The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2003, 01:17 PM   #1
wade

elec fan-hp-gasmileage-edelbrock carb

hi guys, does anyone have any thoughts on these items

iam thinking of either installing an electric rad fan or fan clutch on my 72 1500, or a flex fan. Iam looking for some increase in gas mileage and decrease in wind noise from the stock fan. I have been told that the stock fan can use up to 15-20 hp to drive at 5000 rpm. is this mod worth it? if so what size elec fan and where can I get one.

Iam also curious if anyone knows what the approx factory horse power was on the 1972 gmc 1500 with the 350 4 bbl carb?
I have a edelbrock intake and edelbrock 1405 carb, how much diff would that make?

I am considering installing 3 point seat belts, i have read most previous threads on this, but am wondering where exactly you mount the third point,or the shoulder portion. my 72 has what appears to be some plugs in the upper cab corner, is this where they would go?
there has been some mention that the edelbrock 1405 runs rich out of the box {manual chock} my truck does run great does not blow any black smoke, but it does seem to smell a little rich now and then. i also live at an altitude of 3500 asl, which would contribute to a richer mixture, what is the best way to tell if you are running rich? and if so, where are the metering rods at, how to change, and where to get.

lastly, what kind of fuel mileage can i expect out of this truck?
iam getting around 13 mpg but thats a canadian gallon which is
.75 of a litre larger then the us gallon, if around 13mpg per us gallon is kind of the standard, that means i should be getting around 15 or 16 on the canadian gallon, what is the best mileage this truck can get? once again, its a 350 4bbl 350 transmission,
iam thinking stock 307 gears but iam not sure 1500 gmc super custom 1/2 ton

thanks!!!!!!!
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 01:46 PM   #2
mindhive

Edelbrock has calibration procedures online at this link your jets and metering rods will be determined by your alt. Scroll down till you find the section on High Altitude the scroll down further for the cal charts for your carb. Hope this helps.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/eps_sect2.html
mindhive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 01:53 PM   #3
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

A '72 stock 350 was rated at 175 net HP and 280 ft. lbs. or torque.

The intake might give you 10hp....it is more of a factory replacement than a high performance manifold. Great for a mostly stock motor though. The carb shouldn't make any difference in power compared to a Q-jet in good working order. However, they are much easier to deal with than a Q-jet, and are a great upgrade. I would reccomend a 1406 for your application, because of the electric choke. It is much easier to start in the morning. Also, the 1405 is jetted richer than the 1406. The 1406 is usually jetted about perfect for a stock 350, so you may have to lighten up the 1405 if you use it, but it is very easy to do, and only takes about 5 minutes

Pry off the caps near your cab roof, and there is already a nice threaded insert pre installed so you can attach your 3 point seatbelts.

13mpg is proably about the best you will get out of that truck. If you tune it real good, and drive with a light foot, 15 might be possible.

There are 2 other great upgrades for power and mileage. Put in a HEI distributor if you have points right now, and re curve it with an adjustable vaccum advance kit and a mechanical advance spring kit.
Then put on a set of headers and 2-1/4" free flowing dual exhaust pipes and mufflers. The truck will run alot better, and get better mileage if you keep your foot out of it.

Good luck!
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 02:32 PM   #4
oldsub86

An overdrive transmission will help some on longer trips. A 700R4 may be in your future.