The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2003, 12:43 AM   #1
bigstoys
*PIMP*

Question yet another "how do i drop my truck" question

well heres my story. i bought the truck about a month and a half ago and the ride just sucks.... the previous owner heated the original springs and now they sag so bad that they sit on top of each other and everytime i hit the smallest bump in the road it sounds like the frame is about to fall apart. now i like the stance on it but like i said the ride sucks. i was thinking of buying a 3 inch drop springs for the front and a 5 inch drop spring for the rear. i have other projects that my money is going to so i don't want to spend a grand on bags and stuff. i just want a good lowered look but thats safer than what i have now. also can i buy stock size coils and cut them or should i stick to lowering springs. is it safe to drop my truck with coils only and no drop spindles. this is my daily driver while i tear my other toy apart. i usually only drive about 30 miles a day max. benito. oh yeah thanks in advance for the feedbacks.

Old 12-09-2003, 01:50 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

The first thing you need to do is go whack the previous owner for butchering the springs.

You will get lots of different opinions, but here's my thoughts about "how" to lower your truck. If you are looking for the best ride, then use dropped spindles, or dropped lower A-arms with either stock springs, or stock springs with a coil (one or less) cut off, or a lowering spring.

My "opinion" is you will get a better ride this way because the spindle, or A-arm drop is a static drop, and does not effect your ride. That means you can run a stock length spring and a stock length shock, and still be 2-3 inches lower. This equates to a lowered truck with a "stock" ride.

If you add a good quality lowering spring, then you have a 4-5 inch drop, and a "sport truck" ride. This makes your truck ride firm, but not harsh when coupled with a good quality shock.

If your on a budget, I would get the dropped spindle (my preference) and replace the ruined spring with a stock spring that has had 1 coil or less cut.

I have done this a few times, and was very pleased with the results.....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 04:56 AM   #3
bigstoys
*PIMP*

so how much money are we talking about with the drop spindles and stock springs. i only want to spend about 300 or less total. i know where i can find brand new lowering springs for the 3 in front and 5 inch rear but is it safe for the truck. what do you think with just going with that. i can handle a stiff ride i just don't want to here my poor truck srcream for mercy everytime i hit a bump in the road. thanks again. benito
Old 12-09-2003, 10:44 AM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

It sounds like you have already made up your mind to go with the springs. It may ride just fine. I can't say, because I have never done a coil spring rear truck.

If I were on a budget, but needed new springs like you do, I would get a set of used stock springs, cut them and use spindles. That's just my opinion of how it should be done.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:04 PM   #5
sactoC10
71 DELUX

I have stock (one coil removed) front springs with 2.5" drop spindles in the front of my truck and the ride is great. It is a better ride than I've had on any truck ever, lowered or stock.

I think that the spindles are usually between $240-280, so they would definitely take a chunk out of your budget. Yet removing one spring [COIL, not spring...oops] believe it or not, will drop that truck between 2.5-3"...it can be rather shocking at first.

For the rear, of you want to go that low you need to have a rear spring or a spring block combo. Just doing the spring is probably the easiest way top go. Just my humble opinion.

Ditto N2...go whack the PO for not properly caring for his fine piece of GM manufacturing. It has found a better home.

Last edited by sactoC10; 12-09-2003 at 06:52 PM.
sactoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 03:08 PM   #6
sactoC10
71 DELUX

forgot to add this:
Attached Images

sactoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 06:25 PM   #7
bigstoys
*PIMP*

so basically i have made my decision i want to use just the lowering springs. but i was just wondering if there were any other tips or ways of doing this without to much money and too much change to the truck. so just drop coils all the way around is perfectly safe right.???????????? this is my last question i swear. Benito
Old 12-09-2003, 09:15 PM   #8
ShamrockCustoms
Project56 on hold

yes, its safe. if you end up cutting springs, only cut a half-coil at a time. you may have to take it out and cut more, but that is better than cutting and seeing that its too low.....

also, used springs have already "settled" and will stay the same after you finish install.

new springs will settle some. so if you cut and drop it 3", you may end up with 4" or more.......

good luck!!

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS daily driver
1956 Chevy Stepside rodstoration on winter hold
ShamrockCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:41 PM   #9
bigstoys
*PIMP*

well thanks alot boys ill let you know how it turns out. im probably going to buy the lowering springs. ill take pics and post them on my web page. check the page out if you get a chance.: http://members.cardomain.com/bigstoys
Old 12-09-2003, 10:51 PM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

bigstoys, before you make up your mind on those 3" springs, take a look hereRead this It seems sometimes the cheaperr route isn't always the cheapest...
Old 12-10-2003, 02:19 AM   #11
64Burby

Well one thing i am going to throw in, is our previous owner heattreated and cut the springs in our 64 burb. Handled terrible!! We got stock height front springs, rebuilt front suspension, and added a 1 1/4" Sway bar. That bar was the biggest difference (we did things one @ a time). We just ordered the disc brake kit with 2.5 drop spindles, and 3" rear drop springs. The truck already handles awesome and we haven't even touched the rear yet. Also with a drop of 5" or more int he back i think you should have to get a super panhard bar or atleast adjustable, & shock mount relocation or the shocks are going to run horizontal.
64Burby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 12:44 PM   #12
BigDaddyCMU

There's a company called AIM Industries. They have dropped spindles for I believe $169. My brother has them on his S-15 and they look just as good as the $250 ones. They also have inexpensive dropped springs too.
BigDaddyCMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 04:58 PM   #13
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

JUST MY OPINION,... stay away from shAIM, I mean AIM products. DO a search here, or at sportruck.com, or fullsizechevy.com on AIM product and I think you will find the same response. Cheaper is not always better. Early Classic Enterprises is a good source. Just my 2 cents.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 09:37 PM   #14
Truckhead

$300 as the budget for lowering your truck is unrealistic, save you money till you can afford to lower the truck the correct way. When you cut corners on lowering your truck, in the end you'll double the cost of this job.
Truckhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 12:16 PM   #15
64Burby

Well just yesterday we put the 2.5 drop spindles on the burb, with the early classic drop kit. From drum to disc. ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW, the truck looks badass, and the kit went together SO SO SO SMOOTH, only problem i have, is i got a bad master cylinder and had to buy a cheapy $20 master cylinder to get home. But other then that it was WORTH IT, and the truck still handles AWESOME up front. Very important to me after the last owner trashed the suspension to lower it, its not sitting about where it was when he lowered it but i can take a corner @ 40 without major body roll.
64Burby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 12:19 PM   #16
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Congrats on your success buddy. It sounds like everything went well. Does your Burb have a sway bar? If not, get one on there. It will make a big difference.

BTW- We want PICS!