The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2014, 01:58 AM   #1
68vortecimpala

Finally got one! '68 Shorty Stepper

Finally got my hands on that '68 stepside I've been longing after for the last few years...

The pics show exactly how I picked it up from the PO. He replaced a fender, shot everything in this primer and lost his job (opportunity knocked for me!). I picked it up for $5500 and haven't looked back!

It has some rust on the cab supports underneath but the rockers and corners are untouched by cancer. I had to put 4-wheel brakes on it, replace a couple of brake lines, rebuild the carb and adjust the valves (he had the rocker covers on backwards!) but I've been putting it through the paces around town and it is great!

First task is to rebuild the bed (IPE lumber anyone?) and then think about paint. It's going to be a daily driving truck that will be used to haul/pull, so I'm unsure about what to do about painting the bed. Should I paint it and let it get scratched up? Paint it and then roll bedliner on top? Use a plastic insert? I want it to be nice but not too nice to where I don't want to use the truck as, well..... a truck.

68vortecimpala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #2
Xeen

Re: Finally got one! '68 Shorty Stepper

Welcome to the board.

If you don't plan on getting that truck painted in the very near future I would buy some rattle can primer sealer or krylon rust tough and seal that bad boy up, especially in the cracks and crevices because primer is porous and that thing will be rusted a lot sooner than you think.
I can tell this truck has already had some "custom" body work done on it.
If you want a nice truck that will stay nice you need to take this thing down to bare metal before you get it painted because believe me this truck has it's secrets that won't be revealed until you take it down to bare metal, previous owners think they are genius and do "rust repair" and "custom" body work using bondo techniques known only to the idiot savant of this world, so I would take it completely apart and have everything sand blasted and then you will have an idea what you really have to work with, brace yourself because you may be shocked by what is revealed, I know a couple of guys in KC and can ask about a reference for a good sand blaster that won't warp every single panel on the truck.
My advice is to put a hidden tow hitch system on it so you will need the following parts.
Stock sport bumper (primer version $100 new) rear license panel (primer version $30 new) bumper bracket kit ($69 new, $30 used).
Finally the hidden tow hitch $350 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-68-69-7...item3a6926d057
or if you can weld you can make your own hidden tow hitch and save $250.
As far as paint I would put a single stage acrylic urethane paint job on it that way you don't have a ton of cash in it and it will still look nice and you won't be afraid to use it for work then slap some bed liner on it and call it done.
While you are working on the truck if you find yourself scratching your head don't be afraid to ask for some help, this is a community of people who love their trucks and there are some really good dudes on this board that will go out of their way to lend a hand.
You can send me a private message any time if you run into something jacked up and find yourself out of your depth.

Last edited by Xeen; 10-13-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
wreckedchevy

nice find always glad to see more stepper's on here
Old 10-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
mud.man.rj

Nice 68 Stepper, looks to be in good shape, what is the power train in it, 350/auto w a 12 bolt rear. Nice truck to start a build on your way, keep us posted and as mentioned, always ideas and help here, one big family.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
68vortecimpala

Thanks, Wrecked!

Mudman, block casting number says it's a 307/327/350 high-nickel from 68-69. The heads are 1974 vintage (assuming they replaced them for hardened seats). It also has a cam in it but the spec sheet I got is extremely faded since it looks like late 80's-early 90's. Trans is a 400 turbo.

I'm digging the all-body-colored scheme the guy had going but the wife is thinking either teal or maroon. Any opinions?
68vortecimpala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
mud.man.rj

You know on the cheap for a bit could add some nice pinstripping or another body color temp till you make up your mind on paint, makes a huge difference over flat/satin black.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
hdff

my vote is for maroon

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #8
mud.man.rj

If painting, mine is for maroon too, better value if ever reselling and teal is on the out a while back, just doesn't seem to really fit except newer vehicles.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:22 PM   #9
9teen69

Nice find...looks like some good bones -Enjoy!
70 Camaro RS (daily driver backup)
69 Custom LWB C10 (son now drives)
9teen69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:11 PM   #10
70cst

Hey 68vortecimpala ...

to the forums and from Ohio.

Nice stepper you have

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote