The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #1
rcrahn

Help - Need to lengthen DBW harness

Thought I'd ask some of you for recommendations on an issue I have. My LQ9 engine harness has been thinned down (done very nicely) and the plug for the tac module is close to the core bundle, new fuse panel and OBD reader port. As I lay it out in the engine bay the best mounting point for all these things is on the core support (driver side) along with the ECM. However, there is a minor issue. The stock harness from the tac module to the DBW pedal in the cab is way too short. It needs it to be approximately 6-7' in length now. I really don't like the idea of splicing in wires to lengthen it. Seems hokey. I feel the best solution is to build another harness to the length needed. So a few questions....

1. Where can I get new OEM type wire to build it?
2. Do you suggest I just use wire removed from another Gen 3 harness to create it?
3. Would you recommend a vendor to build this harness for me at a reasonable price?

Thanks for your input
rcrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #2
elimontfort

Re: Help - Need to lengthen DBW harness

https://www.eficonnection.com/eficon...n/default.aspx

I got my wire from these guys. You have to buy a min of 10 feet for the wire but they sell everything to make a harness. I extended some of my wires and haven't had any issues.
elimontfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:00 PM   #3
dayj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrahn View Post
Thought I'd ask some of you for recommendations on an issue I have. My LQ9 engine harness has been thinned down (done very nicely) and the plug for the tac module is close to the core bundle, new fuse panel and OBD reader port. As I lay it out in the engine bay the best mounting point for all these things is on the core support (driver side) along with the ECM. However, there is a minor issue. The stock harness from the tac module to the DBW pedal in the cab is way too short. It needs it to be approximately 6-7' in length now. I really don't like the idea of splicing in wires to lengthen it. Seems hokey. I feel the best solution is to build another harness to the length needed. So a few questions....

1. Where can I get new OEM type wire to build it?
2. Do you suggest I just use wire removed from another Gen 3 harness to create it?
3. Would you recommend a vendor to build this harness for me at a reasonable price?

Thanks for your input
I don't have a vendor recommendation for you for a premade harness since I do all my own wiring. But, if you decide to tackle this yourself, I have some suggestions.

Download the Delphi connector catalog here:

https://www.powerandsignal.com/docs/...%20Catalog.pdf

It will have all the connectors, pins, seals, etc. that are used in the factory harness. I think the TAC harness uses Delphi "GT" series connectors, but double check me on that. Once you have the part numbers for what you need, buy them from an electronics supplier like Mouser at http://www.mouser.com. The price will be much, much cheaper from an electronics distributor than an automotive supplier.

For wire, there is nothing wrong with "harvesting" wire from another harness. Also, there is nothing wrong with a properly executed splice. Google "western union wire splice" for an example of how to make a strong, permanent splice. Followed with solder and the proper heat shrink, it will outlast the vehicle you're putting it in.
dayj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:48 PM   #4
rcrahn

Thanks guys for this feedback. Some great info....Man, that Delphi catalog is HUGE!
Old 05-02-2015, 04:51 PM   #5
ls1nova71

Let me get this straight, you modded a factory harness, and now are worried about extending the TAC wires? How did you mod the rest of the harness? Like Jonathan said, if you make proper splices, it will be perfectly fine.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

The only reason people can get worried when extending the tac harnesses is
that the tac is really effing sensitive about the resistance on those wires. Putting in a piece of weird gauge wire, or using a Gob of solder that actually affected the resistance could technically cause an issue. There actually have been a few threads on ls1tech about that, but almost every time is was related to installer error.

A mechanical connection would be ideal. Worst case scenario, you just unpin the molex plugs, and run new cut-to-length wires. Either way, you could always TRY the splice first. Automotive wire is available at most good parts stores, and places like Delphi, AllElectronics, maybe even Mouser can get it for you.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:06 PM   #7
rcrahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
Let me get this straight, you modded a factory harness, and now are worried about extending the TAC wires? How did you mod the rest of the harness? Like Jonathan said, if you make proper splices, it will be perfectly fine.
The LQ9 engine harness was thinned down by 150tunes.com and I'm confident they (Wayne) did a fine job. I just discovered this issue when it came back.

Since this is the tac module/DBW harness which does control the throttle you better believe I am concerned about splicing/modifying it and changing the resistance. So I just asked.

BR3W City - I really appreciate your input about some issues reported on other forums. I'm going to run new wires. I see no reason not to.