The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2022, 06:53 PM   #1
AngryPirate

Manual to PS gear swap question

So, I swapped the steering gear from manual to power steering. I got the pitman arm for the PS gear, I (thought) had figured out the middle of the steering rotation on the steering gear and then slid the pitman arm onto the steering gear at the closest matching splines.

Now, when I turn the steering wheel, I get about 1.5 turns in one direction (counter clockwise - left turn) and barely 1.25 turns in the other direction.

Is this expected or did I screw up some where? If so, where?

The next mating splines for the pitman arm on to the steering gear seem too far off.

Also, if I have to remove the pitman arm, is there an easier way than removing the steering gear?

Thanks for any help.
AngryPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 08:56 PM   #2
val1gonzales

Re: Manual to PS gear swap question

Not a major problem. It happens to almost everyone who changes the gearbox. I had the same issue. This is how I did it. You can jack up the front wheels and use jack stands to make wheel movement easier.
First, find and mark the the center of the frame. I measured between lower A-arm bolts then marked the center (bottom mark in pic) with a silver color "Sharpie".
Second, find center of the "Center Link" by measuring it and marking its center (top mark in pic).
Third, align the marks by turning the steering wheel till they aligned as in the pic. Like a timing chain.
Fourth, remove linkage from pitman arm. Once removed, Re-check to make sure marks are still aligned.
Fifth, go to steering wheel and turn till you find equal amount of turns left and right. Find point where equal turns are and mark it on steering column with tape (see pic).
Now steering sector and the linkage is centered. If pitman arm is not in the right location and not able to insert into linkage at that point, give or take a little movement, it doesn't have to be dead on. There is a little tolerance from those marks. If it takes a whole lot of movement then you will need to take it off from the sector (gearbox)and put it into a notch that will allow it to go into the linkage while it's all aligned.
Now, once pitman arm is connected and all is still aligned with the "Marks" and you find your wheels are all cross eyed; you'll need to disconnect tie-rod ends and straighten wheels. I eyeballed the side face to the back wheels with tie-rod disconnected to get a general straightness. Then screw the tie-rods in or out till they insert and wheels are aligned. Try and keep equal amount of threads to both sides of tie-rod adjusting sleeve. Well, hope instructions were good enough to line you up in the right direction. If you need more help let us know.
Attached Images

Last edited by val1gonzales; 03-15-2022 at 09:17 PM.
val1gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 09:12 PM   #3
AngryPirate

That makes sense to me, mostly.

When you did your steering wheel alignment/turns equal on both directions, I assume you hooked the pitman arm back up to the steering gear?

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this up and post pictures.
It’s very much appreciated.

- Scott
AngryPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 09:19 PM   #4
val1gonzales

Yes, pitman arm was still on gearbox. On mine I didn't replace the arm from the used sector and it was close enough to go into the linkage. After going through all the measuring and on mine it was just the tie rod ends and center linkage not being centered.
val1gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote