The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2022, 08:56 PM   #1
jarero

Need BBC engine advice for my 65'

I just bought a 65' GMC and it is an unfinished project and the previous owner didn't have any history or build info on the motor. According to the casting numbers it has a 402 block (not sure if it is a 2 or 4 bolt yet) and 353049 heads. The cam sounds stock to me (no lope) and the rockers are just stock style stamped units. The intake has me baffled since there are no casting numbers on it anywhere so I can't identify it. I haven't had the carb off of it yet but it has a spacer plate which I assume is to go from a spreadbore to the square bore of the Edelbrock 1407 750 carb.

From my understanding the heads are a good flowing head but completely wrong for a stock bottom end if you want to make any power since the large chambers with lower my compression ratio. I stuck a camera in through a spark plug hole and it has stock appearing pistons or at least nothing domed that would help offset the large chamber heads.

With all that being said what would you do with this motor if it was you? I really don't want to invest in a full teardown and build at this time so I am hoping there are some other alternatives that will help make this setup work a little better and not feel as slugish. The most expensive option I would consider right now is bolting on a Weiand blower but I suspect the wife might not sign on for that just yet. Is there a good cam/intake/carb setup that will help make the most of the combo? Are new heads a must? I don't necessarily have a specific goal in mind for power but I would like everything to be well matched up if that makes sense. I guess in general I'm not really sure what to do at this point so you BBC veterans are welcome to chime in and help a guy out.

Some other info about the truck....

Mid length headers
700R4 with a stock feeling stall
12 bolt rear with posi but unknown gears