The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2015, 03:28 PM   #1
ben88

Drum to Disk swap resulted in tire hitting fender! :fry:

Hi Y'all,

I just completed a Drum brake disk swap on my 68c10 step side, Using the stock 68 Upper and Lower control arms, stock front spring, 73 and up spindle, caliper, disk, spindle. I also used the 73 and up front steering linkage.
I know that 31x10.5x15 are big tires but now when I hit a bump or go around a corner to drastically the tire rubs on what I think is the outside fender. What I am trying to figure out is if there is a extended bump stop that will essentially make the truck bottom out before the tire hits.

This is my first truck and I have been working on it since I was 16, since that was only 4 years ago I am looking for some aged advice.

-Ben
Attached Images

Last edited by ben88; 09-10-2015 at 03:35 PM.
ben88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
ben88

Re: Drum to Disk swap resulted in tire hitting fender! :fry:

I should also mention that the wheels are 15x10 which widened the tires a bit, I plan on running 295/50/15 in the future but I have to save some $$ first hahaha.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
geunther

I think the combination of the 10" wide wheel and what appears to be some negative offset is causing you the issues.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben88 View Post
I should also mention that the wheels are 15x10 which widened the tires a bit, I plan on running 295/50/15 in the future but I have to save some $$ first hahaha.
I do not believe its the tires, most obvious the wheels and the change in offset. You could always fabricate a new stop with an adjustable height. That would be trick!

That is the great thing about these trucks, inexpensive modification fixes with improvements.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I don't know how much wider the track width is on the 73+ trucks, but if I remember correctly the 71/72 spindles push the wheels out about 3/4" per side compared to the 67-70's, which is why GM widened the rear axles of the truck in mid 1970.

You have quite a few things happening (all of which I'm sure you know.) The tires are too large, they stick out too far, and your springs and/or shocks are likely a little worn.

Do you have a sway bar?
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:02 PM   #6
ben88

I unfortunately do not have a sway bar but I am very interested in getting one, I have heard that it improves the handling quite a bit. The wheels have a backspacing of 3 3/4. The 295/50/15 will have shorter profile which will probably improve the issue but I really like the look of a filled out fender and a wide tire. Also I think the shocks are stock from the factory.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #7
Xeen

That is correct the disc brake package moves the wheel out 3/4" on each side for a total of 1.5" and there is where the problem lies.
You can fix this issue by spending money, CPP offers a "Modular" drop spindle that will lower the front end 2" and bring the wheel in 3/4" to get you back to the same geometry as the original drum brakes.
If you decide to buy them you will also need to buy their GM disc brake bracket so you can bolt up the caliper, that's the modular part, they have different brackets for different brands of brakes, GM, Wilwood, Baer, etc.
Make sure you order the correct year modular drop spindle, they make both parts for 1967-70 ball joints and 1971-72 Ball joints.
Here is the link to their website.
http://www.classicperform.com/Chevy-Truck.htm
Old 09-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

295's up front? That is a really wide tire for the front. 295's out back... sure... but you need a smaller tire up front unless you wanna do some body work on the fenders.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:26 AM   #9
Xeen

Some further thoughts.
I just noticed you installed 1973 spindles which is fine CPP makes the modular for 1973-87 too, the part number is "CP30106-4" so on to other things.
The 10" wide wheel is the real problem here these trucks were never designed with the intention of having a wheel that wide on the front, I don't think anyone even manufactured wheels or tires that wide for passenger cars and trucks in 1968.
If you would have installed 8" wide front wheels you wouldn't have run into this issue, I know the disk brake track width isn't something you knew about so don't beat yourself up about it, a little money can put out this fire.
The one thing I'm not 100% sure on because you didn't mention it, is the 73' spindle a 2.5" drop spindle or is it stock, if it's a drop spindle then the modular will work perfect but if it's stock I'm wondering if the tire will clear the inner fender lip with the 2" modular drop spindle because the tire will be closer to it, you will need to measure to see if the 3/4" you are going to gain is enough.
I know you don't want to spend more money and you just bought spindles but the good news is you can sell those spindles once you swap them for the modular and recover some of your money, I say some because the modular system is more expensive.

Last edited by Xeen; 09-11-2015 at 03:33 AM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote