The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
samples45

3rd set of doors still not right..

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  36.5 KB
samples45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
samples45

Re: 3rd set of doors still not right..

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  33.3 KB
Old 02-24-2016, 07:55 PM   #3
samples45

Sorry they are sideways I'm on my phone.. But I have new hinges. I have drilled out the holes and I have adjusted a million times
Old 02-24-2016, 11:28 PM   #4
ndeep

I have had simular problems, originaly rebuilt the oe hinges but doors fit poorly . then i replaced the hinges and they fit much worse.highly suggest you rebuild your original hinges, then start adjusting,bending,grinding,and welding to make it fit
ndeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:11 AM   #5
chopit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndeep View Post
I have had simular problems, originaly rebuilt the oe hinges but doors fit poorly . then i replaced the hinges and they fit much worse.highly suggest you rebuild your original hinges, then start adjusting,bending,grinding,and welding to make it fit
The new hinges giving lot of guys trouble. Third set of doors ya gotta start thinking its not the doors...
chopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:17 AM   #6
samples45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndeep View Post
Don't have oe hinges..
Old 02-25-2016, 12:18 AM   #7
samples45

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopit View Post
The new hinges giving lot of guys trouble. Third set of doors ya gotta start thinking its not the doors...

Yeah I hear ya lol idk what I can do to the hinges..
Old 02-25-2016, 01:48 AM   #8
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

looks to me that your to far in at the front and to far out at the bottom back and possibly your corner is not where is should be. Take the hinge off and bend it in a vise and try again, Don't try to bend it in the door you'll just buckle the panels and the other hinge will be out of whack.

Look at the door curve and the cab corner curve, You may have issues there or it may just be the picture

Hinges will only fix some of the problems I see. Did you do a door bottom on this door?
Attached Images

dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:31 AM   #9
samples45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
looks to me that your to far in at the front and to far out at the bottom back and possibly your corner is not where is should be. Take the hinge off and bend it in a vise and try again, Don't try to bend it in the door you'll just buckle the panels and the other hinge will be out of whack.

Look at the door curve and the cab corner curve, You may have issues there or it may just be the picture

Hinges will only fix some of the problems I see. Did you do a door bottom on this door?
No, this is a original door no patches and no rust!
Old 02-25-2016, 02:33 AM   #10
samples45

Quote:

How would I go about bending the hinges? And what else should I try to fix the bad spots you have pointed out?
Old 02-25-2016, 02:53 AM   #11
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I take the top hinge off put it in a vise and heat and bend the U part of the hinge. Start with the top hinge and try the fit afterwards. get the top and front at the windshield looking ok then look at the lower hinge if you need to. Then worry about the lower back side of the door
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:13 AM   #12
55dude

these truck have been twisting for 60 years and the fitment never was a lexus! just start bending and shimming until they fit!
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:56 AM   #13
samples45

Quote:
I take the top hinge off put it in a vise and heat and bend the U part of the hinge. Start with the top hinge and try the fit afterwards. get the top and front at the windshield looking ok then look at the lower hinge if you need to. Then worry about the lower back side of the door
Okay cool, I'll give it a try..
Old 02-25-2016, 10:57 AM   #14
samples45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55dude View Post
these truck have been twisting for 60 years and the fitment never was a lexus! just start bending and shimming until they fit!
I'm gonna try! I'm gonna take it somewhere if I can't fix it lol
Old 02-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #15
MARTINSR

The first thing I have to say is an old rule of mine.

"Fix what's wrong to fit what is right, don't fix what is right to fit what is wrong!"

You have replaced the patch on the cab corner, a nice rust free original door doesn't fit it....um........doesn't that tell you something?

Study the door with the other side, lay a straight edge on the door exactly the same on both sides and measure the distance at the bottom of the doors to the straight edge, does it match?

Do the same on the cab corner, does it match?

Some times you have to modify the easiest thing to modify obviously but in this case making that door fit there makes no sense to me because it's not about the "alignment" of the door, it's about the SHAPE of the door not fitting the now incorrect shape of the cab!

You need to not look for an easy fix, you need to go back and look at what you did with the cab, sorry.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:40 PM   #16
MARTINSR

Looking at that photo a little I can tell you the door does need to go UP, front and back. get it up. Then you can move the top front out to bring in that lower rear.

