The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2016, 08:03 PM   #1
gizmoduck81

Heater Motor for 60-63 Standard/Recirculating Heater

I need to replace my heater motor in my 1963 GMC with standard/recirculating heat. Is the motor accessible without removing the core? Or do I need to plan on draining the radiator just to replace the motor? I found tons of info on the deluxe heaters on this site, but almost no info on the standard.

Thanks,

Ryan
gizmoduck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:12 PM   #2
chevy49

Re: Heater Motor for 60-63 Standard/Recirculating Heater

if it is like my 65 you can change it just the wire and I think 6 or 7 hex head screws simple job
chevy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:44 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

With the recirculating heater you should be able to replace the fan motor without disconnecting any heater hoses. However it might help to remove the glove box for better access.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:05 AM   #4
gizmoduck81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
With the recirculating heater you should be able to replace the fan motor without disconnecting any heater hoses. However it might help to remove the glove box for better access.
Well I tried this evening with no luck. The motor hits the dash (black piece above the motor in the picture) so I can't pull it out. Unless I'm missing something, I can't remove the box the motor is bolted to without also removing the core. I'll try again when I have more daylight so I can drain the radiator. If after I go to all that trouble I find I could have removed without removing the core, I'll post some pictures and instructions. Also, just a note that the original has only one wire (hooks to a button/tab on the side of the motor housing) but my replacement has two, an orange power wire and a black ground wire.

That other thick black cable is the antenna that currently isn't hooked up. It's wrapped around to prevent rattling.

Thanks,

Ryan
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2016, 12:31 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Sorry for the bad info. It has been a very long time since I have done anything with a recirculating heater and did not remember them being that close to the channel in the inside of the cab. You won't have to remove the core. Once you disconnect the hoses and cables, just unbolt it from the firewall and the whole heater comes out as a unit.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:51 PM   #6
gizmoduck81

No worries, all info helps. Now for a stupid question: If the engine has been sitting for over 24 hours, will the radiator fluid have settled below the heater core hoses, so I don't have to drain the radiator? Or is it always full? Not a big deal to drain and re-fill, but I'm hoping I can save some time/hassle.

Thanks again!
Old 11-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #7
61K10

Just get some vice-grips (long nose would be best) and clamp on to your heater hoses. No need to drain the rad. Also you might be able to slide the heater unir back a little after um bolting it from the firewall. Might just give you enough clearance to pull the motor and fan cage.

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote