The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1988-1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2003, 02:53 PM   #1
OverRunWithSons

Replacing Power Windows Question...??

We have an '88 Suburban, and the guy who inspected it told us if we wanted to put a "winder" in one window, we would have to replace all 4 BECAUSE they are all linked together with wires. IS THIS TRUE???? One of the back windows quit working, needs new Motor, and beings that we want to eventually change all the windows to carefree "Winders", we wanted to replace them as they go bad--if we can. Anybody ever done this, what all is involved and where is the Most reasonable place to buy the "Winder parts" for this job? (LCM truck is sooooo expensive!)
Thank you So much!

OverRunWithSons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 08:53 PM   #2
chiphayes

i have replaces one in my 92,and dont know what hes talking about, them all hooked together.because i took my motor out and all the others still worked.i hope you have some patience,changing the motor is a test of them.
chiphayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 08:54 PM   #3
chiphayes

also bought mine at gm dealer,then found them on ebay for half the price
chiphayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 08:31 PM   #4
OverRunWithSons

Thank You for your reply..

VERY encouraging to hear, I know it didn't sound right. We have a 1978 Blazer to take the winders out of there to do the job for the front windows, but we have to get the parts for the back yet. they sell this KINd Of stuff on EBAY!! ReallY??? I am on Ebay alot, but I never thought to look for Suburban Winders, how did you search for them, what words did you use? Thanks!
Old 08-29-2003, 08:56 PM   #5
hammered94

Find a new mechanic that guy is full of crap. I had a friend change one of mine with no problems about a year ago.
hammered94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 11:32 PM   #6
OverRunWithSons

He's not our mechanic- just the guy who inspects the old vehicles we have, my husband does EVERYTHING himself, he just asks alot of questions (or I do) BEFORE he jumps into a new project is all. We didn't want to mess with this IF what this guy said was true, but after hearing from you all, he will definetly give it a try using our '78 Blazer winders from the front doors. Thanks!