These hinges don't allow for a lot of movement but if you remove bolts and clean up stuff and make the hinge slide around easy you can then get a lot more out of it. Loosen the bolts hinge to cab and the bolts to hinge to door if you have to when you push it up. This is very seldom done when aligning a door. But if you can't get what you need with just the hinge to cab OR the hinge to door, sometimes you need to loosen them all because they could be binding on the door with one hinge up and one low or something like that which would limit how much the hinges on the cab can move.

But try loosing just the hinge to cab and then try the hinge to door before loosing all at the same time.

On moving the top out, there is a hole deep down in the hinge that you use for that.

This is a 55 passenger car hinge, the AD truck doesn't have a bolt down in there, but it has the holes! On your's I forget, haven't worked on one in years. But I have to assume there is at least that hole. You can put a bolt in there which will then allow you to move the door in and out at the front. Remember, the location of the hinge PIN is what determanes how the door fits, not necessary where the hinge is bolted at the jamb, if that makes any sense. So the hinge can be out as far as it will go on the cab, but in there the pin is way inside that cowl. If you move the front of the hinge out the door moves out a like amount! You then put a bolt in that hole (if there isn't one already) and tighten it up to hold that pin out there.

But moving the top of the door out leaving the bottom hinge as is will bring in the bottom rear.

There is no reason what so ever to be getting another door, you just adjust this one and repair the cab corner is need be to make this door fit like a champ.

Brian

Old 02-25-2016, 01:56 PM   #17
MARTINSR

Understand me that the door shape may be funky at the bottom a little, but you can't just say it is, you need to research it a bit and match up side to side as far as the door and the cab both. Adjust the door as best as you can, then start looking at that fit and go from there.

Brian

Old 02-25-2016, 05:09 PM   #18
dsraven

are you getting ALL the hinge bolts loosened off, not just the 2 per hinge that you can see when you open the door? check the contour of the doors against the contour of the extra doors and if they are close to the same then, like martinsr says, you gotta think the problem may lie with the contour of the cab.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:44 PM   #19
Task Force Era

Man this is all to familiar. I fought my doors for days and weeks to get em right. Then sadly had to take them back off to do rust repair and body work. I feel your pain! Good luck!
Task Force Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:21 PM   #20
57chevyman

i had the same issue with my door... have you tried adjusting the position of the striker plate? it wont completely fix your problem, but i think you can cut that gap in half by adjusting the striker plate. it made a huge difference with my door. my drivers side was very worn, so i got a new one
Attached Images

1957 Chevy 3100
2000 Silverado z71 SOLD
2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
1992 International 4700
57chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:29 PM   #21
MARTINSR

You should not make a striker change how a door fits. In fact, you should have no striker when aligning the door or hood or trunk. The striker holds it shut, that is all it should be doing.

If you are making a striker pull the door up or down to align it you are seriously beating up on your latch and striker.

Brian

Old 02-26-2016, 10:05 AM   #22
samples45

Martin- I was thinking the cab corner was messed up to and it may be a little but I don't know how a cab corner would make the front of the door suck in at the a piller.. I took the hinges off and placed the door in the frame to see what it looked like and of course it's perfect. So if I can get the door flush with the cab all the way around and the body lines straight that tells me it's not a cab issue or door it's in the hinges.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:06 AM   #23
samples45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Task Force Era View Post
Man this is all to familiar. I fought my doors for days and weeks to get em right. Then sadly had to take them back off to do rust repair and body work. I feel your pain! Good luck!
Yeah that's what I was thinking about lol
Old 02-26-2016, 10:06 AM   #24
samples45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57chevyman View Post
i had the same issue with my door... have you tried adjusting the position of the striker plate? it wont completely fix your problem, but i think you can cut that gap in half by adjusting the striker plate. it made a huge difference with my door. my drivers side was very worn, so i got a new one

I have the bear claw latches and have not installed them yet. I do wanna get the door adjusted before installing them
Old 02-26-2016, 11:19 AM   #25
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by samples45 View Post
Martin- I was thinking the cab corner was messed up to and it may be a little but I don't know how a cab corner would make the front of the door suck in at the a piller.. I took the hinges off and placed the door in the frame to see what it looked like and of course it's perfect. So if I can get the door flush with the cab all the way around and the body lines straight that tells me it's not a cab issue or door it's in the hinges.
Right on, follow what I wrote on aligning it and you should be able to get it.

Brian