The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2015, 01:01 PM   #1
Layne

Stock Wheels and Tires

I have a 1968 C-20
I have found some correct hubcaps.
I also have some leads on some wheels.
As far as tire availability,
am I better off with 16" Split rims, or 16.5" non-split wheels?
Pros/cons?
Layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
TheCougarine

Re: Stock Wheels and Tires

I don't think anyone here will recommend using those split rims, they're pretty dangerous. Not sure how tire availability is for 16.5 inch tires but I'm sure theres some out there. You could do what I did with my C20 which is get some 16 inch wheels, theres a ton of them out there.
TheCougarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
Layne

I have not been able to find 16" Wheels with the clips for my 3/4 ton hubcaps.
If you know of any, please let me know.
thanks, Layne
Old 06-18-2015, 01:38 PM   #4
geezer#99

Don't go split rims.
Find some 16's and install your own clips.
Like these.
http://www.socalautoparts.com/produc...et-set-p-13420
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
Layne

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Don't go split rims.
Find some 16's and install your own clips.
Like these.
http://www.socalautoparts.com/produc...et-set-p-13420
I'm not opposed to that. What wheels can be used for this? (profile/backspacing,ect)
Old 06-18-2015, 02:42 PM   #6
SS Tim

Most of the people shying away from three piece lock ring wheels have never really dealt with them. While they do have issues it is a usable type of wheel. Now the actual two piece split rim is better left to history.
Probably the biggest "con" to lock ring wheels is the need for tubes and flaps. These are in addition to the tire costs that can add up.

I'd agree 16" tires on a one piece drop center wheel is going to offer the most universal tire selection. But that said, if you truely want hard core period stock, the base size 7-17.5" along with the optional 16.5" and 16" sizes are available, even bias ply versions.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
factorystock

It really depends on what "look" your looking for. If your serious about the stock period look, there were several wheels available in 1968. All can be found, but some are harder to find than others. The line up for '68 C 20s' were: 16" lock ring, 17" lock ring, 16.5" solid, 17.5" solid and 19.5" solid. All these wheels came with clips for hubcap retention.Most 1968 Custom Campers came with 7.50-16 tires on 16"x6 lock ring wheels. Nothing wrong with lock ring wheels, but they just need to be mounted by truck tire dealers only. Most people don't like the extra expense associated with these rims, as SSTim mentioned. Lock rims constantly get a bad rap, most people think they are the dangerous split rims that were only used on 1 1/2 ton trucks. Everytime someone comes up with a horror story, they never provide details of exactly which style rim came apart. Was it a dually type 1 1/2 ton truck wheel? They never say, they don't know. Was it installed correctly? They never say, they don't know. Were parts mismatched? They never say, they don't know. Was it a 16" GM 8 lug wheel? They never say, they don't know. Do they have any documentation of any safety recall on the 16" GM 8 lug wheel? They do not say, they don't know. The lock ring wheel design has been proven on literally millions of all types of commercial vehicles for decades. Don't let the uniformed scare you with there horror stories of wheels they have no specific details on. If you don't want commercial style lock ring wheels, fine, you can always go with the 16.5" 17.5" or 19.5" solid type wheels also. The 16.5" would be the most common for Custom Campers. The '67-'68 8 lug 16.5" wheels came with clips for hubcap retention, then dropped in 1969 when bump wheels were introduced. 16.5" tires are generally lower and wider compared to the 17.5 and 19.5", which are tall and narrow. Here is a 1968 GMC 3/4 ton Custom Camper with correct hubcaps on 16.5" wheels with clips.
Attached Images

factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:22 PM   #8
Layne

Thanks for all the info!
I really want to put my truck back as close to stock as possible.
This has been as much of a search for info, as a search for the caps and wheels.
Have some caps now, just need to find some wheels.
Thanks again for the history lesson.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:47 PM   #9
Elliot949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne View Post
I have a 1968 C-20
I have found some correct hubcaps.
I also have some leads on some wheels.
As far as tire availability,
am I better off with 16" Split rims, or 16.5" non-split wheels?
Pros/cons?
While the split rims seemed to have been the more popular rim for the time I would go with the straight rim... Getting people to work with split rims are far and few between and costly when you do find them...

