The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
Shtudwn

66 C10 Power Brake Question

Hello,

I know there are some great threads on swaps but I want tomake sure before I go buy something, again, I can't use. ugg! My fault...no one elses.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=367260

Anyway, there's an 86 C10 5 lug donor that has power brakes and disks. What can I take from this for my stock truck?

Power brake booster/master?
Disks and spindles?
Control arms?

What else should I take?

Thank you.

Dan
Shtudwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
66 C10 383

Re: 66 C10 Power Brake Question

Depends on the route you want to go. If you want disc brakes & stock ride height, grab the spindles, calipers, rotors. The calipers can be used as cores if not usable. Be aware that the rotors & calipers can be either 1" or 1 1/4". The spindle is different between the two, so you can't put thicker rotors on the thin style spindle.

Unless you want to upgrade to the newer style bushings, your control arms will work. Just use the same year ball joints as the spindle. Simple remove the old, replace with new. To use the 86 outer tie rod, an adapter sleeve will be needed to go with the older inner tie rod.

I'm not sure how to mount the booster to your firewall. I'll be using a Captfab bracket to mount a booster along with his plate to mount the same year steering box.

If you grab all the steering linkage from tie rod to tie rod with the steering box, pitman and idler arm, that will all fit with just the idler arm holes needing to be redrilled.

Keep in mind, being an 86 & being 29 years old, parts will need replaced. The center link, unless bent, will be usable. It's a non wear item.

While doing this, please upgrade the u bolts holding the lower arms on. Use the replacements for the 86. They will be larger diameter, needing the holes drilled out. The smaller stock ones are notorious for breaking.

I lived in your neck of the woods for about 3 years, well, in W. Richland ... beautiful country.

Old Build Thread - 383/T56
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=540838

Updated Build Thread - Modern Relic - 66 C10 536 Dark Aqua
5.3/4L60E - BTR Stage IV Truck Cam - Vintage Air - Dakota Digital
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=778784
66 C10 383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:13 AM   #3
Shtudwn

Thank you Doug. That's exactly what I was needing.
Shtudwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:39 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

X2 on what Doug had to say.

If you must use the '86 booster, you will have to drill holes to mount it to your firewall. I'm not sure where those holes will come out on the inside as I have never used one of those on a '60-'66 truck. Using that booster will also not give you the solid connection between the booster/master and the pedal bracket as it will when using the factory mounting holes as my booster bracket does.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote