The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2023, 04:21 PM   #1
jlmerie

Need help 1978 1979 1980 Deluxe door panel trim

I got this pair of later 1970's door panel trim pieces with the intention to use them. It has been years and I have not done anything. My question is if anyone has good ideas how to remove the factory speed nuts without breaking the plastic mounting pins. I had searched for these for years and broke countless mounting pins trying to removed them from the door panels. This last set I found years ago I decided to not even try and remove them. Now I want to see if I can remove the trim. I was thinking about using a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and try to cut the speed nuts off that way. I am also wondering if I can successfully remove the nut and save the pins, is there some way to prepare the pins so they are stronger. I appreciate any ideas.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2023, 08:33 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: Need help 1978 1979 1980 Deluxe door panel trim

On Dad's 77 (which uses the same trim except with a woodgrain insert instead of aluminum), I was able to remove quite a few of the speed nuts without breaking the plastic pins. To do that, I used a small pair of vice grips to grip the tip of the pin (just tight enough to hold it) while using an open end wrench to loosen the nut.

This method had a pretty good success rate, but there were a few pins that were already cracked and just barely hanging on. I don't know if those were over-tightened at the factory or maybe just years of stress and temperature changes caused them to crack. Anyway, I was able to re-attach those with some JB Weld Plastic Bonder.

To help take some of the stress off those pins and hopefully prevent any future breakage, I used a few pieces of thin double-sided emblem mounting tape to stick the inserts to the door panels and to stick the trim pieces to the inserts. It's completely hidden and I figured that would also help keep the trim in place if some of the pins did eventually break. I didn't use a whole lot of that tape though ... didn't want to stick things together too permanently in case they ever have to come apart again.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 08:51 PM   #3
HOTFUN

I've had success with a small dremel type cutoff wheel and carefully go at the very outer of cap nut edge of the two cut tabs. Then try a tiny needle nose pliers or wire snips to peel back or break them ears from the plastic stud. Should be able to slide the rest of the nut up off the stud without those ears dug in.
Now I would never use those type of post cap nuts on my precious nos plastic parts as they were only designed for production and one time use. I find just the right size machine nut for the stud and use the correct thread die to lightly thread the plastic stud. Also try and use a more course thread nut not a finer thread as you are not going for grade 8 holding strength. Thread lightly. It will go on and off like butter and should never bind and dig in to the plastic stud.
'72 Cheyenne Super K20 project
'73 Sierra swb 4x4 frame off in paint stage
'74 Cheyenne Super swb w/16k actual
'71 & 72 Cheyenne K10 4x4 swb's
'70 426 HEMICUDA conv SHAKER 4 sp Dana 60
'60 Impala conv 327 PG fac ac loaded 3rd owner
'72 GMC K2500 4x4
'59 Apache CST BBW fleetside swb 283
'73 ElCamino SS LS1 T56 true SS bucket tach
'76 ElCamino SS 52k survivor
'87 Grand National 41k True 2nd to last built in 1987.
'86 K30 454 SRW fleetside CA since new
'88 Trans Am GTA 39k bought new
2018 DEMON plum crazy @ 840HP! "Need for speed"

Last edited by HOTFUN; 07-17-2023 at 08:58 PM. Reason: more detail
HOTFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 02:11 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Ray is spot on you can try a little wd40 on the shafts to kind of lube it and wipe off when done

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 03:33 PM   #5
jlmerie

I wanted to thank everyone who replied. I was able to save way more than half of the mounting pins and that was after I found out there were 2 or 3 that were already broken. I am pleased with the results. The WD40 suggestion really made a difference. I tried the cutoff wheel also, but it generated too much heat around the plastic door panels. Again, thanks!!
Old 07-23-2023, 07:41 PM   #6
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmerie View Post
I wanted to thank everyone who replied. I was able to save way more than half of the mounting pins and that was after I found out there were 2 or 3 that were already broken. I am pleased with the results. The WD40 suggestion really made a difference. I tried the cutoff wheel also, but it generated too much heat around the plastic door panels. Again, thanks!!
Looks like you got it already, but I was going to suggest the WD40 method also. It seems like every stud would break, but someone suggested that method and it worked. I spray and let them soak for awhile before trying. When I did finally stared with a nut, I would lightly go back & forth until it seemed like it would back off easily. I don’t believe I have broken any since then.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 02:02 PM   #7
jlmerie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Looks like you got it already, but I was going to suggest the WD40 method also. It seems like every stud would break, but someone suggested that method and it worked. I spray and let them soak for awhile before trying. When I did finally stared with a nut, I would lightly go back & forth until it seemed like it would back off easily. I don’t believe I have broken any since then.
Thanks. If someone is coming back and reading this, I would add one thing. Those mounting pins must have been very strong back in the day. Many that I see have been attached with enough torque to literally bury part of the speed nut into the plastic. Before trying to remove them, I went around with a sharp knife and cut away the plastic that was around the nut. It helps to free them up a little.
Old 07-24-2023, 04:50 PM   #8
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmerie View Post
Thanks. If someone is coming back and reading this, I would add one thing. Those mounting pins must have been very strong back in the day. Many that I see have been attached with enough torque to literally bury part of the speed nut into the plastic. Before trying to remove them, I went around with a sharp knife and cut away the plastic that was around the nut. It helps to free them up a little.
Yes they did bury them into the plastic. That’s where I worked them back & forth to get them out of the plastic. But cutting away the plastic would certainly help.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 08:07 AM   #9
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

My 1980 K20….

57NAPCO is online now   Reply With Quote