The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
chris mc bride

Tubbing a 69 pannel

While I have been slow(almost reverse) at getting going on panel.Mainly due to me FED tooking money faster than Osama been lying can print it. I am getting started.

I would like to run wider rear tire. Adding tubs is easy enough since I'm doing body off restoration. Wondering about frame. Looks Like I will need to narrow it about 2" per side amybe moore if not big problem. I can cut frame box in between sides and run 2x3 channel then reconnect, I could narrow everything from in front of wheel back. This would mean rworking all rear body mounts.

I think narrowing just wheel area and keeping the rest of the frame in factory location would make body mounting easier. I have done race car chassis but never street vehicle.I am going to be oxing frame as is,just for extra strength for towing.

Looking for ideas or suggestions.If have done this style setup please chime in.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Tubbing a 69 pannel

-
I'm not sure what size tire you are thinking about but I don't think you will need to narrow your frame. It would depend on the wheel offset to a certain extent. The wheel tubs have been widened on my Panel and I am planning on running 14" wide tires on it. I don't have them mounted yet but I do have some 10" ones mounted that I could test fit on it.

Boxing the frame on a street vehicle is not such a good idea because it does not allow the frame to flex as it is designed to do. Chevy trucks have been towing heavy loads for a lot of years without having the frames boxed. If the frame is in good shape I would not do it.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:10 PM   #3
chris mc bride

I will be doing some measurements shortly. I do no think anything wider than 10's is going to fit w/o tubbibng . Its been a while since I was under it, I thought inner side of tuds where almost even with outside of frame. It has been a while and truck is sitting at lil brothers shop awaiting my hands and back.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:17 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mc bride View Post
I will be doing some measurements shortly. I do no think anything wider than 10's is going to fit w/o tubbibng . Its been a while since I was under it, I thought inner side of tubs where almost even with outside of frame. It has been a while and truck is sitting at lil brothers shop awaiting my hands and back.

I don't know what the stock width would be. I will measure mine when I go back out to the shop in a little bit to see what it measures.

LockDoc

-
Old 02-19-2015, 07:42 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I finally remembered to measure the wheel tubs on the Panel. (CRS is a way of life here)

The inside is even with the frame and they measure exactly 20" at the top of the wheel opening.

LockDoc

-