

Shoot a couple of pics and these guys will give you an answer quickly.
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
earl84

Please do not take it lightly about breathing fumes, they can be incredibly harmful. There is a gentleman somewhere on this board that posted about his experience years back who still suffers from lung damage. I know that it seems like it's not that big of a deal sometimes, but some of these fumes can kill, and others can cause lifelong damage. I spent about $100 on a 3M mask and filters for painting and other filters for welding, grinding and paint removal. Best money I have ever spent on tools, besides safety glasses and facemask.
That being said, I have used some of the Rustoleum paint converter spray in places I couldn't reach. I don't really know how well it does longterm, but it did give some peace of mind.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
yossarian19

I used to work in a shop in Berkeley. The bossman had relationships with local body shops, as any mechanical shop ought to. Many of the local body shop owners have had employees quite literally drop dead while on the clock. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is like death & taxes, man. Stuff is mandatory.
If POR15 states you need a respirator to spray it, listen.
If they say you can brush it on, though, believe it.
Personally I'm starting to do enough painting to invest in a higher quality respirator and a wet mop for the garage. You don't really even want to sweep the paint / rust dust that comes off a 70s paint job.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote