The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Alternative to BFG All Terraine?

Is there a good alternative to BFG All Terrain 33x12.5x15's. Something that's still a decent tire, but maybe save some money on?
Old 11-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: Alternative to BFG All Terraine?

There are a few, but only one that I would consider if saving money is a goal -- General Grabber AT2. I have not owned 'em (yet) but most owners usually speak pretty highly of them.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 07:05 PM   #3
Orange Crate

The last set of BFG ATs that I had, I got 65,000 miles out of them. I bought five and rotated them about every 5000 miles. I don't know what mileage you can get from the General Grabbers, maybe someone else has input on their set.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:10 PM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I love the All Terrains, I'm just floating some numbers around in my head ... is it worth the savings of a couple hundred bucks to get something else (or in my mind) just go with the best.

Ill take a look at the General Grabbers .... oof, those things are over three hundred bucks each at Tire Rack, lol no savings there ... LIttle more research, don't buy tires at Tire Rack, even the BFGs are ridiculous there.

Weird, you look both up another way and they are much cheaper via Tire Rack.

Last edited by CG; 11-15-2015 at 09:22 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:58 PM   #5
DarkFlounder

I got my BFG AT T/A KO2s from America's Tire (Discount Tire outside of CA) for about $260 each (35x12.5x16). Pretty reasonable for that size of tire, and I like how they look.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:04 AM   #6
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I love the All Terrains, I'm just floating some numbers around in my head ... is it worth the savings of a couple hundred bucks to get something else (or in my mind) just go with the best.

Ill take a look at the General Grabbers .... oof, those things are over three hundred bucks each at Tire Rack, lol no savings there ... LIttle more research, don't buy tires at Tire Rack, even the BFGs are ridiculous there.

Weird, you look both up another way and they are much cheaper via Tire Rack.
Tire Rack showed me BFG KO2s at $195 each, Generals at $151 each.... plus shipping. Discount Tire (America's Tire) was same for KO2s, and $185 for the older KO tire, and they don't charge shipping to your nearest store.

I don't know but I suspect the Generals may not last as long as BFGs. One thing to consider with cheaper tires is if they wear out sooner, you'll replace them sooner, so actual savings fly out the window. Especially when you add more frequent mounting & balancing costs.

Since you seem to prefer BFGs (as do I -- they are on my K20), I would say stick with them rather than taking a chance just to save a few bucks. If you had no real preference and money was tight, I would try the Generals.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 11-16-2015, 12:28 AM   #7
Bladeboy1998

I must have a dud set of bfg all terrains, god I hate these tires! I mean I really hate them they have sucked in rain, in stone, and mud the tread never clears out for me. They always slipped in the rain, even brand new. And my buddy put them on his fj to try them and sold the truck with them on, and when he bought his tundra those were the tires on it. He hates them too, he has had the same experience as me. Another buddy just put some ko2s on his powerstroke and they slip like no tomorrow in everything. But I know a guy who just put a full set of ko2s on his cummins and he loves them. I know after my set is done I won't be buying another set.

Last edited by Bladeboy1998; 11-16-2015 at 12:49 AM.
Bladeboy1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:37 AM   #8
ERASER5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeboy1998 View Post
I must have had a dud set of bfg all terrains, god I hate these tires! I mean I really hate them they have sucked in rain, in stone, and mud the tread never clears out for me. They always slipped in the rain, even brand new. And my buddy put them on his fj to try them and sold the truck with them on, and when he bought his tundra those were the tires on it. He hates them too, he has had the same experience as me. Another buddy just put some ko2s on his powerstroke and they slip like no tomorrow in everything. But I know a guy who just put a full set of ko2s on his cummins and he loves them. I know after my set is done I won't be buying another set.
Too much air. All of mine grab on any surface, but I only run 35lbs or so. Before I haul a heavy load, I air up, but let it out afterwards.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:44 AM   #9
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

As I posted above, I like my KOs. But I'll say they are not a good mud tire, and many others agree. There are plenty of decent mudders out there, including ones made by BFG. Nobody expects KOs to perform well in mud.