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #10
Layne

So from what I'm hearing, split rims are harder to get worked on, and I he 16.5,17.5 have less tires available.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #11
Layne

Found this quote in another thread. Is this correct? Can i not run radials on split ring rims?

"I've been investigating tires for my '66 C20 with lock ring wheels. Seems that radials aren't a good match for this style of wheel (different bead profile) but in bias ply there are several choices available. I think that's the direction I'll have to go to maintain the correct pie crust look with the two piece wheels. Radials sure drive nice but they just don't look the same."

thanks, Layne
Old 06-23-2015, 10:30 PM   #12
sodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne View Post
Found this quote in another thread. Is this correct? Can i not run radials on split ring rims?

"I've been investigating tires for my '66 C20 with lock ring wheels. Seems that radials aren't a good match for this style of wheel (different bead profile) but in bias ply there are several choices available. I think that's the direction I'll have to go to maintain the correct pie crust look with the two piece wheels. Radials sure drive nice but they just don't look the same."

thanks, Layne
Incorrect. There is a lot of confusion around this issue. I know I used to be as confused as anyone about it. But I've been doing a lot of research on bead profiles on these older wheels and I've learned that as long as you have a tire that's the same size as a given wheel the bead profile will match. This is straight from the US Tire and Rim Association, the body which oversees such matters. Whole-inch size wheels/tires (15", 16", etc) have one particular bead profile whereas half-inch wheels/tires (16.5", 17.5, 19.5") have a different bead profile. Don't mix and match! So as long as you don't try to put a 16" tire on a 16.5" wheel any tire you choose will be fine. Even if it's a radial on a lock ring wheel. Just make sure the tire is appropriately sized for the wheel and you'll be fine.

Pictured is a 7.50R16 radial tire on a 16" lock ring wheel (on a '65 C20).
Attached Images

Custom Camper Club-- Own a 65-66 Custom Camper? Join us at: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/g...hp?groupid=117

Last edited by sodly; 06-23-2015 at 10:51 PM.
sodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:44 PM   #13
Layne

Thanks for the info!
Now I just gotta find some!
Old 06-23-2015, 10:49 PM   #14
mike16

split rims are not dagerous idiots are dangerous.

have the origonl set 16' od split rims on my 68 k 20. have not killed or maimed anybody yet. I got one piece rims on my truck because nobody knows what thier doing or how to think or act safe, suits me just fine because I dont want idiots learning nothing at my expense.

Interesting about the hubcaps.the 67-68 rims use clips to retain the hubcaps one piece rims only work with the69 and later hubcaps which look better imo. you couild put 68 centers in one piece outer rims and fit the 68 hub caps but thates pricey too

Last edited by mike16; 06-23-2015 at 10:58 PM.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:27 AM   #15
Chevymaster461

Most likely you won't be able to use split rims cause most if not all tire shops won't install tires on them cause of how dangerous they are ... I know you want to use oem factory style rims but I would recommend finding a 1 piece factory style rims or getting them custom made .. I feel your pain I'm trying to restore my rare truck to factory... You can find 16.5 tires from places like cokertire.com they also sell rims might be able to find every thing your looking for....
Hope this helps
Chevymaster461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:21 AM   #16
picklito

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
split rims are not dagerous idiots are dangerous.
Ha Ha, good one, Mike! My concern is that most of the kids in tire shops weren't even born when split rims were common and tire guys knew how to safely work on them. I think it'd be a rare shop that would want that job.
picklito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:36 PM   #17
sodly

Just go to a truck or farm tire shop. Shouldn't be a problem.

Custom Camper Club-- Own a 65-66 Custom Camper? Join us at: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/g...hp?groupid=117
sodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:15 PM   #18
TheCougarine

Whether they are dangerous or not when handled properly, it is going to be much more difficult to find anyone to work on them, end of story. If you want to be able to take the truck to any tire place you are going to want to find some 1 piece wheels and put hubcap clips on it. If thats not important, then you just need to find a place that will work on them and go from there.
TheCougarine is offline   Reply With Quote