The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
Mgicm

Newer AD Kit... any experience?

Hi
Noticed on the AD engineering site that they have a new(er) kit..not sure how long it has been out. Anyone have a picture of parts included or a list? I am trying to compare this newer kit vs ez chassis. Seems like the AD kit does not include motor/trans mounts but wondering what else. Both seem to cost around $1500 but sure would like a list of all AD parts included to see what is not included.

Thanks
GP
Mgicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
tmoble

Re: Newer AD Kit... any experience?

have you asked AD? They would know what parts they are including.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
Mgicm

I did.. and got kind of a canned answer. EZ puts like each part in a list which is nice and seems to include much more items.

Was just looking to find if anyone here actually got the kit and their opinions.. I see a bunch of info on the old kit and also ez but this was their new kit.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
mr48chev

I never can figure out why guys think buying a worn out S-10 chassis and then paying 1500 for a kit to stick it under an AD truck saves money over swapping the front suspension and then swapping rear axles. Then you have to rebuild the S-10 suspension most of the time .

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
Mgicm

So you feel it is easier to use the stock frame with the existing mounting points and to put on new front/rear parts than dropping it on a s10 frame? I think maybe one reason is the new front clips welding on are not for the basic users and require some expertise to make sure they are welded on properly. Unless I am mistaken? Whats a ballpark price doing it your way from a stock frame to modern suspension? I assume you dont change the motor which would avoid the need for new mounts (motor/trans/radiator)?

Would be nice to see a complete how to on taking a stock frame and doing what you mention... and how it stands when complete. Im sure it is here somewhere so will of course use the search feature.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
mr48chev

Figure that if you use the kit you have 1500 tied up in the kit plus freight to get it to your shop. Then you have around 500 in the S-10 chassis by local prices for a junk longbed S-10. Then you have another three hundred + in rebuild parts not counting tube A frames to get the wheels out in the fenders where the truck looks presentable. After all that you still have a truck that some states may have issues with because it's sitting on a frame that came under a different truck. That is usually solved by documentation that you owned title to the truck that the frame came out from under but get into an accident with a truck that is assembled with a missmatched frame and who know's what the lawyers for the people you are in the accident with will do when they get hold of that.

1500 goes a long way towards buying a pretty decent MII type front suspension and add in the extra costs for the S-10 frame and rebuilding it's suspension and you are right there with Scott's front ends that .

I truly think that way too many guys get caught up in the S-10 thing just because they think that is what the "cool guys" do without much thought to what they are going to end up with.

But if you have no frame, a damaged beyond reasonable repair frame or the wrong frame then the S-10 swap makes perfect sense.

I've got a 51 1-1/2 ton sitting in my yard with a clear title that I can't get 300 out of on Craigslist and am seriously considering an S-10 swap under that cab. I won't squander 1500 on a "kit" but if I do it it will be a decent driving low buck truck that uses up a lot of my left over parts and pieces. The thing is I won't be dragging the cab off a nice 3100 short bed frame to stick it on the S-10 frame.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
Mgicm

You make some valid points. But I think for me it is simpler (I know after reading that how could it be) going with an AD kit. I am put off by cutting off part of the frame and welding a new front end. It is like...important! Not sure how many people can do this perfectly out there or at least not by me. Alot of trust!
Old 10-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #8
55dude

if you do a search their is tons of info with pictures about AD frame swaps on this site! i would never purchase a kit to do one of these swaps after corresponding with people that have purchased kits only to discover they shouldn't have. i have sold s-10 frames to guys for chassis swaps and they had fabbed simple mounts that worked great. they positioned body over s-10 chassis using wood and when things looked good got their tapes out a started measuring. most were using 11g steel, you not building a battleship. my 38 ford truck mounts were wood! more than once they used the s-10 mounts repositioned! i have a 58,59 on a 70 chevy frame and the body mounts are pieces of water pipe! very old build and when i get time i will post pictures and you will laugh your ass off! BUT they work! i have been round with both manufacturing companies and they are far from bolt on!
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #9

And what convinced me to go with the S-10 swap was that now I can go to any parts store and buy the parts I need for my truck off the self. Now I did go with the E-Z kit but I'm really curious about the changes to the AD kit but if I had to do it again after all the research and reading I think I would make my own mounts. But the next one I do will do a Vette suspension swap so I can still get any parts for it. I still don't understand why people have to make a big fuss about S-10 swaps there are draw backs to any modifications!
918733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #10
Mgicm

I do see his point about original frame vs. s10 frame. On paper there is quite a bit of mods to be done for putting a s10 under the AD whereas the original frame seems to be only the front suspension swap and a rear. No need to remount body/bed/radiator/front sheetmetal etc. Makes you think....
Old 10-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #11

I would still feel better about a cab mount breaking loose verse's the front end breaking loose
Old 10-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #12
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by 918733 View Post
I would still feel better about a cab mount breaking loose verse's the front end breaking loose
If your welding skills are that bad then dong a suspension swap is probably out of the question.

My points were and still are that why hack a solid stock short bed frame out from under a nice truck and stick a worn out wrecking yard chassis with probably three times the total miles on it as the stock frame had? Then pay 1500 for a kit to do the swap when as 55Dude said there are a number of good threads on here about doing the swap and fabbing your own brackets or having a local welding shop fab them for probably well under 200 dollars time and material.

