The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2016, 12:22 AM   #1
Ctinman

4L80e problems

I have bee doing a 6.0 LQ4/4l80 swap on my 70 c10. This is my first ls swap so it's been a huge learning experience for me. Anyway, I now have the truck running again and went to drive it and the 4l80 is acting up. It goes into reverse and drive fine but when you start moving it shifts very quickly(as in it is shifts into second when you are just idleing along) and when it does the engine tries to stall. I haven't driven it very far but I'm pretty sure it isn't shifting past second either. And if you put the shift lever down in first, it starts in first but still shifts to second very quickly. A little background, it is a freshly rebuilt tranny, I have filled it to the proper level, and it has no obvious leaks. I purchased it from the same vendor I purchased the engine, and wiring harness/pcm from. The pcm was supposed to already be programmed to run this engine and tranny. The check engine light came on and I had a P0740 code. From everything I see when I search this code, it looks like this should not be active with a 4L80e. That seems to me like it should be impossible to get this code if the computer is programmed correctly. Is this correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm just trying to figure out what my next step should be in figuring out the issue.
Ctinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:05 AM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: 4L80e problems

Holler at member Clinebarger, he is the resident Tranny guru.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:43 AM   #3
Custom 68

check this thread out. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=4l80e
This is something you will need to check inside the tune if you can or have your tuner check it. These transmissions are electronically controlled so they must have the correct speed input.
As noted in my other thread my speedo worked correctly however the one I circled is what the trans uses.
look these over if that is not it then I will look more.
There is also "limp" mode but I would check here first. Mine was doing the same thing however when it shifted so early my TC was loose enough it almost wouldnt pull itself.
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:44 PM   #4
Ctinman

Thanks for the replys. I talked to the place that programmed my ecu and they looked at my file and discovered that they had a 4l60 tune in it instead of a 4l80. So I'm sending them the ecu to reprogram it. Should fix the problem I hope, keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
Custom 68

Yes it will or should anyway. I am sure they know what they are doing but there is what they call a segment swap in HP tuners. If they are going to use the same tune they will need to do this swap. I am sure they have done lots.
In addition to that did you use a wiring harness for the 4l80e, they are different than the 4l60e.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:03 AM   #6
Ctinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom 68 View Post
Yes it will or should anyway. I am sure they know what they are doing but there is what they call a segment swap in HP tuners. If they are going to use the same tune they will need to do this swap. I am sure they have done lots.
In addition to that did you use a wiring harness for the 4l80e, they are different than the 4l60e.
Yes, I am using a 6 liter 4l80 harness. Can't wait to get the ecu back and drive the truck. I've been working on it all year. Thank you for the help. I'll be sure to let you know if this fixes the problem.