The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2018, 08:18 AM   #1
mpalmer03

Door Window alignment

Any tips on realigning the window/window channel on '69 to center it in the door? Installing new rubber window wipers that clip in on top of door but the window is not centered in the opening, therefore, the window won't go up & down smoothly without rolling the rubber every time. Thanks
mpalmer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Door Window alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmer03 View Post
Any tips on realigning the window/window channel on '69 to center it in the door? Installing new rubber window wipers that clip in on top of door but the window is not centered in the opening, therefore, the window won't go up & down smoothly without rolling the rubber every time. Thanks

Did you also replace the window channel all the way around the window? That is what keeps the window centered. If the felt channel is worn out the window will not center itself. The only other thing that could affect alignment is that one of the rollers on the window regulator is not in the track correctly, but that usually makes the window roll up cockeyed. There are two rollers that fit into the track on the bottom glass channel and one roller that fits into a track on the inside of the door panel. (see picture with track labeled in red)

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-24-2018 at 09:05 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:15 AM   #3
slikside

Sub'd.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:29 PM   #4
bcfishon

Sometimes the metal plate roller guide thingy on the bottom of the window is off center and will cause the window to be too far forward or back causing the window to pinch when going up and often it's the worst coming down.
bcfishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #5
mpalmer03

Thanks for the replies on my door issue, including the schematic. Sorry for the delayed response. The issue looks to be the divider bar for vent window. It isn't centered in the window slot and the window is too tight up against the inside of door instead of being centered. This is putting too much pressure on one side resulting in the rubber wiper to fold up and down as window is rolled up/down. Is there a way to center the divider bar so window is equidistant in slot?
Old 04-27-2018, 09:32 AM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Thanks for the replies on my door issue, including the schematic. Sorry for the delayed response. The issue looks to be the divider bar for vent window. It isn't centered in the window slot and the window is too tight up against the inside of door instead of being centered. This is putting too much pressure on one side resulting in the rubber wiper to fold up and down as window is rolled up/down. Is there a way to center the divider bar so window is equidistant in slot?
As long as the vent window has the 3 screws through the door frame into the vent frame and the two screws through the inner door into the bottom of the vent window channel it is a fixed window, there is no adjustment. As I mentioned before the felt window channel provides the alignment. If it is bad or the window is not in the channel correctly it could cause the problem you are seeing. Looks like you will have to remove the inside door panel and check everything out. Take some pictures and post them up so we can see if anything looks out of place......

LockDoc

-
Old 04-27-2018, 09:37 AM   #7
mpalmer03

Ok, will have to look a little deeper. I have replaced the felt channel as well which I understand it's function. It's out of position just like the divider bar is. Will revisit when I get it apart. Thanks again
Old 04-27-2018, 10:13 AM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Ok, will have to look a little deeper. I have replaced the felt channel as well which I understand it's function. It's out of position just like the divider bar is. Will revisit when I get it apart. Thanks again
Check and make sure the two screws (figure "A") are there and tight....

Picture borrowed from member Toddtheodd's post.

LockDoc
Attached Images

-
Old 04-30-2018, 09:32 PM   #9
mpalmer03

Leon- thanks for the last photo with tips on where to look on the door. As it turns out, I was missing one of the two screws that secure the bottom of the divider bar inside door like you mentioned. Unfortunately, that wasn't the problem as I need to push the bar in outside direction of door (window is off center towards inside opening of door. I also learned today, and I'm embarrassed to admit that I was trying to mount two rubber door wipers in clips on both sides of window. I had not opened the other two which were the felt ones...duh. Was told that the felt goes on inside and wiper goes on outside. Once I center the window better by adding a couple washers on bottom of divider bar, should be all set. Amazing how much easier they are going up and down already! Guess I need to open up all my goodies before sounding alarm. Thanks again for the amazing insight
Old 04-30-2018, 10:14 PM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Leon- thanks for the last photo with tips on where to look on the door. As it turns out, I was missing one of the two screws that secure the bottom of the divider bar inside door like you mentioned. Unfortunately, that wasn't the problem as I need to push the bar in outside direction of door (window is off center towards inside opening of door. I also learned today, and I'm embarrassed to admit that I was trying to mount two rubber door wipers in clips on both sides of window. I had not opened the other two which were the felt ones...duh. Was told that the felt goes on inside and wiper goes on outside. Once I center the window better by adding a couple washers on bottom of divider bar, should be all set. Amazing how much easier they are going up and down already! Guess I need to open up all my goodies before sounding alarm. Thanks again for the amazing insight

No problem, glad you have it sorted out. That's how we all learn.

LockDoc

-