The main point that the majority of S-10 swap guys push and expound on is that the S-10 swap is "far less expensive" Than buying a quality front suspension kit and and swapping the rear axle with or with out a rear suspension change. Adding the 1500 kit, rebuilding the Front suspension, buying extended tube A arms to get the wheels out in the wheel openings where they belong so it doesn't look silly and you don't have to run 2-1/2 inch spacers behind your wheels and swap the two wheel drive rear axle for a 4 wheel drive rear axle adding another 200 or so to the cost doesn't put the swap anywhere close to being cheap.

There are bolt on MII style front crossmembers that a guy with no skill outside of being able to properly read a tape measure and drill a hole in the right spot can install in a few hours. You don't have to fab a radiator support, you don't have to fab running board brackets and you don't have to fight getting the cab, nose, bed and running boards aligned properly so that they all don't look like they are running in different directions. Joe no skill with no welding skill is going to have a rough time with that.

I'm just stressing look at all the options before you jump off in the deep end on this. I'm not saying don't do it but explore the options so you can build the best truck you can for your hard earned $$$$.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #13
Mgicm

with a stock frame.. how would you get it to sit low or even bagged? Or that is not happening?
Old 10-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #14
swizzlestick

I'm normally one to keep my mouth shut but I'm so sick of most people on forums. He didn't ask why you hate s-10 swaps he asked for info on a certain new kit. If you have no info on that then keep your mouth shut. Here is the only info I've found other than posted on the ad site. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=609082 I belive he bought the prototype from the builder. Here comes the sh!t storm.
swizzlestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:18 PM   #15
shrek55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgicm View Post
with a stock frame.. how would you get it to sit low or even bagged? Or that is not happening?
Speedway makes a bolt in crossmember that u can use coilsprings-- coilovers-- airbags--even 2 inch lowered spindles-- all u need is to measure correctly and 2 or 3 drill bits
shrek55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:03 PM   #16
bobbyad

Check out code 504 engineering. Maybe look them on ebay too. Very nice complete kit. 900.00
bobbyad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #17
Jordanwake

here are some pics he sent me when I was asking about the kit

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 7688
Size:  51.1 KB

Name:  photo 5.jpg
Views: 3798
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 3248
Size:  53.1 KB
Jordanwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #18
Rednek13x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgicm View Post
i know this is a TF truck and this has a camaro clip. Which i picked up for 200 bucks. But i am using the stock frame. And its sitting on the ground.
Rednek13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:07 PM   #19

The new AD kit looks nice and I was looking at the Code 504 last night and they all have things about them that I like. I choose the E-Z kit over the previous AD kit if I could pick and choose pieces from each kit I probable would and I won't lie I am gonna chenge a few things from the E-Z kit to MY personal preference. And I would have to say not all S-10 frames are worn out the one I started with had a tree fall across it and it sat for years but I am choosing to re-build the front end because I want poly bushing and and I'm gonna use late model 4 door blazer front brake because they are dual piston calipers and will be easier to up grade to Vette C4 brakes maybe later down the road and I don't mind swapping rear ends so I will have 4 wheel disc brakes, to me it's a win win, and I'm going to check out a set of take off wheels and tires and if the off set is what this guys says I will have a set off wheels that will fill up my wheel wells
Old 10-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #20
Mgicm

504 kit is $1299..not $900. Bummer. But it looks like the truck sits so high up with the 504 kit. I think the new AD kit is adjustable??

Also how is a s10 from 80's or 90's more worn out than a 50's truck frame?
Old 10-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #21
Old Crow

Got no horse in this race, but I think what Mr48 is saying is that for a weekend's work and the price of 12 bushings, a couple of sets of shackles, a set of tie rod ends and a set of kingpins, your original front end can be new again. Lowering the truck involves swapping out the axle while it's out and adding blocks to the rear end(yeah, I know there's more complicated ways, but again, why bother?).
Swap to the worn out S-10 and you've got upper and lower control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, and a pitman arm or center link. Then there's spacing out the wheels, lowering the suspension, figuring out how to mount all the stuff to the frame and on and on.
I'll be driving the stock suspension, lowered truck for a year before you get done with your S-10 swap.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #22

And you will be happy with your truck, and I will be happy with my truck, and people will still be complaining about both our trucks, And one day I might build a truck with a drop straight axle and disc brakes and power steering. I've already done a straight axle with new king pins and new bushing
Old 10-03-2014, 03:31 PM   #23
lv2tri2

If you have any value for experienced advice, IMO you'll listen to mr48chev. Just a couple of reasons why I like using the original frame? The old frame likely has less miles, the correct alignment of all the sheet metal, depends on placement of the mounts, including the radiator support. You will end up with a better looking truck. It isn't easy either way.
lv2tri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #24
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Here is my 2 cents.

I also agree with Mr. 48 Chev. If you have a original frame that is in good condition I don't understand why you would not use it. You can get a aftermarket unit or graft in a frame swap. Man you can even graft in the S10 IFS and not have to worry about body mounts and stuff like that. But I also understand we all must do what we got to do.

Anyway here is a 54 AD with a 74 Nova IFS I installed on the original frame. The truck rides like a dream and it has a very nice stance.

[

Last edited by Kabwe; 10-03-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #25

Nice work now lets get back on the subject someone was asking about there experience with AD swap kits what do ya'll think lets help a forum member out