The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2018, 01:21 PM   #1
short71

06 GTO alternator and brackets

I have been gathering all my parts and reading everything I can before my swap starts in a couple weeks. I have an 06 GTO ls2 with transmission. Going into a 71 c10 swb. When ordering mounts they say they do not clear the lower alternator bracket? Question is can I modify the mounts to move it slightly? Do I have to get a bracket to move to the top? And if so is there a cost effective mount? Also is the spacing on the GTO assembly the same as the Corvette or is it different? Or is it a matter of notching to make it fit?.. so far I think I have figured out a lot of it but I'm sure I'll have more questions as the swap gets started. Thanks for all the help this group has been so far by posting!
short71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:51 PM   #2
71cadc10

Re: 06 GTO alternator and brackets

the spacing is same as 4th gen Fbody, not corvette.

I'm doing the same type of thing...06 gto engine /t56 and harness going in.
I'm struggling with the alt now..it won't clear the engine mounts down low driver side where the stock bracket puts it. If you are willing to fab up your own engine mount/stand on the driver side I'm sure something can be made to work.

I'm planning to run truck pulley and front accessory setup, since I have both them and the GTO...mount a truck alt up high driver side. converting to 1 wire hookup on a truck alt.
The 06 computer is E40 and has alt control in the PCM...so the GTO alt is a fairly uncommon piece.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:30 PM   #3
Ghost's68

I’m running the CPP stands and DD sliders with my swap. A lot of people had issues with the Camaro low mount Alt not working. I had no issues, I gen bought the Holley Alt relocation kit thinking I would have to go that route. But to my surprise mine tucked in nice into the frame rails.

Ghost's68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:52 PM   #4
71cadc10

Ghost, to clarify from looking at your pic, that is a gen V camaro alt and bracket looks like 2010+ or is it 4th gen stuff ?
Old 03-25-2018, 10:41 PM   #5
dayj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by short71 View Post
I have been gathering all my parts and reading everything I can before my swap starts in a couple weeks. I have an 06 GTO ls2 with transmission. Going into a 71 c10 swb. When ordering mounts they say they do not clear the lower alternator bracket? Question is can I modify the mounts to move it slightly? Do I have to get a bracket to move to the top? And if so is there a cost effective mount? Also is the spacing on the GTO assembly the same as the Corvette or is it different? Or is it a matter of notching to make it fit?.. so far I think I have figured out a lot of it but I'm sure I'll have more questions as the swap gets started. Thanks for all the help this group has been so far by posting!
I used a camaro/gto low mount alternator bracket on a 4.8 swap into a 72 c10 with no clearance issues. I just used adapter plates on stock v8 towers. I made my own adapter plates on that one, but they're not unlike generic adapters available on ebay and the like.
Attached Images

dayj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:22 PM   #6
short71

Thank you guys. I'll post up what I had to do to get it in. Looking like I'll test fit and go from there.
short71 is offline   Reply With Quote