The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2015, 04:36 PM   #1
aod92

Inline efi fuel pump location?

I installed my under bed tank and now I'm about to install my inline efi fuel pump. The fuel gets fed from the bottom back of the tank which is much lower than the fame rail where I want to mount the pump. Does my pump have to be gravity fed or will it be fine pulling the fuel up hill? Not sure if it's gonna be making my pump overwork?
Attached Images

aod92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
cooperhw

Re: Inline efi fuel pump location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aod92 View Post
I installed my under bed tank and now I'm about to install my inline efi fuel pump. The fuel gets fed from the bottom back of the tank which is much lower than the fame rail where I want to mount the pump. Does my pump have to be gravity fed or will it be fine pulling the fuel up hill? Not sure if it's gonna be making my pump overwork?
I have a similar setup on my Chevelle. Comes out of the tank and immediately into pump hanging onto the side of my framerail. Then into a corvette pressure regulator/filter unit. Second line out the back of the regulator/filter goes back to the tank and the line out the front goes to the engine. 9000 miles so far, no trouble.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
aod92

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
I have a similar setup on my Chevelle. Comes out of the tank and immediately into pump hanging onto the side of my framerail. Then into a corvette pressure regulator/filter unit. Second line out the back of the regulator/filter goes back to the tank and the line out the front goes to the engine. 9000 miles so far, no trouble.
Does your line go uphill on the way to the pump?
Old 09-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #4
cleszkie

You will probably starve the pump and burn it up eventually if it is located that far above the bottom of the tank. Now is the perfect time to install an in-tank pump while you have everthing exposed. An in-tank pump will run cooler, quieter, and much longer than a gravity fed external pump. Your EFI will than you with better performance as a result of consistent fuel pressure.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:44 PM   #5
tsetsaf

We started with a similar setup and had fuel delivery issues from day one. Installed an in tank unit and immediately ran perfect. Much easier to do it right the first time. Also hard line and steel braid is your friend.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:12 AM   #6
aod92

Unfortunately I'm not gonna be able to use an intank pump. The tank I bought has no way to drop a pump into it. I'm gonna have to fab a bracket at the back of the tank right at the outlet so I can mount my pump there.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
cooperhw

Quote:
Does your line go uphill on the way to the pump?
No, I guess it doesn't. It comes out of the fuel cell mounted in the truck and drops into the pump/filter.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #8
bMr

You may not want to cut a hole in that gorgeous tank, but just in case... Aeromotive has a an in-tank pump for exactly this situation.

http://aeromotiveinc.com/phantom-fuel-system/
bMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #9
tsetsaf

We used this. Replaces the stock pickup and can be adjusted in height: http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd84.htm

In your picture it goes in where that gold plate is on the driver front of the tank
Old 09-09-2015, 07:49 PM   #10
aod92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsetsaf View Post
We used this. Replaces the stock pickup and can be adjusted in height: http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd84.htm

In your picture it goes in where that gold plate is on the driver front of the tank
The gold plate is actually the sending unit for the gas gauge. Can't put it there. If I use that style pump I'm gonna have to cut a hole in it.

Have any of you guys ever run your fuel lines down the drivers side frame rail?
Old 09-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #11
cleszkie

Why so against cutting a hole in the top of the tank to drop in a fuel pump? I did it when I installed my Aeromotive in-tank pump. The kit comes with all the fittings and seals to make it look like a factory install, not a frankenstein hack job. Super easy to install, especially on a new tank that has not had any fuel in it yet like yours. It takes A-N fittings too on the outlets and return line inlet, so no hose barbs and hose clamps.

I understand it is pretty expensive (I paid something like $500 for my Aeromotive in-tank pump kit). But it was money well spent in my opinion because my fuel pressure is always rock solid and my fuel injection runs perfectly.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:41 PM   #12
aod92

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
Why so against cutting a hole in the top of the tank to drop in a fuel pump? I did it when I installed my Aeromotive in-tank pump. The kit comes with all the fittings and seals to make it look like a factory install, not a frankenstein hack job. Super easy to install, especially on a new tank that has not had any fuel in it yet like yours. It takes A-N fittings too on the outlets and return line inlet, so no hose barbs and hose clamps.

I understand it is pretty expensive (I paid something like $500 for my Aeromotive in-tank pump kit). But it was money well spent in my opinion because my fuel pressure is always rock solid and my fuel injection runs perfectly.
I'm really not against it I'm just not sure where the baffles are in the tank and I don't want to ruin a $500 tank by cutting a hole in the wrong spot. Plus I already bought a $300 Holley pump so I'm trying to make what I have work. I wish I would have bought the tank with the pump in it already but that's my mistake.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:07 AM   #13
tsetsaf

Quote:
The gold plate is actually the sending unit for the gas gauge. Can't put it there. If I use that style pump I'm gonna have to cut a hole in it.

Have any of you guys ever run your fuel lines down the drivers side frame rail?
Exactly it is the sending unit. Very easy to fab the sending unit and attach it to the in tank pump. (you pop the tack welds on the sender and fuel float and attach them to the body on the new pump assembly).

No cutting required.

You could easily run the fuel line down the driver side.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #14
tsetsaf

Basically your choices:

1. Mount the external pump on the bottom and back side of your gas tank = dangerous location. Risk starving and burning up pump + potential damage from road hazards.

2. Cut new hole in tank = requires cutting. Need to make sure you remove all debris.

3. Mount the unit I linked right in your sending unit hole = requires removing and attaching float level to the new pump assembly.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:18 AM   #15
aod92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsetsaf View Post
Basically your choices:

1. Mount the external pump on the bottom and back side of your gas tank = dangerous location. Risk starving and burning up pump + potential damage from road hazards.

2. Cut new hole in tank = requires cutting. Need to make sure you remove all debris.

3. Mount the unit I linked right in your sending unit hole = requires removing and attaching float level to the new pump assembly.
Ok, I didn't realize you could still attach the float to that assembly. I'm gonna look into that for sure.

Thanks for all the help guys. I need to start doing some more research before I pull out my wallet and buy things!
Old 10-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #16
aod92

Just bought the aeromotive set up. I'll post pics after its installed!
Old 10-17-2015, 04:33 PM   #17
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bMr View Post
You may not want to cut a hole in that gorgeous tank, but just in case... Aeromotive has a an in-tank pump for exactly this situation.

http://aeromotiveinc.com/phantom-fuel-system/
It isn't needed. The Holley Red and Black pumps are positive displacement pumps unlike the stock in-tank Corvette pumps. Mine is mounted on the frame rail, the pump lifts gas out of the top of the tank and has done so happily since I finished it in 2006.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:18 PM   #18
aod92

Just installed it. Nice clean look and no pump on my rail.
Attached Images