The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2018, 04:33 PM   #1
C101971

Keyless push button start

I came up with the great idea of a push button start but keyless. In theory a smiple task but for the life of me can't find out what all the wires do. I forgot to take a picture of the back of the ignition to see where the wires originally went so now I'm lost. I have a push button with 2 terminals, one side power and the other the starter. I also have an accessory switch but the truck only starts when all the wires are touching. I have no idea what does what and I don't want to fry something. My truck is a 1971 GMC c15 with dash ignition
C101971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:56 PM   #2
bill3rail

Re: Keyless push button start

Interesting idea. I believe you may require at least an on/off switch to power up what needs power to start. Someone will be along to add in more technical advice.

Bill
Old 09-01-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
C101971

I have a red power wire
Purple starter wire
Thick black wire
Thick pink wire
Thin black and white stripe wire (I think resistance wire)
Thin brown wire
Thin green wire (I'm assuming ground)
Thin brown wire

Right now I have power wired to push button then to starter wire

And a pigtail from the power wire to the rest of the thick black, thin black and white, and thick pink wire. The brown I do not have wired and the green is grounded.

The truck started up and ran but I am unsure if the wiring is correct
Old 09-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
cable666guy

Where did your switch come from ? Did you get from an existing vehicle or is it something you bought aftermarket ?
cable666guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:09 PM   #5
C101971

Quote:
Originally Posted by cable666guy View Post
Where did your switch come from ? Did you get from an existing vehicle or is it something you bought aftermarket ?
Bought it aftermarket, just a 60amp push button and a toggle switch
Old 09-01-2018, 10:45 PM   #6
weq92f

My current driver push button start car has some interesting quirks. It's a fly-by-wire system though, so the quirks are inherent and most likely not going to affect your plans in the least but... worth a go.

Upon start, the button doesn't care if you hold it down or not, but you must put your foot on the brake pedal or it will do nothing. Once pushed the car will start or not start and you can sit there with your finger on the button or not. It's an intelligent start, not requiring the user to decide when to kill the starter.

If the car doesn't start, the starter will disengage after a "long" crank, which might be 4 seconds or so. Depends if there have been previously logged "long" cranks. If system errors pop up, that will also kill the starter.

The button is used to also turn the engine off. It's immediate if conditions merit ( in Park or Neutral, not moving, brake on ) but there's a delay if the car is moving, presumably to ensure against accidental button pushes. Once you've held the button past this delay period, releasing it turns the engine off. In this scenario, the only option allowed is to restart the engine until the car is stopped.

Once the engine is off, accessories remain on however and so another button push turns them off.

I know there are board members that can build code into circuit boards to do things with various inputs from sensors. Imagine a future where we all get together and build this push-button start package that does some cool things like the above with just some honest engineering, cool code, a few sensors to help the button know whats up and BANG! we've got something we can market to the folks at the big enthusiast events.

OK, Meeting next week people, and bring the PTS reports this time!

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote