The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2015, 10:04 PM   #1
34kw

Newbie Question about cabs

I just found this site and it's amazing - especially the build threads. I'm thinking about jumping in on an AD build, probably S-10 frame. My question is about the cabs. Are there any size differences in the 3100 and 3400 and 4400 cabs? I understand the 1/2 ton-3/4 ton etc. for suspension and frame, but are the cabs the same? I'm sure this has been covered a lot but my search didn't turn up anything. Thanks
34kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:49 PM   #2
Atommik

Re: Newbie Question about cabs

Yes those cabs are all the same. Some slight differences year to year, but they are the same "size".
Atommik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:02 AM   #3
mr48chev

Atommik pretty well nailed it. AS for the cabs themselves they are the same as other cabs of the same year model and there are year by year changes that aren't a big deal most of the time but they are a tad different.

Big changes: 47/50 had one piece glass in the doors and a side vent on the drivers side of the cowl. 51 hand wing windows but had the turn down door handles and no cowl vent on the side. 52/53 had wing windows, push button doors and no cowl side vent.

This in conventional cabs.
Note though that the front end sheet metal is different between the half,three quarter and one tons that have the same front end sheet meal and the 1-1/2 tons and up which have the big ribbed bumpers ,longer noses and taller fenders.

Good info here:
http://www.cs.siena.edu/~lederman/tr...ignTrucks.html

http://www.adchevy.com/info/yeartoyearchanges

depending on which one you prefer.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:52 AM   #4
34kw

Thanks to both of you for the info. It seems like I run across cab parts of bigger trucks more often than the 3100. Since I won't be going all original anyway, it might be easier ( and cheaper) to start with one of those.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #5
mr48chev

Quite often you find a nicer cab on the big trucks because a lot of them only got used a couple of months out of the year for harvest and always had a box on the back that protected the back of the cab.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #6
paulspickupparts

47 cabs will have single rear cab mount . Not sure exactly when they went to double shackle mount . Single mounts are kind of rare. If you prefer the one piece side glass in the doors you want a 47-51 cab. 54 of course has the most changes with one piece windshield , different dash and cowl vent. Slider seat tracks started in 51 . Repaced the cable and pulley system which is kind of a nightmare to make work correctly. Early cabs had frame mounted gas tank. Later in cab. Other little weatherstrip differences and interior trim.
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:40 AM   #7
34kw

mr48chev -I was thinking the same thing about finding a cab in better condition in a bigger truck. I've seen a few in machine sheds that looked pretty good. paulspickupparts -Thanks for the details. Those kind of things are a big help in finding the right cab. I'm still amazed by the project builds on here. The fab skills are obviously great, but to document all the steps with pics is an art form of it's own. Very helpful for guys like me. I've done a few projects, but I can never remember to take a pic when I should and keep them all in order. Great job guys!
Old 07-15-2015, 09:04 AM   #8
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

In 47 and 48 with a floor shift and a floor hand brake the left inner fender is longer than a truck with a foot e brake and doesn't' interchange with later years, 47-48 the inner back of the cab is different due to the center hung cab mount the outer sheet metal is the same as later years. The windshield where the rubber meets the glass and roof is sloped to the rubber and later years are stepped. The firewalls are different depending on year in the way they were reinforced. 47 almost flat to 55 with many ribs in it

The short version is
47-48 same with minor model changes
49-50 same with minor model changes
51 up had the most significant changes in windows and door handle and side vent.
51 doors only correct for 51's
52-53 same with minor model changes
54 up windshield was the big change
54-55.1st same with minor model changes

most vendors, us included, lump 47-53 into one class and most all parts will work with exceptions of whats listed above and by the others.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:16 AM   #9
mr48chev

Dave pretty well gave the best condensed version.

The earlier at least 47 cabs are said to not have the rain channel across the top of the cowl like this 49 cowl has about an inch or so back from the edge
47,8 & 9 had the flat firewall panel and I think 50 did. like this

51/53 had the reinforcement ribs stamped in the firewall like this 53.

Big trucks with the 4 speed always had the handbrake next to the shifter. I'm pretty sure that the 48 had the foot pedal for the park brake on the left side of the floor like later rigs. They changed to column shift in 48 on the 3 speeds.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:45 PM   #10
34kw

I had a fleeting thought (at least I hope it's fleeting) of using the longer front clip and putting in a 6bt cummins engine. I would still want to use a regular step side short box. It would probably look a little strange and the S10 frame might not work. I would need a beefier front end I'm sure. I put one in a 1993 chev 4dr dually and it came out pretty nice, but I had more room to work with.