One thing about tire threads.... everyone has opinions.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 11-16-2015, 12:46 AM   #10
Bladeboy1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
Too much air. All of mine grab on any surface, but I only run 35lbs or so. Before I haul a heavy load, I air up, but let it out afterwards.
Really? 35 seems a little low for a 3/4 ton truck, I know I wouldn't tow with that low of a pressure, but still. I will have to give it a try though. Mine are done with though, I'm moving on to some michelin ltx at2s, can't wait!
Old 11-16-2015, 12:48 AM   #11
Bladeboy1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
As I posted above, I like my KOs. But I'll say they are not a good mud tire, and many others agree. There are plenty of decent mudders out there, including ones made by BFG. Nobody expects KOs to perform well in mud.

One thing about tire threads.... everyone has opinions.
I don't mean anything over 2 inches of mud, I don't mud my trucks. I mean what is at the end of my driveway after a heavy rain, lol my old accord would make it through there no problem, lol
Old 11-16-2015, 01:03 AM   #12
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I saw after hitting the Tire Rack site a different way the prices were much better .. weird!

I like the All Terrains, I've never used them to get crazy off road (not my thing). Just general all around usage. They've got me out of a couple of binds a few times, and they run great on the street,

Just doing some general pricing info on things, not pulling any triggers any time soon.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #13
OLDCHEV4X4

Im on my second set of General Grabbers AT2 10 ply. Love them. Plow snow, Haul wood, etc. And cheaper than the BFG's. I got them from tyerbuyer.
72 custom/10 8' bed
70 K/5 Blazer
67 C-30 GMC Flat bed
86 GMC K2500 Plow Truck
85 GMC K3500
84 M1008
85 M1008
77 G30 Motor Home
72 Sears 12hp Tractor
Glenmoore, Pennsylvania
OLDCHEV4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:13 PM   #14
95 S_Trucker

I have had the ko, grabber at2, and now am on the ko2. All on the same truck(99 K2500). All are great tires. The generals didn't last quite as long. I would have stayed with the the generals, but the ko2 was improved and is supposed to do better in the snow. I figured I'll give it a whirl this year and see how it goes. There's a plow on my truck.

I have grabbers on the blazer too.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:48 PM   #15
dieseldawg142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeboy1998 View Post
Really? 35 seems a little low for a 3/4 ton truck, I know I wouldn't tow with that low of a pressure, but still.
35 is not a bad pressure, with my camper on & quad hauler hooked up, i run 35 in my K30 crew with 38's, never had a prob, does'nt shake the heck out of the camper either...

pretty tuff to beat BFG's for longivity. had the orig all terrains on my dd for 10 yrs, then gave them to my buddy & he ran them for another 4 or 5. replaced them with ORIG BF mud terrains, & this is their 15th yr & i still got tons of tread left. to heck with date codes, i was just out in the bush again today, traction & tuffness, not a problem. you will save money down the road. and yeah, all terrains are not the greatest in mud, found them quite good on ice & snow though
my nephew has grabbers on his '08 silverado, so far they have lasted him 3 yrs, but he BEATS on his truck & tires....
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #16
ERASER5

My first set of BFGs was on my Durango. No real heavy loads there. I got 80K out of them. The new ones are barely worn.

The F250 has about 20K on the BFGs so far. Mostly the truck is unloaded so I run the pressure down to 35 or so. The truck just beats the crap out of you with the tires at 50 pisg. When I go to haul a load of water or gravel or wood, I air up to 50 psig. It only take one trip to remind me to drop the air pressure afterwards.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:22 PM   #17
Twin Turbo Skylark

Goodyear Duratracs are great, may not be less money but I like them
Twin Turbo Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:14 AM   #18
Chevy_mud_truck

I run a 285 bfg all terrain on my 04 1500 Silverado could not ask for a better tire in the snow wouldn't run anything else on it but I've never got more then 44/45k out of a set I would love to get 65+ miles out of a set
Chevy_mud_truck is offline   Reply With Quote