The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2015, 07:09 PM   #1
jpnc

No oil in the top of the engine

I have a 1988 TBI 305. I looked inside the valve cover and it's not oiling ( just where you put the oil in at) .I haven't taken the valve cover off yet. I can see the push rod and rocker arm and No oil is coming out. I have 60-65 lbs. of oil pressure when I start it and 60 lbs when I drive it. Idles around 20 lbs.

It has 168,000 miles on the engine. It runs good. I'm thinking a cam bearing may be the problem! I have too much money in the truck to rebuild it.

Any ideas or what should I check ? The lifters are not making a loud noise yet. I'm scared too drive it. I don't think the strainer is stopped up. I drained the oil and spray 2 bottles of throttle body cleaner in the drain plug. Hoping too break up any build up on the strainer. I would like too keep the truck if I could fix it real cheap!

Thanks for any help!
jpnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #2
nixrox

Re: No oil in the top of the engine

I would not worry about seeing any oil flowing through the oil fill hole on the valve cover.

Unless you have a video probe you cannot possibly see the oil flowing up your push rods, down over your rocker arms, on to the springs and valves. You would have to take a valve cover off to see anything. If you have decent oil pressure (and you do) and nothing else seems to be wrong - why look for trouble when none is there?
nixrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:36 PM   #3
jpnc

Re: No oil in the top of the engine

Thank you Nixrox
jpnc is offline   Reply With Quote