The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #1
South Florida C50

Not as HEAVY as I thought!

Such begins my nightmare of trying to find affordable insurance for my 69
C/50 here in south Florida. I've checked with 4 or5 major companies, everyone knows their names, and they all said "no way" to my pickup conversion. I do not meet the requirements for the more classic companies like Hagertys. I have 2 options left, using my in-laws address who live 100 miles north of me, putting them on my title and using their farm land address as my home base. Registering my C/50 as a farm use vehicle. or.....striking up a deal with Farm Bureau Insurance who will only take the truck as a courtesy to me if I let them insure my primary vehicles and my wife's car. What a crock!
They said they would NOT insure the C/50 as a stand alone vehicle, it was all my cars or nothing. Plus if the truck weighed over 10,000 lbs. the deal was off. Florida law says: any truck weighing over 5,000 lbs. must be registered as a commercial vehicle, I'm OK with that I guess, it just means that I have to buy the tag for that vehicle during the month of Dec. Well to make a long story shorter, I drove it to a very near by truck stop today and had it officially weighed and it came in at a puny....... 6,720 lbs. Here are few pic's of the new rear bumper I installed today along with the mint, vintage original Broward county truck tag I found on eBay for it. My fingers are crossed that I can get this beast insured and tagged in the next 2 weeks or so. So if you take any away from my rambling blah, blah, blah its this; if you have a 67-72 Chevy C/50 that you convert into a pickup that has a 4 speed/split tranny, a 350 small block, an 8 ft. fleet side bed, and your missing a tailgate, your truck should weigh about....6,720 lbs.
Attached Images

South Florida C50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:32 PM   #2
greywuuf

Re: Not as HEAVY as I thought!

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. Only thing I can add is up here the "blue dots" in your tail lights would get you in trouble as well (and yes they watch for them as people have taken to putting LED lights every where ...) And they to quote the passage that states only state recognized emergency vehicles may display blue lights at any time........any color but white or Amber visable from the front earns you a ticket and any color other than Amber or red visable from behind earns you another.
greywuuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:41 AM   #3
South Florida C50

Hey Greywuuf, I just felt like ranting a little when I got home. I had my weekly 100 mile ride home after working on the truck all morning and just got to thinking about all the mechanical obstacles that I have figured out and overcome in the last 11 months since I bought this truck and started this crazy build project, and here I am seeing a little light at the end of the tunnel, and I have hit a snag, which for the first time is something that deals directly with my truck, but is all most out of my control. You know? Oh well, my father always said..... if you throw enough money at it, most of your problems will go away! As for the blue dots, here in Florida, if your car or truck is 25 years or older you are grandfathered in. If your newer than 25 yrs. it's most definitely a ticket from your local LEO! They said any motorcycle of any year can run blue dots here in Florida. I think they are coolest looking tail lights at night, super bright.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:02 AM   #4
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida C50 View Post
using my in-laws address who live 100 miles north of me, putting them on my title and using their farm land address as my home base.
Two major problems you've got with that option:

First, your drivers license and registration have to have the same address or it's a ticket. (I lived in Ft Laud for several years)

Second, don't lie to your insurance company. My brother-in-law who also lived in Ft Laud with the ridiculous high insurance rates tried the same thing, registering in Ft Myers. He was talking to an attorney at a party and mentioned it to him. The attorney had some good advise for him. He said, you may get away with it for years with no problem, but if you have a serious accident possibly with a fatality, and there's a million dollar lawsuit against you, your insurance company is gonna start checking you out. If they find out that you lied on your application in ANY WAY they have the right to drop you like a hot potato and you're on your own with the lawsuit.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:17 PM   #5
Swiftshifter68

^^^ Agree with above. We've all had a friend/neighbor who's had to deal with an insurance company via car accident. Even if the lawsuit were $50K, that's PLENTY for me to reconsider how forthright I am with my insurance company! Haha! On a brighter note, if your company's got all your info', they can focus their attention on the OTHER driver and maybe get you paid that much sooner. That's usually the biggest pain, going withOUT a vehicle and having a delayed reimbursement for it, can often be months. Good to hear about the weight, I'd always been reading 10,000lbs, 12,000lbs, more.
Swiftshifter68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #6
South Florida C50

63 & 64 Bowties, I think you miss read what I wrote,,,, I'm not lying to the insurance company in any way that I can see, I said, "I have 2 options left, using my in-laws address who live 100 miles north of me, (putting them on my title) and using their farm land address as my home base. Registering my C/50 as a farm use vehicle". It is not illegal in any state to be pulled over driving someone's vehicle that you are borrowing, your drivers license doesn't have to match the registration of the vehicle you are driving, like your work truck or a rent a car,.... etc. Your responsible for your actions while driving, but not for the ownership of the vehicle. As long as it has not been reported stolen, I think your good to go. Do you still not understand what I was trying to say?

Last edited by South Florida C50; 11-10-2015 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Grammer